Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

53 minutes ago, Handsome John said:

Having seen these comments and also the ones you made on Twitter, you are clearly comparing the two separate incidents and are advocating a 10 match ban in line with Lafferty’s potential punishment. 

A 10 match ban is the minimum for offences where players "use offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or actions which include(s) a reference, whether express or implied, to any one or more of the following :- ethnic religion, colour, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation or disability".

Whether you agree with that or not (and I personally think there should be more nuance, particularly in off-field cases), if Slattery is found guilty of the legal charge then he clearly meets the SFA criteria above and should be banned.

The Lafferty one is a precedent in that it was an off-field incident which the SFA have intervened in. A 35 year-old getting involved in that sort of nonsense based on a minor provocation is clearly worse than Slattery doing so whilst drunk and emotionally charged, but ultimately both are miles out of line and that ban is the minimum specified for such offences.

31 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

A 10 match ban is the minimum for offences where players "use offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or actions which include(s) a reference, whether express or implied, to any one or more of the following :- ethnic religion, colour, race, nationality, religion or belief, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation or disability".

Whether you agree with that or not (and I personally think there should be more nuance, particularly in off-field cases), if Slattery is found guilty of the legal charge then he clearly meets the SFA criteria above and should be banned.

The Lafferty one is a precedent in that it was an off-field incident which the SFA have intervened in. A 35 year-old getting involved in that sort of nonsense based on a minor provocation is clearly worse than Slattery doing so whilst drunk and emotionally charged, but ultimately both are miles out of line and that ban is the minimum specified for such offences.

Just to be clear then, the earlier denial about comparing the actions of both was just bull then? 

Slattery does not need to be found guilty of the offence as he pled as such if you’d read the full article. 

A difference in the incidents I suppose too is that Lafferty’s offence was whilst being away with his national team and possibly still within the terms of being “on-duty” if you like. Not sure if that is a factor in the SFA’s thinking? 

if 10 games is the minimum and Lafferty’s offence was clearly worse, would you accept a 15 match ban for Lafferty and 10 for Slattery? 

I'm not "comparing" in the sense of suggesting they were equivalent. I'm comparing in the sense that both are footballers who were involved in discriminatory behaviour away from their jobs, and both stories have come out recently. If I hadn't mentioned Lafferty someone would have inevitably lashed out with some whataboutery (as though I was somehow responsible for Lafferty's behaviour, which I've already condemned), so I thought it was worth doing.

I missed that he'd pled guilty to the homophobia, seems like an open and shut case for the SFA in that scenario. In terms of the different lengths of bans, that's fair enough if they want to do that (though players still get a 2 match ban for violent conduct whether they kick someone in the leg or punch them full force in the face, even though one is clearly worse than the other). However, it's hard to see how Slattery can avoid punishment here in the context that stuff away from the pitch is clearly fair game for punishment (rightly or wrongly).

None of that was the purpose of my posting though, the point was that I was disappointed to see fans on here (and especially on Twitter in the replies/quote tweets to that STV article) excusing or ignoring his homophobia.

In other news...

The bold Cedric getting in to the team of the week...
image.png.381aaee41851de4ceac009c9507b6223.png

I've also managed to watch Wee Al playing for Luton a couple of times on telly.   Maybe it's how / where he was being played, but he barely seemed to get a touch on the ball... not the presence he was last season.   Still, he didn't get subbed, suggests he's at least doing what the gaffer wants in denying space or whatever it is (that doesn't involve the actual football)

41 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Homophobia is fine as long as you're grieving and/or drunk. Deary me.

As I pointed out, not in common for cops to add “racist/homophobic slur” to a wrap sheet, it’s your word against them.

Not as if he said it on camera.

36 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

IImporting cocaine for a living is fine as long as the team keep winning. 

Who's said that?

5 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

As I pointed out, not in common for cops to add “racist/homophobic slur” to a wrap sheet, it’s your word against them.

Not as if he said it on camera.

"I'll give him a pass because no one filmed him and they maybe probably lied" is slightly better than "I'll give him a pass because he had a drink", I'll give you that.

32 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

"I'll give him a pass because no one filmed him and they maybe probably lied" is slightly better than "I'll give him a pass because he had a drink", I'll give you that.

Don’t be a roaster. I said before you tried to spin it that one that’s guilt is unequivocal and another it’s hearsay alleged by a cop who had dealt with some pretty embarrassing “do you who I am?” behaviour. Do you know what he pled guilty to? I’m gonna have a big fat guess and say f**k all, a bit like how your opinion matters to anyone other than yourself.

Folk spending a good bit of their day digging out passages from rules and regs, Twitter agenda rambles and popping onto another teams thread to give their two cents worth for nothing more than a cyber social warrior who should put more effort into how they are losing their virginity this weekend.

Edited by Kapowzer

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not "comparing" in the sense of suggesting they were equivalent. I'm comparing in the sense that both are footballers who were involved in discriminatory behaviour away from their jobs, and both stories have come out recently. If I hadn't mentioned Lafferty someone would have inevitably lashed out with some whataboutery (as though I was somehow responsible for Lafferty's behaviour, which I've already condemned), so I thought it was worth doing.

I missed that he'd pled guilty to the homophobia, seems like an open and shut case for the SFA in that scenario. In terms of the different lengths of bans, that's fair enough if they want to do that (though players still get a 2 match ban for violent conduct whether they kick someone in the leg or punch them full force in the face, even though one is clearly worse than the other). However, it's hard to see how Slattery can avoid punishment here in the context that stuff away from the pitch is clearly fair game for punishment (rightly or wrongly).

None of that was the purpose of my posting though, the point was that I was disappointed to see fans on here (and especially on Twitter in the replies/quote tweets to that STV article) excusing or ignoring his homophobia.

I watched the Lafferty vid and he was basically set up by a couple of of wideos with a phone and he reacted. His choice of words was very poor but a lengthy ban for me is not proportionate. A fine and a diversity course would be more fitting. If Slattery is found guilty of a homophobic slur then I think the same.

The idea that these guys should automatically face a lengthy footballing ban is virtue signalling nonsense.

Knowing everyone involved barring Slattery let me cast some light.

Slattery came into an area where he didn't know anyone accompanied by another Motherwell player.

He made a total twat of himself but was removed without any real harm barring his pride.

His anger them came out to the cops hence the charges.

Talking to everyone that night he was a pest but no worse than that and no worse than 100 other guys in the Merchant City that weekend. 

Guesswork on everyones behalf thought he was a two can dan that wasn't used to drinking.

That's what happened make of it as you will.

I gave some enlightment on SteelmenOnline, when everyone bewildered said that Alexander and Slatts had fallen out.

My thoughts, done & dealt with, he would be a mug to make the same mistake again.