Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I am eternally hopeful we don't try and stick Lamie in at left-back. If we don't get anyone in sharpish, I'd still much rather have SO'D there. 

I'd like to think everyone at the club will still remember the times we tried that little experiment under Robinson.

5 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The highlights also seemed to show that Spittal has somehow become an attacking threat. Johansen also looked like a bomb-scare to rival Mugabi - so who does Lamie replace?

Been swithering on that one for a bit...I think he'll drop SSJ but there's alarmingly little in it atm.

46 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

CLOSE CALL: A-LEAGUE COACH JUST MISSES OUT ON JUMP TO SCOTTISH PREMIERSHIP

Not that it matters much now but it looks like Nick Montgomery was the third one interviewed for the job. 

That's about as 'left field' as it gets, and interesting to see that we're using algorithms to identify potential candidates..

Motherwell turning into Skynet..

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 minute ago, Big John Handsome said:

Just catching up on the thread as I was away getting married on Saturday. What a day - I was even getting live updates during my speech to tell us we 'd went 3-2 up. Fully on board the Stevie train!

Congrats, some day you got for it 👍

9 hours ago, stu92 said:

Did my eyes deceive me, or did I see Efford beat a man with a stopover on Sportscene highlights?

On another note, how good is it to actually look forward to watching Sportscene  again, oh and also not having to listen to repetitive fantasy land post match interview with Alexander.

I know it's early days but by f**k I'd travel to watch this team win, lose or draw if they show the same effort and are organsied and trusted to show what they can actually do.

Totally bizarre that Alexander signed many of them only to play them out of position, piss them all off and force them to play hoofball shite.

54 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Totally bizarre that Alexander signed many of them only to play them out of position, piss them all off and force them to play hoofball shite.

I've not been down on the squad as much as others but this was pretty much my main takeaway from watching the full 90 of Saturday back.

Essentially it's clear that Alexanderball was a choice.

He had a group of players who are capable of putting in a footballing performance like we saw on Saturday after a fortnight with Hammell but he chose to play percentages instead. Which is fine, he kept us up and then he finished 5th and qualified for Europe playing that way.

It's been interesting reading the post-game reaction and the number of people who seemed to take the Sligo games as a bellwether for our season rather than a fucking cry for help.

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:
16 minutes ago, CoF said:
He also skinned a man not on the highlights. 

There's been talk of an offside Efford nodding in a goal-bound shot but that wasn't on the highlights.

He blocked it almost on the line rather than nodding it in himself...at least I think it was going in, would have been right at the post. From SSJ, I think, but in fairness he could hardly have got out the way.

A bit of KVV chat in the bold Sked's article in The Scotsman:

When Van Veen is in form he can wreak havoc. He gives the Steelmen an extra dimension.

As things stand, with little striker depth in the squad, he has plenty of responsibility at the top end. He was brought in by Graham Alexander but admits there is a “fresh wind” and “positive vibe” following the appointment of Steven Hammell.

“We are now on the ball instead of setting up more defensive and winning second balls,” Van Veen. “We now want to make the play.

“You will get caught up at times and there are risks but I like playing like that.

"We showed good penetration and that is what the gaffer wants. He wants us to play out and get as many touches. He wants quick football and it is working.

“The more time the manager gets the better we will be.”

Link

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I've not been down on the squad as much as others but this was pretty much my main takeaway from watching the full 90 of Saturday back.

Essentially it's clear that Alexanderball was a choice.

He had a group of players who are capable of putting in a footballing performance like we saw on Saturday after a fortnight with Hammell but he chose to play percentages. Which is fine, he kept us up and then he finished 5th and qualified for Europe playing that way.

It's been interesting reading the post-game reaction and the number of people who seemed to take the Sligo games as a bellwether for our season rather than a fucking cry for help.

I'm not a football snob by any means so was happy with Alexanderball as long as it worked. What I find utterly bizarre though is GA signed the players he did to then play the way he did...if you're only interested in running, tackling and safety first, having Goss, Spittal, Tierney, Morris etc is mighty odd.

As for the bellweather thing, it's too early to tell. For ages I thought the squad was underperforming and a new manager would get a tune of them. By the time of Sligo - and the two Saints games after - I'd decided I was wrong. Maybe I'm wrong I was wrong...

Not that anyone is getting carried away but I strongly suspect Aberdeen underestimated us on Saturday and beyond that they're clearly a team that wants the ball, to play footie etc, so certainly wasn't able to adapt to us suddenly clicking

Livi on Saturday will be a truly fascinating test given both their well renowned way of strangling things plus their clear attacking threat, above all Nouble, against our still as dodgy as hell defence.