Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

30 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

This ripped ma knitting too. There should be retrospective bans for that.

SO is fine, I enjoy it at times but I come and go in spells. Not been on in a while but soon I'll go back to posting on it and then disappear again.  I think Andy P is a big miss to that website. RIP to him.

Aye, it's not the same without Andy. I post maybe once a month on there, if that, under a different name. It's good for the match threads when there's no stream, but the roaster quotient is undeniably climbing.

Aye. I abandoned a while ago simply because I didn't really enjoy the chat on there. No harm, everyone views football in general and their club in different ways, but the prevailing wind wasn't for me. 

I'm well into my 30s, football is class and I love being at games, but it certainly doesn't bother me anything like it used to when we lose. By the time I'm down the road I'm over it. 

That said, a wee win and I'm Bouncing for Days.

6 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, it is what it is - it has the same faults as most single club forums in so much as it's incredibly one-eyed and the result is a completely skewed perspective - some of the absolutely mental "could do a job" shouts confirm that there are plenty of posters who don't pay any attention to other sides.

See, I’ve got all the time in the world for folks mental takes on things. Despite having a season ticket almost 30 years and watching a lot of other football, I’m not particularly tactically aware nor knowledgable on the wider game. I talk as much shite as anyone. It just seems there’s a handful of posters determined to make personal digs in every post rather than address the point. Makes for tedious reading. 

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

SO is fine, I enjoy it at times but I come and go in spells. Not been on in a while but soon I'll go back to posting on it and then disappear again.  I think Andy P is a big miss to that website. RIP to him.

100%

I'm predominately a reader pretty much nowadays.

I find both Steelmen Online and on here are very cliquey to be honest.

14 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I wish something could be done as I think we will see more of it (along with sneaky use of concussion subs) - but practically I don't know how it could work unless it was really blatant and there was some actual willingness to act on it (not sure if the "compliance officer" even looks at stuff like that).

On Steelmen - I've never really posted on it but I've read it from the WTFC days and I've got no problem with it (even if I'm rarely on it now) - it's no worse than other single club forums (and it shares the same trait for over the top negativity with all of them) - and given some of the grim stuff I've read on other club forums when I'm having some drive-by schadenfreude on a Saturday night, it's a lot better than some.  

Put this in Rangers match thread by mistake !

This may be considered herecy but I am starting to wonder how good a season Liam Kelly is having. 

I mean he single handedly landed us the 3 points v St Mirren with two outstanding saves and an all round baller of a performance but since then….

As it is he is well down the chart for % saves v shots on target. Rangers had 4 shots on target = 2 goals. 

I 100% agree the outfield players had more input or lack of input in stopping Tillman yesterday, but again wondered about Kelly positioning. Almost gave him more than half the goal to shoot at. It was a good finish but I could kind of see Craig Gordon blocking the shot or having a better attempt than Kelly. 

Maybe being harsh but I cannot remember too many decent saves recently.

I don't think he's as good as some think.

He's very decent for our level. Has a wonder save in him but i just don't have the same confidence/expectation I had in Carson or Gillespie..
After a bit of an inconsistent start, and despite being written off by some of the less knowledgeable in our support, Carson has been excellent for us.

15 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

In rugby in the event of a head injury you need to go off the park for an head injury assessment by a doctor, maybe if they are down to 10 men for a few minutes, or have to bring a sub on, they might be made to thing twice before faking it. 

Edited by Dosser1886

43 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He's very decent for our level. Has a wonder save in him but i just don't have the same confidence/expectation I had in Carson or Gillespie..

I have no issues with Kelly but wouldn’t be averse to playing the the big sub goalie tomorrow to see what he is about. (On the assumption that he is really here to challenge and not just make up the numbers.)

I'm in no way whatsoever suggesting we need to get rid or drop him, I just think folks expectations are a bit high.
As someone suggested I've seen goals we've lost where it would be unfair to blame Kelly but I have thought, Carson/Gillespie/Randolph would have saved 30-50% of them. Unfair comparing to Randolph as he was class.

36 minutes ago, FTOF said:
58 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

After a bit of an inconsistent start, and despite being written off by some of the less knowledgeable in our support, Carson has been excellent for us.

He got really unlucky with us, Few bad injuries and we had Gillespie or just splashed the cash on Kelly. He'd have been Celtic's no.1 a few years ago if they'd just gave us a couple of hundred grand and not been tight as f**k.
I really like him and hope he get back to being No.1 for N. Ireland.

9 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I find both Steelmen Online and on here are very cliquey to be honest.

This is your way of saying you prefer Chinese food over Indian food, isn't it?

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

He got really unlucky with us, Few bad injuries and we had Gillespie or just splashed the cash on Kelly. He'd have been Celtic's no.1 a few years ago if they'd just gave us a couple of hundred grand and not been tight as f**k.
I really like him and hope he get back to being No.1 for N. Ireland.

Aye, Carson was a great 'keeper for us.  As has been said, if Celtic weren't such tight arses, he'd have basically the career Scott Bain has now.  Titles, cups, (more) international recognition and a tremendously healthy bank balance.  

Seems a cracking guy as well. I hope he gets a right good run of games at St. Mirren.  

I'd have Carson and Kelly around the same level as well - both upper mid-level Scottish Premiership keepers. Kelly is only 26 though which is fairly young in goalkeeper terms, he arguably has another 4-5 years before he's at his peak assuming he is capable of improving further. 

Gillespie is ahead of both though. I've always been slightly annoyed that he effectively hasn't played a competitive game since he left us as I really thought he could go far. I guess you can't really argue with him signing for the team he supports in the EPL and, I would imagine, even as 3rd choice/reserve keeper, taking home a tonne more money that he'd be on at every Scottish Premiership team bar two  

1 minute ago, dezz said:

I'd have Carson and Kelly around the same level as well - both upper mid-level Scottish Premiership keepers. Kelly is only 26 though which is fairly young in goalkeeper terms, he arguably has another 4-5 years before he's at his peak assuming he is capable of improving further. 

Gillespie is ahead of both though. I've always been slightly annoyed that he effectively hasn't played a competitive game since he left us as I really thought he could go far. I guess you can't really argue with him signing for the team he supports in the EPL and, I would imagine, even as 3rd choice/reserve keeper, taking home a tonne more money that he'd be on at every Scottish Premiership team bar two  

Yea, Carson and Kelly are of a similar standard but perhaps Carson is more commanding in the air. Kelly ain't great with cross balls but he is what he is.

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think the watered down/injured version of Carson is clouding people's judgement. Carson was twice the goalie Kelly is. For me a least.

I'll respect yer opinions.

Agree, really felt for him with his serious health issues and how it affected his career with us, and selfishly what we missed out on. Great to see him back, doing his stuff fit and healthy, unfortunately with another club but wish him all the very best.

39 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'd put Carson and Kelly around similar levels, with Gillespie slightly higher.

I'd agree with this - of all our "good" keepers over the years, Gillespie was probably the least "showy" - he didn't make many mistakes but wasn't one for big flashy saves either - he tended to rely on decent positioning and made a lot of stuff look easy as a result.

As we had the two on the books at the same time (which still feels crazy) - it's pretty wild to see how the Sliding Doors worked out for them - Gillespie is a millionaire who trains for a living at an EPL team, Carson is still at the same level due to Celtic taking the piss and his DVT.

Carson = good guy and I hope he has a decent end to his career.

I would say peak Carson was better than Gillespie.  The latter seemed to get a bit more attention on him as he was fond of a penalty save or three.

Fair fucks to Gillespie though.  He knew full well that he was going to Newcastle simply to fulfil a requirement to have x amount of 'homegrown' players.  He knew that he'd never play in the first team at EPL level, but his bank balance will be sensational and he's back living at home.  There's an argument that it's a waste of some of the most important years of his career, but he'll have some good stories to tell his mates in 10/20 years time. Plus, he's training with top level 'keepers and coaches which will see him alright when he inevitably falls down the leagues when his contract is up. 

As for Kelly?  I very much doubt we'll see a return on the quite significant (for our standards, anyway) we shelled, and continue to shell, out on him.