Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

37 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

He put himself about and there's no arguing with his graft but the ball just didn't really stick. He doesn't feel like a back to goal striker at all.

He had a good chance in the first half (at least I think it was him) where the QP defence fucked it and passed the ball straight to him on the edge of the box but he took a bit too long to get his shot away (not unlike the position Watt found himself in for United at the weekend but without the confusion).

Actually it turns out it was the build up to the first goal:

Maybe it was confirmation bias on my part but it kind of reinforced the point @crazylegsjoe_mfc made a few pages back.

That definitely rings true.

It may have been entirely a coincidence or he was keen to beat the traffic but I noticed McPake pretty much up and left as soon as Shields was subbed off.

Are we still able to loan out Shields to Dunfermline then as they are in a lower league? I guess if that went through it might tempt Hammy to find another forward in the OOC list ?

Nothing against Shields personally, he obviously trains like a bear, but I find him a very frustrating watch 🤷‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

The attached tweet took a couple of seconds to load for me there and with an initial glance I nearly fell off my chair.

Same here. The media seriously need to start warning folk - “The following content contains a surname some viewers may find upsetting”

21 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Are we still able to loan out Shields to Dunfermline then as they are in a lower league? I guess if that went through it might tempt Hammy to find another forward in the OOC list ?

Nothing against Shields personally, he obviously trains like a bear, but I find him a very frustrating watch 🤷‍♂️

Aye lower leagues can loan in players until the end of the month.

Like I say, I'm not suggesting that there's anything in it - McPake may just have decided to f**k off early and the fact is Shields started most of Hammell's opening games doesn't hint at us huckling him out the door.

It's just that Alexander mentioned last season that Shields had chapped his door about wanting to go out on loan if he wasn't going to get regular games and as it stands we've got Van Veen and Moult as our #9s, Spittal, McKinstry and Aarons as wide options with Efford having started ahead of him in the last 2 games.

It feels like Shields is someone that teams in the lower leagues could actually want given his time at QoS.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

He put himself about and there's no arguing with his graft but the ball just didn't really stick. He doesn't feel like a back to goal striker at all.

Didn’t really stick is correct, in fact rebounded 5 yards would describe it also.

Also, surely Sheilds wouldn't be dropping to League 1?  That's where McPake & Dunfermline are, isn't it?

It's not really worked for him at Motherwell but sometimes it just doesn't happen for certain players at certain clubs.  I've always thought there's a player in there and wanted him to do well, and it wouldn't surprise me in anyway to see him go away and do a turn at say a St Johnstone, Livingston, Ross County etc.

18 minutes ago, ropy said:

As a side note on yesterday’s game, Queens Park used the Covid changing rooms, not sure why.

I think our youth/reserve teams use the away changing room as their own with the home changing room reserved for the first team, so I’m guessing that’s why QP were shunted to the covid one. 

5 hours ago, Desp said:

I wonder, if Sheilds does go, whether the boy in the East Stand who shouts "come on Connor!!" every 24 seconds he's on the pitch will follow him to his new team. 

He moved on to "C'mon Joe!" the Inverness game. He'll have a list of back up names.

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Aye lower leagues can loan in players until the end of the month.

Like I say, I'm not suggesting that there's anything in it - McPake may just have decided to f**k off early and the fact is Shields started most of Hammell's opening games doesn't hint at us huckling him out the door.

It's just that Alexander mentioned last season that Shields had chapped his door about wanting to go out on loan if he wasn't going to get regular games and as it stands we've got Van Veen and Moult as our #9s, Spittal, McKinstry and Aarons as wide options with Efford having started ahead of him in the last 2 games.

It feels like Shields is someone that teams in the lower leagues could actually want given his time at QoS.

Cheers , yes I get the impression he still has a decent reputation at championship level and would not be surprised to see him out on loan 👍

14 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

HammellBall is going to eviscerate Rangers.

From what I've seen of them so far, I'd certainly be having a go. Another couple of games to fine tune our new, expansive style and I'm gaining confidence that we can at long last take the game to them and do these cvnts.

From what I've seen of them so far, I'd certainly be having a go. Another couple of games to fine tune our new, expansive style and I'm gaining confidence that we can at long last take the game to them and do these cvnts.
You've fucked it mate. They'll take about 6 off us now.

11 hours ago, ropy said:

As a side note on yesterday’s game, Queens Park used the Covid changing rooms, not sure why.

And why didn't we change the tops after the torrential rain that we had , seemed crazy that the ref came out all fresh and our players still had their soaking wet kit on