Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

7 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

I mean, grassing aside, at 35 and assuming a level of fitness, he'd be a more than decent option even if he was amenable to a deal 'til Christmas then take it from there.

An experienced pro who could slot straight in is far from the worst option we could go for tbh.

Fwiw, he played 24 games for QPR last season (21 starts in the Championship). I've no idea why he missed the last 6 games of the season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lee-wallace/leistungsdaten/spieler/36657/plus/0?saison=2021

I mean, it kind of feels like we're in a place where we 100% need known quantities and I suppose in this specific case we have precisely zero first team left backs available so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw, he played 24 games for QPR last season (21 starts in the Championship). I've no idea why he missed the last 6 games of the season. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lee-wallace/leistungsdaten/spieler/36657/plus/0?saison=2021

I mean, it kind of feels like we're in a place where we 100% need known quantities and I suppose in this specific case we have precisely zero first team left backs available so  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

A back 3 of McGinn, Sol, and Lamie with O'Donnell and Wallace ahead in a 3-5-2? Could do worse. 

Edit : fwiw, I doubt it'll be him, he'd have told someone by now.

Edited by 'WellDel

1 minute ago, boozyBJ said:

Who’s the wee guy that plays lb for Morton? 

Lewis Strapp. Surprised he’s still at Morton to be fair. Good player and can launch a shy about 80 yards. 

I would take Wallace on two accounts:

1. I think he'd be absolutely fine for this standard and a marked upgrade on Carroll and McGinley

2. At his age and background, I reckon he would be happy with a deal until the end of the season. Most younger players that we would look to fill that gap will be after at least an 18-month deal and I'm not sure that I would want to commit our future at left back to someone who is available with less than 3 weeks of the window left.

I had it in my head that Wallace had been playing at CB for QPR, but that was about 4 games 3 years ago.

Anyway, get Derek Watson in for his signing video.

We should really have taken the leap for the boy Harry Milne before he went to Thistle, IMO.

Also congrats @dezz!

54 minutes ago, Richie said:

Good old Tony.

He actually made a cameo in the play-off first leg at Ibrox, making it all the funnier.

The "Strakers on, we're taking the piss" chant was one of so many highlights from that evening.

6 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Aye a decent article. Suppose the bit I'd pick out is: 

"The wish though from supporters – and, I understand, the boardroom – will be to progress towards a more attractive style of football."

I'd be keen to emphasise on this point that we don't want a Stephen Glass or Shaun Maloney type effort to play a free flowing passing style with players that aren't good enough to play it. "A more attrractive style" Absolutely but I actually think the fans don't ask for too much on this front. We just want a team that is capable of stringing more than two passes together and whose style isn't solely based around lumping balls into the box and hoping the ball will fall to somebody. I'm far from fussed if we're not the best team to watch in the league, I just expect a top flight football team in Scotland to actually look to play some football rather than a weird game of hit and hope.

You've summed up my thoughts on Alexander's legacy far more succinctly and accurately than I could hope to. Cheers.

7 hours ago, dezz said:

Currently on honeymoon and got some decent wifi for the first time in a fortnight… have I missed much? 👀 

Cautiously optimistic based on what I’ve read from SH so far this morning, but no idea whatsoever if he’s actually a good coach. I’d like to see a more experienced assistant to come in to support him in what is going to be a huge task to turn us around. If we can plug the very obvious gaps in the squad with a bit of quality over the next few weeks and begin to implement a non-eye bleeding style then we might just be ok this season.

Congrats!