Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It will also give us visibilty of who is coming through etc, that we used to get.

When Campbell, Turnbull, Scott etc made the first team it wasn't any great shock to people as you would hear how they were doing in the reserves - but I couldn't have told you anything about Kian Speirs and had Lennon Miller not scored that goal against England and had a footballer for a dad, I probably wouldn't have known anything about him before he came in either.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Huge fan of Celtic fans in the club's and Burrows's twitter mentions demanding that home fans be moved to accommodate more away supporters to "improve the spectacle". Got to love that entitlement.

It must come as a terrible surprise that we took the decision (and budget accordingly) to very much not do that because it turns out  that pissing off your own core support (or forcing them into shared areas with the worst travelling supports in the country) is an absolutely shite business decision. It might come as an even bigger shock that we did this and continue to turn a profit.

Edited by Swello

Snodgrass set to sign for hearts.

Given how desperate Hearts for players, and good ones at that, they will be offering FAR more than we ever could, plus the lure of European football, no brainer for him really.

Edited by Neil86

3 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Snodgrass set to sign for hearts.

Given how desperate Hearts for players, and good ones at that, they will be offering FAR more than we ever could, plus the lure of European football, no brainer for him really.

Can't say I'm really that surprised/disappointed with that. We've been waiting ages for a response indicating he wasn't exactly blown away with the idea of coming which seems to go against Hammell's chat about only wanting players that want to be here which he's reiterated on several occasions.

Similarly, our midfield has looked good in the last few games which, combined with our clear emphasis on making better use of the academy players, has brought me to the conclusion that we don't need Snodgrass and can save the money in case business is needed in January and/or our lecky bills.

I think he would have been a decent signing, but it was clear when it got to "the ball is in his court" stage that he was not signing. I'm sure there have been other speculative offers over the years that just weren't leaked.

Who are the announce people going to ask us to announce now?

Update: we don't need him, Aarons just set up SOD with a rabona cross to score in a reserve game.

Thoughts on Max Johnston? Supposedly linked with a loan move to us.

Best position, strengths and weaknesses would be welcome.

Appreciate he's not featured much at all in the 1st team for the Well and hence reviews might be better coming from Doonhamers as he was there on loan last season.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

I think the reserve league is a fucking mess and seemed to brought back on some weird (totally misplaced) nostalgia about the old reserve league - but I think it becomes more important for us now that we have a manager that is going to play young players for longer term strategic reasons (one club stuff) not just as occasional token bench warmers.

If we use it as a defacto U-19's team - it could actually be of some benefit...

I dont know enough about whats happening with the reserve league to comment on how it has been set up.

However, I definitely think its beneficial for us to be able to get minutes for our fringe players so that they are able to make an impact when they get their opportunity. 

SOD, Bevis, Cornelius, Maguire, McKinstry, Aarons Shields and Moult will all have big parts to play in our season going forward.

4 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Appreciate he's not featured much at all in the 1st team for the Well and hence reviews might be better coming from Doonhamers as he was there on loan last season.

Very promising young right back.

Not sure how well he did at QoS, but on the few occasions he got game time for us he never looked out of place. 

From memory, appeared quite pacey. A lot of our support expected him to be back up to SOD this year, but then GA went out and signed Paul McGinn.

6 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Highly rated within the club but even more so by the twitter warriors, who will undoubtedly be fuming when he goes out on loan.

more seriously, he has looked steady enough in his limited game time, one of which was a 3-0 drubbing off st Johnstone in which we were missing 17 bodies if I recall, and one was also a friendly against thistle.

defensively sound, wasn't a huge threat going forward I don't think. Was also used further up the park last season by QOTS, who's supporters will probably be able to give you a much fairer assesment than we can.

5 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Very promising young right back.

Not sure how well he did at QoS, but on the few occasions he got game time for us he never looked out of place. 

From memory, appeared quite pacey. A lot of our support expected him to be back up to SOD this year, but then GA went out and signed Paul McGinn.

Sounds promising. We had Ross Graham from Dundee United a couple of years ago and was brilliant for us. I wonder if Max can play centre back. We have Shay Logan, pantomime villain I know, at RB currently. Pushing on a bit in years but generally capable enough for our level. Wouldn't think we'd take in Max for him to sit on the bench and only be cover.

16 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Sounds promising. We had Ross Graham from Dundee United a couple of years ago and was brilliant for us. I wonder if Max can play centre back. We have Shay Logan, pantomime villain I know, at RB currently. Pushing on a bit in years but generally capable enough for our level. Wouldn't think we'd take in Max for him to sit on the bench and only be cover.

I believe he can also play LB.