Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I don't think we were that bad today. First 30 minutes we were the better team playing decent football then went back to long ball and the midfield fell away.

The second half the decision making was wrong and we lost 2 poor goals. 

We can see what Hammell is trying to do. If we can get a winger in with speed in. Shields works hard but he barely has an end product. That chance today in the second half I felt he was never going to do anything.

It would be good if we could move a centre half on. I doubt it will happen.  We are really missing an Aldred type at the back. Would like to see Penney on Wednesday.  

Any news on Stuart McKinstry? Not in the squad today

2 minutes ago, Cossie MFC said:

I don't think we were that bad today. First 30 minutes we were the better team playing decent football then went back to long ball and the midfield fell away.

The second half the decision making was wrong and we lost 2 poor goals. 

We can see what Hammell is trying to do. If we can get a winger in with speed in. Shields works hard but he barely has an end product. That chance today in the second half I felt he was never going to do anything.

It would be good if we could move a centre half on. I doubt it will happen.  We are really missing an Aldred type at the back. Would like to see Penney on Wednesday.  

Any news on Stuart McKinstry? Not in the squad today

Although he was probably just injured or carrying a knock today, I wouldn't be surprised if we let Ojala go.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

It’s getting tiresome these wee idiots. 
In the past there was an element of self policing but as more of the older lot have moved on this now seems lacking. 

Aye. Some nasty c***s in that group now.

7 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Would appreciate less of the Deimantas Petravičius vibes, and more of this from Josh Morris.

josssshmorrisssssssssssss.PNG

Not to white knight Morris but he scored a ton of goals for Alexander so there is, or perhaps more appropriately was, a player there. I mentioned this when he signed but going by Transfermarkt he was on 45 goals and 45 assists in 207 games playing from left midfield.

17168750_ScreenShot2022-07-11at20_41_03.thumb.png.c92fdb319cac8508e18eca13722d5f2d.png

Spoiler

It's a bit of a shite situation for him as he played for Alexander at Fleetwood and Scunthorpe and he pretty much said GA was largely the selling point in him coming to us in that Sky interview - only for the guy who signed him to be emptied within a fortnight of him arriving.

It may be he's finding it tough to adjust to a different league or he's simply not a good fit for what we're trying to do - possibly both tbf. Either way the fact that Hammell's immediately went out and signed McKinstry and is apparently in the market for another wide player pushes Morris down the pecking order - just as his post-match comment about needing to add attacking options doesn't exactly bode well for Efford and Shields IMO.

With the latter two if there's one thing that can't be levelled against either Alexander or Hammell it's that they didn't give them a chance. They've had more than enough opportunities and while there's maybe an argument they could be decent enough squad options - no one's going to suggest we don't get graft from Shields for example - as starting XI players? Maybe not.

Edited by capt_oats

9 hours ago, 21maxwell said:

Although he was probably just injured or carrying a knock today, I wouldn't be surprised if we let Ojala go.

Aye, Ojala was in the training photos pre-Livi but wasn't in the squad and obviously wasn't there yesterday either.

The fact that he hasn't kicked a baw for us this season at all probably marks him out as the most likely if we're looking at one of the centre backs moving on (assuming he's not injured - which I guess there's every chance he might be).

I mean, everyone and their dug was bricking it about what Nouble was going to do to our defence last week and between them Sol and Lamie handled him pretty well. The flip of that is we've now had Hammell come out and level the same criticisms of our defending almost verbatim after the St Johnstone game and yesterday.

It's hard not to feel that having an experienced and dominant type playing alongside one of Sol, Lamie or Mugabi wouldn't go some way to addressing the consistency issues at the centre of the defence tbh.

Hammell needs to be ruthless and get a few out the door. Morris is going to get ironic cheers when subbed off the way he is going. I can only remember that happening to Gow and Jake fucking Taylor who we’re both equally anonymous shite with no heart.

This is what I’d like before the deadline.
- a centre back to partner Lamie
- a central midfielder that’s better than Goss/Dean
- 1 or 2 proper wide players and none of the anywhere across the front 3 pish
- a striker to compete with KVV for a start

It’s a big week for the club with the cup game on Wednesday too.

4 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

My thoughts exactly. Too inconsistent and yesterday was the epitome of that. Took his goal well, held the ball up well for most the game but his decision making particularly in the second half was honkin. Also, and I absolutely hate to suggests this about any player, but I thought he looked like he couldn't be arsed for spells. On quite few occasions the ball was there to be won and he didn't move. 

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Hammell needs to be ruthless and get a few out the door. Morris is going to get ironic cheers when subbed off the way he is going. I can only remember that happening to Gow and Jake fucking Taylor who we’re both equally anonymous shite with no heart.

This is what I’d like before the deadline.
- a centre back to partner Lamie
- a central midfielder that’s better than Goss/Dean
- 1 or 2 proper wide players and none of the anywhere across the front 3 pish

It’s a big week for the club with the cup game on Wednesday too.

Mckinstry is one of the new wide players surely, we're not going to get another two there.

But that minor tweak apart agree 100%.

After St Johnstone we'd all have been thrilled with six points out of nine, progress in the cup and boosting the squad. Halfway there...

18 minutes ago, CoF said:

My thoughts exactly. Too inconsistent and yesterday was the epitome of that. Took his goal well, held the ball up well for most the game but his decision making particularly in the second half was honkin. Also, and I absolutely hate to suggests this about any player, but I thought he looked like he couldn't be arsed for spells. On quite few occasions the ball was there to be won and he didn't move. 

I mean, we've scored 7 goals in 5 games and Kev's scored 4 of them (2 pens).

It seems clear we're after another striker but ultimately we need someone to come in who's going to be capable of contributing at the same level as KVV since as it stands we're leaning pretty fucking heavily on his goals.

Who that is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, we've scored 7 goals in 5 games and Kev's scored 4 of them (2 pens).
It seems clear we're after another striker but ultimately we need someone to come in who's going to be capable of contributing at the same level as KVV since as it stands we're leaning pretty fucking heavily on his goals.
Who that is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If KVV gets injured then who is going to score for us? That’s my worry.

Mckinstry is one of the new wide players surely, we're not going to get another two there.
But that minor tweak apart agree 100%.
After St Johnstone we'd all have been thrilled with six points out of nine, progress in the cup and boosting the squad. Halfway there...

I’d sort of forgot about Mckinstry. What was the script with him not being in the squad yesterday?Hopefully he’s decent.

Twitter is all about Moult. Any of the ITK’s gonna share anything?

I feel confident to say Snoddy move is dead. If nothing else there’s a lack of respect not keeping Hammy in the loop as to his intentions. 

I’d hope he’d also consider the option of moving McGinn inside to a back three and switching SOD back across with Penny at LB if we’re protecting a lead. SOD was roasted yesterday on his unfamiliar side. Was assumed by many that was Alexander was looking to do before the level of his fallout with SOD came out.

I thought Chrisene looked tasty at times.

Van Veen has his flaws obviously but we’d fucked if anything happens to him and we’re relying on the others. Even yesterday he wasn’t particularly great but he still scored our only goal and created our best other chance for Tierney. 

We were poor 2nd half (compared to the first half hour) but Efford’s failed cut back at 1-0 and Tierney’s miss at 1-1 were two huge moments in the game where a real lack of quality/composure in the final third cost us. We take either chance and we probably leave with 3 points. Fine margins and all that. 

Shields has good physical attributes and tries hard but just isn’t good enough technically or tactically to be a starter at this level. Ditto Efford. Morris has shown next to nothing so far. Tierney meanwhile shows flashes of promise but has been here nearly 9 months now and looks no closer to nailing down a place in the team.  

It’s clear Hammell isn’t happy with his options in the final third and it’s something he’s looking to address despite having already brought in McKinstry. Whether or not he can find the required quality this late in the window,  we’ll have to wait and see.  

6 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

If KVV gets injured then who is going to score for us? That’s my worry.

Lennon Miller...From the halfway line.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

But aye...that's been my takeaway from Hammell's comments about needing more attackers.

Neither Efford or Shields have shown themselves to be anything like consistent goalscorers at this level.

Edited by capt_oats

I feel sorry for Morris tbf. He’s immediately been brandished as shite, which may well be true but he’s being judged on an incredibly small sample size. Give him a few games before jumping on his back fs, we’re hardly going to get a tune from him if he’s getting heckled after a half dozen games (two of which were against Sligo, which should be discounted on the basis that everyone was murder in those games).