Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

25 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

TBF with Efford, we have seen a marked improvement from him since Hammell has been in, decision making is poor but that can be coached, he was much better on Wednesday again, albeit against lesser opposition. His pace will cause problems, time will tell if the end product will work it's way into his game but I wouldn't totally write him off yet.

Aye, with Efford I've never got the impression he was intended as anything other than a placeholder in the squad with a view to addressing the outstanding issues in the summer - which came to an abrupt halt with Sligo.

I mean, GA's comment when Watt left was that we didn't need to "directly" replace him. I assume the recruitment department works on the instruction of the manager.

In terms of recruitment what absolutely stands out this summer is that virtually all our signings have been "known quantities" Spittall and McGinn are well known in this league while Morris for all his faults had played under Alexander in two separate spells. Hammell's massively doubled down on that to the extent that should Moult be #announced 3 of his 4 signings will be former players, which isn't a criticism but it feels telling that there have been no Johansen, Ojala, Efford type signings from continental leagues.

Bar Snodgrass there have been next to no substantive leaks about players we've been looking at so in that respect we don't know who the recruitment team have been putting forward as options to either manager.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

How are we going to use Moult? (IF)  Will he sit on the bench and get the last 20 minutes, will he play alongside KVV, will we wrap him in cotton wool till suspension and injury catch up with the big Dutchman?

I am sure the manager will know what to do, bugger all to do with us. I am also 100% positive that we will not sign anyone who is not fit enough to pass a medical. If there are any issues with his legs then I am sure someone with much better medical knowledge will let the club know.

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

How are we going to use Moult? (IF)  Will he sit on the bench and get the last 20 minutes, will he play alongside KVV, will we wrap him in cotton wool till suspension and injury catch up with the big Dutchman?

Does Moult just play the Celtic/Rangers games? 

As long as the sellotape, that holds the plastic cutlery he uses as knees these days, holds together, He'll be back up to KVV.

Edited by Busta Nut

I was dead set against it.

If we signed a player who had played the equivalent of less than 23 games in the past 5 years who hadn't previously played for us, the reaction wouldn't be as jovial as what it appears to be.

However, it was probably when Hearts and Hibs were getting linked (as much as it wasn't likely to happen), I began to get jealous and was thinking - as much as I don't want particularly wan't him to sign for us, I definitely don't want to see him play for anyone else.

Also, in that < 23 games equivalent (over 19 starts and 36s) he has scored 9 times, so I guess if you get him on the park, there's a reasonable chance of a goal still.

For me, if we are happy that he plays back up to KVV and comes on for the odd twenty minutes when we may need a goal, then it might just about work out. However, if Van Veen goes a spell without a goal and there's a clamour for his inclusion and people expect to see the work rate of the version with working knees, that's when people will probably be disappointed.

I absolutely love the guy and as much as it's a signing I wouldn't perhaps have wanted, I'll definitely be singing Spandau Ballet after a few beers tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

The reschedule is because Louis will have been at 3 boys clubs games, put in a shift at a foodbank and visited a sick 'Well supporter in hospital by lunchtime.

And the drive up from the West Midlands equates to a 1300 press conference to save him setting off with less sleep than Tommo if it was at 9.

Does a blinged out Land Rover discovery count as heavy machinery?

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

SOUND THE INCOMING TWEET ALERT KLAXON

Oh.

"Motherwell v Rangers has been moved back a day to 16 October."

I assume Premier cant then schedule the League Cup game for Tuesday 18th

7 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

The suspense is killing me.

It's getting a bit much, I've got the feeling there's nothing to announce :(

The silence has become so deafening it's set my tinnitus off something rotten

I suppose the only good thing is (if that is indeed the case) that no-one else got him either, and we can all fall back on the "he had chocolate knees anyway" "would only have warmed the physio's bench" and "don't tarnish the legacy" comments that all had validity a couple of weeks ago

Edited by RostokMcSpoons