Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

What sort of player is McKinstry, an out and out winger? Or a ‘wide attacker’ type? 
I also wouldn’t be against a return of Jimmy Scott, wasn’t up to much at Hibs last year but they were a basket case so perhaps not all down to him and could fill in a couple of positions for us. 

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Extremely invested in this actually happening.

Next on the list?

IMG_7440.jpg

I would be delighted with both tbh. I mentioned a few days back about Scott returning. Think it would be a good move as he would provide good cover for KVV but also can come in off the wing similar to Watt.

2 minutes ago, dezz said:

What sort of player is McKinstry, an out and out winger? Or a ‘wide attacker’ type? 
I also wouldn’t be against a return of Jimmy Scott, wasn’t up to much at Hibs last year but they were a basket case so perhaps not all down to him and could fill in a couple of positions for us. 

I only ever saw him a couple of times with the u20s/Reserves and he was obviously way younger at that point but he's closer to being an actual wide player than an 'anywhere across the front 3' type.

Posted this the other day but here are some clips of him playing with Leeds u23s - it's less about what he's actually doing and more about where he is on the park. @Self-raising Lazarus touches on it above but if our go to is going to be this 4141/433 then Spittal is probably the only player we've got who's a natural fit in that wide role - the likes of Efford and to a lesser degree Shields are a bit more clunky (IMO).

I was pretty unhappy not to see McKinstry stay on and make a 1st team appearance. And you are not sure at the time whether the reported £400k was good value or not. 

The fact it is being reported that Leeds want him to sign an extension is a positive sign, but I wonder whose place he would take in the team. Connor Shields perhaps ? Who seemed to have a good game at the weekend. If that happens you wonder whether Connor would be happy to be out the team for (potentially) a full season. Might see him move on ? 

I still want to see a LB and starting CB as priorities but this opportunity has arisen and seems a no brainier as he is a Well fan. Puts him in the shop window also. Appears to be a done deal. 

3 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I was pretty unhappy not to see McKinstry stay on and make a 1st team appearance. And you are not sure at the time whether the reported £400k was good value or not. 

The fact it is being reported that Leeds want him to sign an extension is a positive sign, but I wonder whose place he would take in the team. Connor Shields perhaps ? Who seemed to have a good game at the weekend. If that happens you wonder whether Connor would be happy to be out the team for (potentially) a full season. Might see him move on ? 

I still want to see a LB and starting CB as priorities but this opportunity has arisen and seems a no brainier as he is a Well fan. Puts him in the shop window also. Appears to be a done deal. 

Was it McKinstry that was on the bench the day we lost 3 centre halfs in 10 minutes?

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

Was it McKinstry that was on the bench the day we lost 3 centre halfs in 10 minutes?

Yeah it was. It was shortly before he signed with Leeds. He was only 16 at the time, maybe it was a really weak attempt to try and get him to stay. Obviously having to use all 3 subs right away killed any chance of him getting on.

20 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Yeah it was. It was shortly before he signed with Leeds. He was only 16 at the time, maybe it was a really weak attempt to try and get him to stay. Obviously having to use all 3 subs right away killed any chance of him getting on.

The remaining subs still did their half time kick around to keep the crowd entertained.

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Posted this the other day but here are some clips of him playing with Leeds u23s - it's less about what he's actually doing and more about where he is on the park. @Self-raising Lazarus touches on it above but if our go to is going to be this 4141/433 then Spittal is probably the only player we've got who's a natural fit in that wide role - the likes of Efford and to a lesser degree Shields are a bit more clunky (IMO).

I always have low expectations of folk coming from U23 sides but on the face of it I agree he's a good fit.

McKinstry and Spittal either side of KVV could work with Shields, Efford and Mahon covering. Though - without knowing much about McKinstry - there's a concern about a lack of pace.

There's also the fact that any time you change manager, there's a transition where certain parts of the squad are heavy - if 99% of the fan base want to upgrade on Efford, say, and Hammell agrees, I don't think anyone in that 99% would object to carrying an extra forward on the books to get that upgrade  now rather than waiting till we can free him next summer.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I only ever saw him a couple of times with the u20s/Reserves and he was obviously way younger at that point but he's closer to being an actual wide player than an 'anywhere across the front 3' type.

You'll need to show me where he is on the park. I can't be the only one who watches these videos and hasn't a clue which player I'm supposed to be watching. 

Edited by CoF

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

I can see games where Shields would start, like Saturday and games where a different formation may be required. 

Either way, I can see Shields still getting significant game time, unless we sign another striker.

I think McKinstry is a good fit. We didn't really have a proper wide midfielder. So this gives a lot more flexibility.

I think Hammell is going to continue with more liberal use of subs and we will regularly see 15 players used for decent chunks of games. Steal Postucoglu's tactics of throwing on 3 subs with ~25 minutes to go.