Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Thought that was very noticeable against Caley as well and goodness me does it make a difference.

Goss and Slattery popping passes off to one another with Tierney at the tip of that triangle, dropping Spittal and Efford deeper also benefits both of them in different ways; Spittal with more time to find his cross, and space for Penney (who looks keen) to get in beyond, and Efford has space to run into, rather than solely left to beat someone, and probably more time for McGinn to support.

There's immediately patterns of play and clear and obvious structures of what we're trying to do with the bodies we've got.

Football simply isn't as hard as we tried to make it; what's Goss good at? Passing, so let's give him the ball, what's Slattery good at? Kind of everything? Sound you go do that. What's Efford good at? Running and terroring fullbacks? Class, go do it. What's Tierney's skillset? Turning boys and SHROO BALLS, sound we'd best do that and not play you as a fucking winger then eh?

Alexander an absolute dingbat, in short.

Weirdly, I can actually see a spot for Morris in that set up far more than what we tried to get him to do as well. We've not seen it as much, but he does have a good delivery. If Spittal is out/suspended/struggling I wouldn't be surprised to see him drop in there.

Few things, I've always wondered how stats are collated, the table @capt_oats used suggest its an army of elves ferreting away to amass all of that but it's probably one guy with fast fingers due to resources.

As for Alexander, as we're seeing with his players, square pegging round hole-ing his style was particularly detrimental. Going back to 13 months ago during the League Cup qualifiers when @Onthefringes made a very good point. It was that players may tend to get unwarranted criticism when asked to do certain roles or adhere to a system that goes against everything they know about the game. It's now pretty clear so many were hobbed by him. Maybe that's why SOD fell out with him too, as the lynchpin between dressing room and manager he'd be expected to sign up to Alexanderball.

I genuinely wonder if he's watched any of the half dozen games since he left out of curiosity to see what Hammy is set up and doing with them. Like his ex getting a new fella so checking out his fb.

33 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Few things, I've always wondered how stats are collated, the table @capt_oats used suggest its an army of elves ferreting away to amass all of that but it's probably one guy with fast fingers due to resources.

They're the opta stats which are automated into a graphic through some tech wizardry, in short. Then latterly shared by that aforementioned one guy.

27 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

They're the opta stats which are automated into a graphic through some tech wizardry, in short. Then latterly shared by that aforementioned one guy.

It was more the passes, successful pass %, key passes stuff, every one of those has to be recorded and that can only be manual surely? It must be a nightmare if its tiki-taka triangles.

1 minute ago, Kapowzer said:

It was more the passes, successful pass %, key passes stuff, every one of those has to be recorded and that can only be manual surely? It must be a nightmare if its tiki-taka triangles.

They were previously done by someone in stadium, but I *think* they're now done by someone pressing buttons via a TV feed.

That said, you'd be genuinely amazed what stuff can be done via automation.

Certainly from an article from 2018;

“We have people who go to some games and automated functions help collect the rest. We cover a number of leagues around the world, but we can’t possibly cover everything

I remember reading a thing about Jock Wallace when he was at Celtic. When he’d go to watch the opposition he had a piece of paper divided it in half and used his pen to trace roughly where team he was there to see played. It would leave lots of scrubbed of blue but pockets of white. He exploited the gaps and doubled down on their go-to’s. Pretty simple stuff.

Now there would  be a metric on players pre game carbohydrate intake over adidas or Nike boots collated referenced against xG (which I still don’t fully grasp).

On 03/09/2022 at 11:10, capt_oats said:

I've mentioned this before but Morris seems to have played the majority of his career at left mid. Having said that @RandomGuy. posted a radar in here after Morris signed and it looked like Gary Bowyer (now managing Dundee) signed him for Salford and had him playing right wing last season for some reason.

Given we've got Spittal, McKinstry, Aarons you'd imagine they'd be first picks for the positions plus Shields and Efford as options out wide it definitely leaves Morris in that second group.

Tbh, that's probably no bad thing if he's allowed a bit of time to settle and just exist in the group without much expectation.

Aye WyScout had it as his main position in 21/22.

Spoiler

morris.thumb.png.32c32984ab202748714e6064d1c4c0ab.png

FWIW his style hasn't really changed from when he played (well) on the left.

oldmorris.thumb.png.4de97b66d4bd0061ceaec2209b503c0b.png

Never really been a "runner" nor particularly creative.

Maybe one whos lost the legs to get in about the box and get chances, which was what elevated him above average/below average.

8 minutes ago, ropy said:

I had Jamie Dolan vibes with our goal keeper yesterday 

Genuinely curious what the script was there.

I know the black GK kit that's been worn most games would have clashed with United's but Kelly was wearing a hi-vis version on the opening day against St Mirren and last week against Killie that wouldn't have clashed with anyone but instead we made a dash to the club shop to get a training shirt printed up?

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Genuinely curious what the script was there.

I know the black GK kit that's been worn most games would have clashed with United's but Kelly was wearing a hi-vis version on the opening day against St Mirren and last week against Killie that wouldn't have clashed with anyone but instead we made a dash to the club shop to get a training shirt printed up?

I’ve mentioned before but the keeper wearing claret and or amber makes him look smaller, the high viz or the midweek white version make him look more imposing.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I’ve mentioned before but the keeper wearing claret and or amber makes him look smaller, the high viz or the midweek white version make him look more imposing.

Couldn't wear white as he'd clash with our outfield players.  But the decision was made Friday as in the Moult "I'm Home" video you see it set up there.  

3 minutes ago, Dosser2014 said:

Goss has to be in the mix, as he's one of the most improved players under Hammell. He's thrived on being given more freedom rather than being tactically shackled.

It's not just that he's improved/freed - it's that he's been running the show and has been our best player post-Sligo.

At least there is competition - last season, we usually struggled for 4 credible candidates most months.