Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'm curious as to whether that boat we were gently easing out for Snodgrass was for him and only him or if it was reallocated to get Moult in the building.

Similarly were we looking at Snodgrass because it was *him* and he was available or is the feeling that we actually need to add someone for that role? As to me neither Moult or Aarons are similar players.

To go back to Hammell's press conference on Friday he mentioned that "we've still got some options we can explore" and when asked about whether we were looking at the free agent market his reply was "potentially, yeah".

So, with that, I assume we have someone diligently working their way through the Transfermarkt list: 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/vertragslosespieler

Few familiar names there. What are the chances of anyone we’ve actually heard of rocking up on a free.

48 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Not that we'd ever be signing him or that it's even anything to do with Motherwell but, on looking through that list, it baffles me that no one has signed Tom Rogic yet.

I think I have as much of a soft spot for Rogic as it's possible to have for an Old Firm player. Regularly an absolute p***k against us but f**k me was it good to watch.

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think I have as much of a soft spot for Rogic as it's possible to have for an Old Firm player. Regularly an absolute p***k against us but f**k me was it good to watch.

I like a world where we miss on Steven Davis and Robert Snodgrass, so just sign Tom Rogic and his lovely soft feet.

8 hours ago, Alanos said:

Few familiar names there. What are the chances of anyone we’ve actually heard of rocking up on a free.

For avoidance of doubt I wasn't being entirely serious.

Although, I am interested to see if any free agents pitch up and whether that sort of profile of player is something that interests Hammell generally - not even necessarily to improve the team but to add off it as it still feels like we're running a bit of a skeleton coaching staff at the moment.

To that point adding a player who has experience and has spent his career at a high level would probably have been A.Good.Thing especially if the plan is to integrate more youth into the first team as we go.

The same was true when we were linked with Steven Davis.

With Snodgrass, he was a free agent and fair fucks to him for keeping his options open - no snark towards him from me. It's nice to know we at least made a pitch and tbh it's something that felt viable at least until Boyce got crippled.

Also, fair play to Hammell for just fronting up and saying "Aye, we've made him an offer". The past 18 months of Alexander trying to play "mind games" and going secret squirrel with absolutely everything has just been fucking exhausting.

Going back as far as McClair through the versions of McFadden then McDonald, Pearson and even McCormack it feels like the bracket of players who have played at a high level that we've actually managed to get over the line, have invariably been the ones who had a previous history at the club.

Which I suppose is understandable.

Edited by capt_oats

Incidentally with Johnston away to Cove that our squad looking like this:

GK: Kelly, Oxborough, Connelly
DF: O'Donnell, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinn, Penney
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Cornelius Tierney, Goss
FW: Van Veen, Efford, McKinstry (loan), Aarons (loan), Moult (loan), Morris, Mahon, Shields

Total: 23

Injured: Carroll, McGinley
Loaned out: Fox, Johnston, Devine

Tbh, it wouldn't be a massive surprise if another couple were loaned out eh?

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, capt_oats said:

To go back to Hammell's press conference on Friday he mentioned that "we've still got some options we can explore" and when asked about whether we were looking at the free agent market his reply was "potentially, yeah".

So, with that, I assume we have someone diligently working their way through the Transfermarkt list:

Yeh, I picked up on that too. I wasn't sure whether he was referring to Moult, who signed after the presser, as we know, or to AN Other who is a free agent.  

1 minute ago, Dosser2014 said:

Yeh, I picked up on that too. I wasn't sure whether he was referring to Moult, who signed after the presser, as we know, or to AN Other who is a free agent.  

I mean, Moult wasn't/isn't a free agent so I kind of ruled that out and I assume the deal was done, it just hadn't been formally announced.

I suppose 'potentially' it could have been Snodgrass but I imagine we'd have taken the hint by then.

It's entirely possible there's nothing in it and he was just being non-committal but the fact he mentioned that we were trying to get some things done on deadline day that didn't happen and also the deal being on the table for Snodgrass makes me wonder if we're still looking.

2 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Did Moult come on yesterday btw?

He did, aye. Subbed on for Shields who had been playing as the #9.

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, Moult wasn't/isn't a free agent so I kind of ruled that out and I assume the deal was done, it just hadn't been formally announced.

I suppose 'potentially' it could have been Snodgrass but I imagine we'd have taken the hint by then.

It's entirely possible there's nothing in it and he was just being non-committal but the fact he mentioned that we were trying to get some things done on deadline day that didn't happen and also the deal being on the table for Snodgrass makes me wonder if we're still looking.

He did, aye. Subbed on for Shields who had been playing as the #9.

How did he do, in what I imagine was a short cameo, is his knee in one piece haha.

12 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

How did he do, in what I imagine was a short cameo, is his knee in one piece haha.

He ran about a bit and as far as I could see didn't break.

@ropy mentioned it earlier in the thread he had one really good chance where he got in behind 1 v 1 with the 'keeper but hit his shot straight at him from a narrow angle.

To tie things back to the chat about the Caley and United games one of the interesting things about yesterday was we were pretty much playing a 4231 rather than a 433.

It's interesting (IMO) given it's not a shape we've used with any great success since McCall's time at the club which, coincidentally, was one of the better footballing sides we've had in recent years (until it wasn't and he nearly relegated us).

Edited by capt_oats

On 04/09/2022 at 16:57, Kapowzer said:

I remember reading a thing about Jock Wallace when he was at Celtic. When he’d go to watch the opposition he had a piece of paper divided it in half and used his pen to trace roughly where team he was there to see played. It would leave lots of scrubbed of blue but pockets of white. He exploited the gaps and doubled down on their go-to’s. Pretty simple stuff.

Now there would  be a metric on players pre game carbohydrate intake over adidas or Nike boots collated referenced against xG (which I still don’t fully grasp).

Seems my affliction is spreading:

E10197E6-C242-464A-B354-8633941779D6.thumb.jpeg.39ad61d65c2d3bdb00e4b4217ffe5814.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Swello said:

How did Shields do up front? (I know he didn't score obviously)

He put himself about and there's no arguing with his graft but the ball just didn't really stick. He doesn't feel like a back to goal striker at all.

He had a good chance in the first half (at least I think it was him) where the QP defence fucked it and passed the ball straight to him on the edge of the box but he took a bit too long to get his shot away (not unlike the position Watt found himself in for United at the weekend but without the confusion).

Actually it turns out it was the build up to the first goal:

"The Steelmen struck first in the 28th minute. A slack backpass was pounced upon by Shields who forced a good save but from the resulting phase of play Rolando Aarons’ skilful rabona cross on the right wing was fired home by Stephen O’Donnell."

Link

Maybe it was confirmation bias on my part but it kind of reinforced the point @crazylegsjoe_mfc made a few pages back.

On 30/08/2022 at 13:09, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think rather than anywhere across the front three, Shields can actually play nowhere across the front three. He's certainly not a winger and I don't think he's a number 9 in that system either.

I think he can only play off a main striker in a front two, but it's certainly not worth changing our style to try and work that out. 

He's obviously unlikely to leave if he's started every game, but I'm less convinced about him having an impact with us each week.

That definitely rings true.

It may have been entirely a coincidence or he was keen to beat the traffic but I noticed McPake pretty much up and left as soon as Shields was subbed off.

Edited by capt_oats