Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I can't be the only one that is not a massive fan of our youth products being scalped by a club with ridiculous money only for them to send him back to develop where he probably should've stayed in the first place, can I?

Aye but he's an attacking option that isn't Joe Efford so I've made my peace with it. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I can't be the only one that is not a massive fan of our youth products being scalped by a club with ridiculous money only for them to send him back to develop where he probably should've stayed in the first place, can I?

Not that I disagree with that, but to play devil's advocate a bit, surely it's a pretty sweet deal for us. We get £££ in compensation, we get a player back ready for first team football who has been in and around a premier league first team, which can only make him a more rounded player. We are now giving him a platform, for the season, to show Leeds what he is all about, to push for the first team and no doubt start to trigger some of the additional clauses we have in the initial deal, meaning more £££.

Would love to keep hold off these youngsters but bigger clubs than us lose their top talents on a yearly basis.

worded that terribly, but I think it makes sense.

Edited by Neil86

27 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I don't love it but would you rather we didn't take him and Leeds sent him to Hibs, St Mirren or wherever instead?

Big clubs hovering up youngsters on an industrial scale is yet another shite thing about football I've made my peace with, relative to Motherwell, tbh. 

50 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I mean, he had a choice of working with Stephen Robinson or Marcelo Bielsa...

In McKinstry's case he has actually developed at Leeds. He's still only 19 he's been a regular for their u23s pretty much since he arrived at the club 3 years ago when he was 16 and Bielsa gave him his first team debut last season as well as being fairly regularly included in match day squads.

@thisGRAEME posted it up on Twitter earlier but if you've got a spare 15 minutes it's well worth having a listen to this podcast with Phil Hay and Stephen McManus giving some detail of McKinstry, what he's about and how the Leeds move happened.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

I think Scott Allan would be a great addition. Leigh Griffith and Louis less so.

8 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Listen, don't get me wrong, when Scott Allan is doing what he's best at, he's as good as just about anyone in the division. His ability with the ball is without doubt.

He can't and he won't though, IMO. He played the equivalent of about 5 games last season and even less the season before. 

I do hope he finds a club, but I think his time as a top flight player is over. Head to Dundee and be an absolute baller at a slower pace.

7 hours ago, dezz said:

Are Hibs still trying to punt Christian Doidge?

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I think he's broken, like. Any time I've looked at him this season he's looked absolutely miles off the pace, which is a shame because I thought he was magic.

I won't be as nice as Graeme, Both these guys are just about finished. Should be nowhere near them

Edited by Busta Nut

I see Scott Burns has posted in the Express. It's just a copy/paste of the news story re: McKinstry but there's a wee bit tagged on at the end.

McKinstry has been a regular in the Leeds’ under-23 side and already has had English Premier League experience with the Yorkshire giants. Hammell still hopes to add to his squad with another frontline option the priority.

20 minutes ago, Dosser0209 said:

Daily Record is linking us with Robert Snodgrass, would be a cracking signing just as long as his legs haven’t went 

These things never stay secret for too long ! Assuming this is at all true. 

Not sure what to make of it tbh. Another midfielder / winger to add to young Stu. He is not an out and out forward I thought we would be looking for to provide competition for Kev. Could turn out to be another Tony Watt or another Ross McCormack..

on the face of it an exciting signing. Just wish it was announced as a done deal. Now I fully Hibs, Aberdeen or DDee United to gatecrash the party……

Read the DR article on Snodgrass. Would absolutely take him but it comes across as an agent job, fishing for a few more offers.

Would be delighted to see him rock up Fir Park way but place me in the sceptical category atm.  

Edited by Londonwell

I heard some Snodgrass rumours before the Sligo game. Nothing about him coming to the Well just that he was looking to come back up to Scotland and wouldn't be asking for a fortune in wages. Because whatever a non-OF team can put in his pocket is nothing to the money he has banked over the years. He was just looking for some regular football.

He hasn't really played for a couple of seasons though. 22 league appearances over the last 2 years.

I could see Snodgrass having the uncredited story planted to remind everyone he is available.