Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Ok, that's good news - thanks for the explanation :)

I mean, it's not a straw I'd clutch at but as a general point it just needs to have been processed in time we don't need to have announced it by the time the window SLAMMED shut.

To your actual question though, the deadline for loans is the same as transfers aye.

If we missed out on targets yesterday then we're on to free agents if we're looking to bring anyone in.

Bring him home etc...

IMG_2571.JPG.076b66bfda76dc6bca4a7e88ac5ea9c9.JPG

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So that was a weird window eh?

As it stands the squad looks like this:

GK: Kelly, Oxborough, Connelly
DF: O'Donnell, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinn, Penney (Loan), Johnston
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Cornelius, Tierney, Goss
FW: Van Veen, Efford, McKinstry (Loan), Aarons (Loan), Morris, Mahon, Shields

Total available = 23

Injured: Carroll, McGinley
Loaned out: Fox (Queen of The South), Devine (Alloa)

In: Spittal, McGinn, Morris, Oxborough, McKinstry (loan), Penney (loan) Aarons (loan) = 7
Out: Amaluzor (Aldershot), Donnelly (Kilmarnock), Grimshaw, O'Hara (St Mirren), McLeod (Peterhead), Morrison (Falkirk), Nirennold, O'Connor (Morton), Roberts (Stevenage), Shaw (Celtic), Rice (Rangers) Woolery (Sakaryaspor), Ojala = 13

Manager In: Steven Hammell (Caretaker - 29/07, Permanent 11/08)
Manager Out: Graham Alexander (29/07)

There's obviously still a Moult question and I guess that offer is still on the table to Snodgrass and I imagine there's another couple will go out on loan.

Certainly backs up the lower budget for this season chat. I guess the likes of Lennon Miller and Kian Speirs can be seen as part of the senior squad since they have played 1st team football and made match day squads.

Certainly would have liked a striker and CB for cover. Something may happen today I guess or with freebies. Would be a bit of a let down if no one else joins up. 

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Certainly backs up the lower budget for this season chat. I guess the likes of Lennon Miller and Kian Speirs can be seen as part of the senior squad since they have played 1st team football and made match day squads.

Certainly would have liked a striker and CB for cover. Something may happen today I guess or with freebies. Would be a bit of a let down if no one else joins up. 

Dunno like, without knowing how much we're chipping in for McKinstry, Penney and Aarons or how much we put on the table for Snodgrass then it's difficult to say.

My main takeaway from this window has been that there's loads of folk in our support get furious at us running with a large squad and a large number (often the same people) who get bent out of shape about us trimming that down with "WhY hAvEnT wE sIGnEd aNYoNe?!?!?!?!" shouts.

Hammell seemed to be clear in saying that he wasn't prepared to chuck money around and just sign players for the sake of it - which is something that a lot of people seem to be on board with until they're complaining we're not on some mad trolley dash.

Fwiw, I'd have liked a striker and Ojala leaving along with Devine being loaned out seemed to be clearing a space for another centre back and tbf, the chat from Hammell on Wednesday night was that he expected us to be "active" on deadline day so who knows? Maybe deals fell over and we opted not to pursue other options.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Per @Busta Nut above:

I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up another body or so on a free when the dust has settled too.

Would I have liked more this window? Always, when do you not...but the fear we'd be detached by November is gone and as such holding our nerve, and with it the budget, rather than panic spending is definitely the way to go.

11 minutes ago, ropy said:

If Aarons had signed at 11pm last night rather than Tuesday everybody would be happy with their deadline day fix.

Nope.

But I am clinging to the fact that Flow has not been seen this morning explaining that we missed out on targets. Which to be fair he would be more than likely to do if we did not have something to shout about later today 🤞😎.

Edited by welldaft

33 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up another body or so on a free when the dust has settled too.

Would I have liked more this window? Always, when do you not...but the fear we'd be detached by November is gone and as such holding our nerve, and with it the budget, rather than panic spending is definitely the way to go.

Yip, still early days of course, but we’re in a much better place mentally and physically already post Alexander. That’s reduced the need to panic buy in the transfer window.

I guess to kick on it would be helpful to bring in some quality additions but given the state Grezza left us in to even be talking about ways to ‘kick on’ is a relief in itself.

In saying all that though #AnnounceMoult.

fairly confident the deal will be announced, otherwise Burrows would almost certainly have been on twitter, saying we tried but we just couldn't get it completed in time etc

plus we need to make the announcement video, so there's that.

Will certainly add to the feel good factor, how useful he will be is anyone's guess, I suppose if he can chip in with 5-7 goals over the season it would be a success, Considering Lamie was the only that got near Watt and Van Veen last season.

The weirdest thing about the start to the season is that we patently didn't have the squad suited to playing the sort of percentage "football" that GA favoured - so with him as manager, we actually did need a lot of movement in and out.

By accident or design, swapping out GA for Hammy when we did has meant that our squad was suddenly a lot more fit for purpose and suited to the type of football that we are going to attempt this season - changing the manager in effect made the transfer window easier.

So with that in mind, getting a serviceable left back, and some decent wide players makes this a pretty good window (and hopefully the gap up front will be filled with a tasty 12pm announcement on twitter)

14 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Will certainly add to the feel good factor, how useful he will be is anyone's guess, I suppose if he can chip in with 5-7 goals over the season it would be a success, Considering Lamie was the only that got near Watt and Van Veen last season.

I think this is it for me.

Like others I was worried last summer when we were linked that we’d chuck a 2/3 year deal at him and end up saddled with him in a Stevie May type scenario.  A loan deal till the end of the season seems a bit more sensible.

He might not be the Moult of old but we probably don’t need him to be? In reality we’re really just looking for someone to add some cover/competition for Van Veen. If he can stay relatively fit and chip in with 7 or 8 goals then happy days. If not, we send him packing next summer. 

12 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Like others I was worried last summer when we were linked that we’d chuck a 2/3 year deal at him and end up saddled with him in a Stevie May type scenario.  A loan deal till the end of the season seems a bit more sensible.

He might not be the Moult of old but we probably don’t need him to be? In reality we’re really just looking for someone to add some cover/competition for Van Veen. If he can stay relatively fit and chip in with 7 or 8 goals then happy days. If not, we send him packing next summer. 

That's the theory at least but I'm still far from convinced he'll even be ok from the bench or not injured for when KVV is injured/suspended/arrested for stealing mail bags. 

However, if it is the case that we're getting him for peanuts on a low-risk deal...fair enough. But I'd say with two windows now gone to replace Watt/find a back-up to KVV, the scouting dept offering up Efford and an injury-prone former player should have FP raising their eyebrows when others - caveats apply etc etc - in the division have clearly managed to find strikers they think are suitable.

25 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

This is largely where I am as well.

Like, going by Twitter, I think there are going to be a lot of very disappointed Moult stans out there. After his injuries and general lack of game time it's unreasonable to expect him to be the same player but it feels that for some that expectation will be there.

Ultimately the way I'm framing it (should he sign) is in relation to our peers:

St Johnstone paid a fee and chucked a 3 year deal at Nicky Clark.

Killie have taken Doidge on loan who is quite possibly as broken as Moult. They were also linked with Sam Cosgrove who ended up at Plymouth.

That's some slim pickings right there.

Assuming he manages to stay halfway fit then in comparison this version of Moult probably ticks as many boxes as we could realistically ask for given the circumstances (most notably that our current #9 has 7 goals in 8 games so far this season).

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That's the theory at least but I'm still far from convinced he'll even be ok from the bench or not injured for when KVV is injured/suspended/arrested for stealing mail bags. 

However, if it is the case that we're getting him for peanuts on a low-risk deal...fair enough. But I'd say with two windows now gone to replace Watt/find a back-up to KVV, the scouting dept offering up Efford and an injury-prone former player should have FP raising their eyebrows when others - caveats apply etc etc - in the division have clearly managed to find strikers they think are suitable.

TBF with Efford, we have seen a marked improvement from him since Hammell has been in, decision making is poor but that can be coached, he was much better on Wednesday again, albeit against lesser opposition. His pace will cause problems, time will tell if the end product will work it's way into his game but I wouldn't totally write him off yet.

How are we going to use Moult? (IF)  Will he sit on the bench and get the last 20 minutes, will he play alongside KVV, will we wrap him in cotton wool till suspension and injury catch up with the big Dutchman?

Does Moult just play the Celtic/Rangers games? 

Edited by ropy