Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 20/09/2022 at 21:57, capt_oats said:

I'm not sure that's entirely fair given the only time we've seen SOD play RB under Hammell was when he was subbed on for McGinn against St Mirren in Hammell's first game in charge.

Every other game he's been played out of position at LB.

Yeah, I did think that as I was typing it too. GA did restrict the full backs to a certain extent so it's not exactly like for like. But when SOD did get into forward positions he was, in my opinion, not as good as McGinn has looked so far. 

Im not a SOD boo boy either btw. I do think he is generally fine..McGinn a slight upgrade for me though. Maj my because he doesn't run like a weirdo. 

13 hours ago, welldaft said:

Jesus it really is Motherwellesque. 

13 hours ago, welldaft said:

I see Scotland have taken over our inept shooting duties. Blazing over the bar from 10 yards out - ✔️

Glad I wasn’t the only one thinking that. 

22 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Do bottle and sell your optimism? If so sign me up.

I like to think of it as winning 9/18 points over the 6 games. If we want to do decently we'll this season we need to beat the likes of utd and County. The old firm games I'm basically writing off but there is a small bit of hope to potentially getting a draw in one?

The league cup is the one we're I'm dreaming like it's 2017 again and we're in hampden against rangers.

2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

I like to think of it as winning 9/18 points over the 6 games. If we want to do decently we'll this season we need to beat the likes of utd and County. The old firm games I'm basically writing off but there is a small bit of hope to potentially getting a draw in one?

The league cup is the one we're I'm dreaming like it's 2017 again and we're in hampden against rangers.

So 9 points from 4 games then when we're averaging 1.5 pints a game from the those outwith the top 3? Not saying it can't be done but it needs moving up a gear or two.

Celtic in the league cup though, you can only hope they'll rest as many and give the diddy cup minimal respect. Celtic's second string is still a daunting prospect to counter. However inspiration should be taken from Sunday.

Hmmm...

Motherwell have been given a boost with Ricki Lamie and Joe Efford expected to be fit to face Celtic next week after both limped off in Sunday’s 3-0 defeat to Hearts.

However Rolando Aarons is still being assessed for a hamstring injury after he too hobbled out of the Jambos clash just 15 minutes after coming off the bench to replace Efford. Lamie was nursing a knee knock while winger Efford tweaked a hamstring in the first half at Fir Park and boss Steven Hammell said immediately afterwards that the injuries “don’t look good”.

But Record Sport understands the knocks aren’t as bad as first feared and the duo should be fine for the trip to face the champions next Saturday. Meanwhile Hammell insists Well fans can look forward to seeing more of Stuart McKinstry after the birthday boy impressed off the bench against Hearts. The Motherwell academy graduate moved back to Fir Park on loan from Leeds United last month but has been limited to three substitute appearances so far.

Link

Hope it’s alright to share on here, I had Blair Spittal on my podcast this week. He’s clearly buzzing to be at Motherwell and seems to have settled in well. Any shares or follows are appreciated on social media which is @HeadItPodcast. Feedback also appreciated, hope you all enjoy😁👍🏻

YouTube:

Spotify:

Apple:https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-blair-spittal/id1570371231?i=1000580306786

Cheers

Ross

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

I missed it at the time, why was Slattery not in the squad on Sunday?

covid? Injured or disciplinary ban?

Callum Slattery’s had a bit of bad news in his family so it was personal reasons that we left him out. He’s been magnificent for us this season and he was a massive loss to us but some things are more important.”

4 hours ago, rossd98 said:

Hope it’s alright to share on here, I had Blair Spittal on my podcast this week. He’s clearly buzzing to be at Motherwell and seems to have settled in well. Any shares or follows are appreciated on social media which is @HeadItPodcast. Feedback also appreciated, hope you all enjoy😁👍🏻

YouTube:

Spotify:

Apple:https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-blair-spittal/id1570371231?i=1000580306786

Cheers

Ross

Good listen but has he serious not seen the buses leaving Motherwell for Glasgow lol

I see Gallagher and Doig have been added to the Scotland squad.

I'd have thought SOD being a trusted, safe pair of hands for Clarke might have got him in, especially when we've added a fourth left-back when it's a right back that's been injured. I'd have even thought McGinn would've been worth a shout over Doig.

Didn't expect Gallagher to ever get a Scotland recall, but with Souttar, Cooper and Hanley out and the change in shape, you can see why he'd want more than three centre-backs in the squad. I never thought I'd utter this sentence a while back, but I pray McKenna or Hendry don't get injured or suspended tomorrow.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I see Gallagher and Doig have been added to the Scotland squad.

I'd have thought SOD being a trusted, safe pair of hands for Clarke might have got him in, especially when we've added a fourth left-back when it's a right back that's been injured. I'd have even thought McGinn would've been worth a shout over Doig.

Didn't expect Gallagher to ever get a Scotland recall, but with Souttar, Cooper and Hanley out and the change in shape, you can see why he'd want more than three centre-backs in the squad. I never thought I'd utter this sentence a while back, but I pray McKenna or Hendry don't get injured or suspended tomorrow.

I don't know how Gallagher has been playing generally but on the first day of the season against us, he looked far more like the player from his first season at Fir Park rather than the mess at Aberdeen - so if he's been playing like that, I can the see the logic.

2 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think O'Donnell is done with Scotland. I realise this is v much reading between various lines, but around the last squad announcement, he was sharing framed Scotland shirt photos on Instagram, which felt, I dunno "I'm done with that now". 

TBF to Doig as well, he can play basically anywhere on the left, and gives Clarke the options as part of a 3, there was a bit in the Athletic describing him as a 'Unicorn'; https://theathletic.com/3474295/2022/08/09/summer-transfer-signings-tel-jovic-doig/ and realistically, he makes much more sense as a call-up than McGinn longer term. 

10 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I think O'Donnell is done with Scotland. I realise this is v much reading between various lines, but around the last squad announcement, he was sharing framed Scotland shirt photos on Instagram, which felt, I dunno "I'm done with that now". 

TBF to Doig as well, he can play basically anywhere on the left, and gives Clarke the options as part of a 3, there was a bit in the Athletic describing him as a 'Unicorn'; https://theathletic.com/3474295/2022/08/09/summer-transfer-signings-tel-jovic-doig/ and realistically, he makes much more sense as a call-up than McGinn longer term. 

I agree with that. I reckon Clarke kept him in the summer squad with a view that the World Cup, had we got there, would be his last hurrah. But given the next possible tournament for us in a couple of years, it makes perfect sense to prioritise Patterson, Hickey and maybe Ralston.

On the other point, without going full "yer da", I'm not sure I want to know equates to a "unicorn" in football 😆