Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

On the other point, without going full "yer da", I'm not sure I want to know equates to a "unicorn" in football 😆

It's a phrase I've become familiar with from listening to the Bill Simmons podcast on The RInger where it's generally used in reference to basketball:

In basketball, the term "unicorn" has been used to describe NBA players who are both versatile and dynamic. Think Kristaps Porzingis, the 7'3" New York Knicks big man who can score, defend and make plays like a guard. Or 6'11" Milwaukee Bucks point forward Giannis Antetokounmpo, who is both an effortless scorer and a bully in the paint. Such versatility is a rare commodity on the court—a mixture of talent and skill that can transcend position and, in time, maybe the parameters of the game itself.

If unicorns in the NBA are unique—and like the mythical creature, hard to find—Green and his group are trying to prove the description can be bigger and more ubiquitous. In a recent interview, Green told Home Team Hoops that he can take the nickname to the next level.

Link

I'd imagine that the principle is the same with the way The Athletic are using it.

Edited by capt_oats

I don't know how Gallagher has been playing generally but on the first day of the season against us, he looked far more like the player from his first season at Fir Park rather than the mess at Aberdeen - so if he's been playing like that, I can the see the logic.
He's been excellent for us. I know the green bigots were pretty shite at the weekend, but he strolled through the game.

I was wasn't jumping with joy, when he signed, but he's been a revelation.

Also, and I know this is hard to believe, but Dunne has been brilliant too.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

He's been excellent for us. I know the green bigots were pretty shite at the weekend, but he strolled through the game.

I was wasn't jumping with joy, when he signed, but he's been a revelation.

Also, and I know this is hard to believe, but Dunne has been brilliant too.

Aye, not many doubted Gallagher's quality as a centre-half at Scottish Premiership level.  It's the fact he's a complete arsehole off the park which means many don't rate him as highly as they should. In terms of him being called up for Scotland again, he's in form and Clarke knows exactly what he's getting.  No brainer in terms of getting cover in, just in case.

As for Charlie Dunne, he's got plenty of errors in him but he's rapid enough that he can bail himself out of most of them.  A very competent defender at this level.  I'm chuffed to see him playing well and injury free.  Still see him very regularly in Motherwell Asda.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Looked a really good Motherwell side. We had a couple of 05s missing from defence which made a slight difference but there's some talent in that team. Not sure who's who so couldn't pick out any names.

This has really been the messaging from the club before and after Hammell's appointment - basically there's a group around that age range that the club is genuinely excited about. It's not even a case of reading between the lines - it's clear there was a concern that Alexander wasn't as committed to the pathway between academy and first team. 

Still slightly annoying that we're having to rely on updates and reports from other clubs to hear about them like.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

This has really been the messaging from the club before and after Hammell's appointment - basically there's a group around that age range that the club is genuinely excited about. It's not even a case of reading between the lines - it's clear there was a concern that Alexander wasn't as committed to the pathway between academy and first team. 

Still slightly annoying that we're having to rely on updates and reports from other clubs to hear about them like.

Yeah there isn't the same coverage as there was with the reserves, plus apparently there's some issue with team sheets at that level. I was quite interested in finding out who some of Motherwell's players were and if they were 05s or 06s but no luck. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah there isn't the same coverage as there was with the reserves, plus apparently there's some issue with team sheets at that level. I was quite interested in finding out who some of Motherwell's players were and if they were 05s or 06s but no luck. 

How is your academy fairing since dropping out the premier? Well regarded and produced a lot of talent and naturally money for your club. Certainly the envy of many with more resources over the past decade.

You going through the inevitable cycle at the moment that all clubs combat, bad day at the office, or were we that good?

You guys still churning out decent players at the same rate?

Edited by Kapowzer

28 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

How is your academy fairing since dropping out the premier? Well regarded and produced a lot of talent and naturally money for your club. Certainly the envy of many with more resources over the past decade.

You gong through the inevitable cycle at the moment that all clubs combat, bad day at the office, or were we that good?

You guys still churning out decent players at the same rate?

This is actually us on the verge of a potentially good cycle. We had a wilderness after the bunch who made it to Europe in 2018, but there are some exciting 16-year-olds in the team that played today. 

On 24/09/2022 at 10:28, capt_oats said:

Alan Burrows appreciation post.

I was interested in the "I don't know how many years left I have at Motherwell" part - reminiscent of the hints that Nicola Sturgeon has been dropping over the past couple of years :)

3 hours ago, Swello said:

I was interested in the "I don't know how many years left I have at Motherwell" part - reminiscent of the hints that Nicola Sturgeon has been dropping over the past couple of years :)

Flow for First Minister? Could do a job.