Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 30/07/2022 at 17:40, Kapowzer said:

Snodgrass, player manager, Alex McLeish style, banter up the dressing room. Make it so Flao. It'll be Tuesday though.

Gypsy premonitions from 3 weeks ago, not as the gaffer though so you all owe me 15 pieces of silver rather than 30.

Assumed he was priced out as he had 11 games season at Luton from late February averaging 47'. His Mrs is Scottish but I would have thought at 34 he could get one season more down south on more money than he could realise up here. Suppose a lot of it will be motivated by where he wants to end up and do next. 

Edited by Kapowzer

Impressive foresight right enough @Kapowzer.

As for Snodgrass, not for me or at least not unless we have him on trial first - he'd be taking the place of someone we can develop and will his contribution justify that aged 34 and having hardly played in the past two seasons? Not convinced.

Certainly a very good player at his peak though and Hammell will know him from his brief return to the Scotland squad in 2013.

As a minor aside you'd normally assume Livingston would be the natural retirement home in this case but if you wonder if ageing pros look at that pitch, rub their knees then think nah...

Well we do have an opening for a Academy Director and Youth Team/Reserves management. Of course Kerr could drop back down to one of those roles but I suspect Hammell is happy with his involvement to date.

Snoddy as a number 2? Doubt it right away as usually you need to have a relationship in place already. Only thing I thing I know is he's great craic and would lift any dressing room massively.

1 season to play, then 1 to limit his involvement on the pitch to transition into the backroom ... distinct possibility.

An experienced player like Snodgrass who has Premiership quality could be a very useful addition to this squad. Not for a minute comparing him to Cooper, but its the kind of signing that can have impact beyond his current ability. It can raise standards and provide a leadership in the dressing room that we appear to have been missing.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

Here's Greg Marshall's profile of McKinstry.

As for Snodgrass, the fact that no one's put their name to the story means I'm entirely with the sceptical crowd.

That said, Hammell's implied that we need known quantities and Snodgrass is certainly that. He also plays in areas that we need improving.

I mean, I'm all for it in principle - it's just difficult to see it as anything other than an agent flying a kite at the moment.

Edited by capt_oats

If Snodgrass is looking to make as much money as he can from his last year or two in the game, he's not signing for Motherwell.

If he wants to come back up the road, close to home, playing regular football and perhaps have a pathway to do his badges/start a coaching career, we might have a shout.  

I can certainly believe Hammell, or someone within the club, might have reached out and asked him if he fancied it.  Whether that leads to something, I'm a bit doubtful.  Maybe he pissed himself laughing at the thought of playing for £1500 a week.

Don't want to go all Si Ferry here, but he'd be a great addition to the dressing room.

I'm nowhere near itk, but I did hear a rumour at the start of the week that Snodgrass' name had been heard mentioned around the corridors of the club. Definitely think there's something in it, whether that's been a tentative enquiry or something more concrete, I don't know.

Despite his lack of game time recently, I'd be very much in the yes camp. Good pro, good character and, for our level, more than a bit of a pler.

33 minutes ago, Desp said:

I can certainly believe Hammell, or someone within the club, might have reached out and asked him if he fancied it.  Whether that leads to something, I'm a bit doubtful.  Maybe he pissed himself laughing at the thought of playing for £1500 a week.

Perhaps it's just because I've never been a millionaire superstar footballer but the notion of getting to that stage of your career and making your decision based on money just seem preposterous to me. Of course he might have pissed it all away and needs to urgently cram what he can get in the last couple of years into but otherwise, what's the point? Snodgrass will probably have pocketed about 10 million quid netto from his time in England. End your career somewhere you're happy playing, or where your family want to be, or that offers you a path into coaching if that's what you want, or decide based on a dozen other reasons. But seeing out your career on the basis of even tens of thousands more per year, when you're already more than set for life, just seems rather sad.

Because of players like Russell, Cooper & Coyne were kicking about in the earlier years of me going to the football, I'm still an absolute sucker for top level players having a last day in the sun at a club like ours, so I'd be a massive yes to Snodgrass (and no amount of Brian McLairs or Ross McCormacks will change me).

55 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Similar feel to this as there was to the Steve Davis story a few weeks back. 

Aye, my feeling is similar to @Desp's post above - like the Davis story I can absolutely see a scenario where we've maybe sounded him out and asked a question. Whether or not it's anything more than that who knows?

I didn't hear precisely what he said but I suppose the fact that Hammell apparently suggested that he'd hoped to have a couple of players signed when he was talking pre-match on Sportsound means there's a chance Snodgrass is/was one of those players.

Fwiw, Snodgrass played 1096 minutes for WBA/Luton last season (actually fewer as 116 of the minutes listed below were in the u23 league). To put that in context it's less than Ojala managed for us.

I've no idea if that was down to injury or whatever but it's a fair assumption to make that he'd get significantly more game time with us than he (probably) would at another club at Championship level.

1932652927_ScreenShot2022-08-18at10_04_23.thumb.png.9c02a9e78a7a52c8e2dd27abe01e1fb4.png

Edited by capt_oats

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw, Snodgrass played 1096 minutes for Luton last season (actually fewer as 116 of the minutes listed below were in the Reserves). To put that in context it's fewer than Ojala managed for us.

I've no idea if that was down to injury or whatever but it's a fair assumption to make that he'd get significantly more game time with us than he (probably) would at another club at Championship level.

1932652927_ScreenShot2022-08-18at10_04_23.thumb.png.9c02a9e78a7a52c8e2dd27abe01e1fb4.png

Snodgrass was only at Luton for half the season - signed Jan/Feb. So he had a decent amount of playing time factoring that in

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye, my feeling is similar to @Desp's post above - like the Davis story I can absolutely see a scenario where we've maybe sounded him out and asked a question. Whether or not it's anything more than that who knows?

I didn't hear precisely what he said but I suppose the fact that Hammell apparently suggested that he'd hoped to have a couple of players signed when he was talking pre-match on Sportsound means there's a chance Snodgrass is/was one of those players.

Fwiw, Snodgrass played 1096 minutes for Luton last season (actually fewer as 116 of the minutes listed below were in the u23 league). To put that in context it's less than Ojala managed for us.

fwiw, he did only sign for them on the 25th Feb, so 14 appearances is actually not bad.

I would be right into him coming on board, lots of experience, and the #content would be second to none.

2 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I would be right into him coming on board, lots of experience, and the #content would be second to none.

Given the undoubted power of the media team and the absolute insistence on following the five-year plan for the #content calendar to the letter, signing players based on their social media contribution seems an alarmingly plausible next step!

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

fwiw, he did only sign for them on the 25th Feb, so 14 appearances is actually not bad.

Ah, sorry. I stand corrected.

I assumed he'd been at Luton all last season but looking at the page the minutes he played (or didn't) in the first half of the season were with West Brom - Edited my post to reflect that.

That table I posted is cumulative minutes played all season.

Here's his first half of the season with WBA - which I suppose supports the argument that he might find game time limited at another Championship club.

54478629_ScreenShot2022-08-18at10_59_44.thumb.png.88564ec6e0e1dd1152597bdef4f00cca.png

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I'm all for it in principle - it's just difficult to see it as anything other than an agent flying a kite at the moment.

100% kite flying. I do think he’s been spoken to, I think we’d be a consideration if there’s a beyond playing role.

But his character and level he’s played at I’d say it’s an almost given he would be a good value pundit maybe TV is where he’s destined.

We also seem to have been used a few times this season by agents to shore up or radar ping a manager/player.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Don't want to go all Si Ferry here, but he'd be a great addition to the dressing room.

As long as you don’t enable a roaster, gone baggy trackie bottoms, nae socks and massive gutties.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'd be bang up for Snodgrass, as he'd comfortably replace the "goes down like a shite deckchair" shithousery we've been missing since Watt left.

Slattery: “….. Ahem!”