Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

(If you've got the stomach for it the clinic who did his surgery have a video up on YouTube - it's age restricted so no point linking on here but it's the 2nd video if you search for 'Craig Tanner injury')

I watched that at the time. To be clear here, do not look this up if you've no had your breakfast yet. 🤢

8 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Aye a decent article. Suppose the bit I'd pick out is: 

"The wish though from supporters – and, I understand, the boardroom – will be to progress towards a more attractive style of football."

I'd be keen to emphasise on this point that we don't want a Stephen Glass or Shaun Maloney type effort to play a free flowing passing style with players that aren't good enough to play it. "A more attrractive style" Absolutely but I actually think the fans don't ask for too much on this front. We just want a team that is capable of stringing more than two passes together and whose style isn't solely based around lumping balls into the box and hoping the ball will fall to somebody. I'm far from fussed if we're not the best team to watch in the league, I just expect a top flight football team in Scotland to actually look to play some football rather than a weird game of hit and hope.

In fairness, that point is pretty much qualified here:

"That is not to say that the Motherwell fans and executives have collectively lost their marbles, turning their back on pragmatism to chase a pie in the sky ‘total football’ philosophy. Hammell is unlikely to create his own version of ‘Angeball’ when he has – with the greatest of respect – Connor Shields lining up out wide instead of Jota.

There is nothing wrong however with a team at least trying to play a brand of football that can entertain punters who are shelling out ever-increasing sums to watch it on a weekly basis. And while Hammell won’t be as idealistic as say, Shaun Maloney was during his ill-fated stint at Hibernian, he will be expected to evolve the Motherwell team beyond the rudimentary style adopted by Alexander."

Link

It's just interesting that after years of varying degrees of pragmatism we seem to have reached a point where there's been an acceptance that actually, aye - style of football does matter and it is something worth addressing.

It's quite a sea change to hear staff even talking about it as a *thing* tbh.

I was trying to think of ex players who Hammell might have worked with who could return. Seems to be a thing we do…

What about James Scott. He’s had a time of it with injuries and wasn’t great by all accounts at Hibs, hat trick aside but would anyone think it’s a viable option. 

Offers, height, some trickery and is another attacking option. I personally rated him highly so would take him back. 

Edited by wellboy1991
Amendment

Not at all confident about Hammy’s appointment, think it’s way too soon but he’s a Fir Park legend and 2nd best left back in my lifetime (Studs #1) and I’ll be giving him my wholehearted backing. Just hope it doesn’t go titties up…….

I took that article from McGarry to be a semi-official statement tbh, including the hint about the compensation for Simo.

Hammell talks a decent game for sure but with the pendulum going away from GAs approach you would expect nothing less really. The practice a lot tougher than the theory!

McMillan better than Hammell btw...hmm. perhaps recency bias and Hammell being Hammell colours my judgment but I'd have had him firmly third on my lifetime left back list (to put my age in a very certain window there!).

I think the most important thing for us all to get our heads around is what a successful season looks like under Hammy. Normally, I judge it against our peer clubs (and the ones that are a bit smaller than us) - if we finish ahead of them - good, if we finish ahead of some larger budget clubs too - great. This season, we're obviously starting from a far lower point than last season's league finish indicates. We're realistically a team trying to shake off relegation form (and performances) and expectations should be calibrated to that.

I think this season is about staying in the league and actually making some visible progress in changing the style to something more entertaining and actually implementing a more medium term plan rather than a season by season rollercoaster reactive mess that we've become. 

I joked a few months ago that last season's angry football purists will instantly change to this season's angry "results are all that matter" pragmatists - and I think that is still a risk. It's easy to say that we all want good football - but will the majority accept that if we're sitting 9th or 10th for prolonged periods? (There are folk in our support that are perma-raging for their own reasons and hate everything regardless (or shout "get it up the fuckin park!" after 3 passes, before presumably giving pelters to the club twitter account about entertainment) - there is nothing to be done there)

The last time we played good football - the brief Young Motherwell period was brilliant fun during a mediocre bottom 6 finish - so it is possible.

TL;DR: Sign Gboly.

I mean, if we're taking him literally on his word here, we're looking at 4 (at least, I guess).

"We need a little bit of recruitment," Hammell said.

"The squad needs a bit tweaking here and there. We've made enquiries about players. Recruitment's so, so important.

"There's no secret we need a couple of attacking options. We need that as well as a couple of other positions.

"I'd rather sign a seven, eight out of 10 player that's going to fit in to what we're trying to do here and fit into the culture of that we're trying to do than an nine or a 10 player who's going to come in and give us problems."

Link

Quite enjoying reading between the lines here. The "attacking options" comment is self-evident but also suggests that tea's oot for Efford and Shields as starting options.

I've no real wish to pile on big Toby but the way Hammell's spoken about Carroll makes me think that even if he was fit McGinley wouldn't be the type of left back Hammell is looking for. I'm curious to see if he takes any steps to clean house a bit.

Give me starting quality players at left back, centre back, centre forward, wide player and if I'm being greedy another midfield option and I'll be happy.

Again, it'll be interesting to see precisely what a Hammell signing looks like.

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, if we're taking him literally on his word here, we're looking at 4 (at least, I guess).

Quite enjoying reading between the lines here. The "attacking options" comment is self-evident but also suggests that tea's oot for Efford and Shields as starting options.

I've no real wish to pile on big Toby but the way Hammell's spoken about Carroll makes me think that even if he was fit McGinley wouldn't be the type of left back Hammell would be looking for. I'm curious to see if he takes any steps to clean house a bit.

Give me starting quality players at left back, centre back, centre forward, wide player and if I'm being greedy another midfield option and I'll be happy.

Again, it'll be interesting to see precisely what a Hammell signing looks like.

I'd feel a bit bad for Shields, I actually quite like him and feel he's been given a raw deal out wide when I doubt it's his best position. Whether he should be a starter is a fair argument though.

Wonder if I'm right in saying that we haven't really used the Scottish market as much as other clubs in the division over the years (might just be my feeling) but seems to have moved more to that this summer, bringing in McGinn and Spittal and I suspect most of Hammell's contacts will be based in the Scottish game so if we're speculating on potential signings, might not have to look too far from home.

10 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

I'd feel a bit bad for Shields, I actually quite like him and feel he's been given a raw deal out wide when I doubt it's his best position. Whether he should be a starter is a fair argument though.

Wonder if I'm right in saying that we haven't really used the Scottish market as much as other clubs in the division over the years (might just be my feeling) but seems to have moved more to that this summer, bringing in McGinn and Spittal and I suspect most of Hammell's contacts will be based in the Scottish game so if we're speculating on potential signings, might not have to look too far from home.

Depends how far back you want to go.

From 17/18 when Robinson got the job:

Fisher (ICT), Ferguson (Airdrie), Ciftci (Celtic - loan), Sammon (Hearts - loan), Polworth (ICT), Gallagher (Livi), MacIver (Ross County), Lamie (Livi), White (ICT), Fox (Thistle), O'Donnell (Killie), Hastie (Rangers - loan), Crawford (Livi - loan/made permanent), Foley (St Mirren), Roberts (loan x2/made permanent), Shields (QoTS), Shaw (Celtic - loan), Spittal (County), McGinn (Hibs).

That's not including guys like Watt, Lawless, O'Hara, Kelly etc who were all known quantities in Scottish football but weren't signed from Scottish clubs.

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, dezz said:

I’ll join in. Max Lowe (ex-Dons LB). 

No idea who it will be, but left back is now obviously high priority. It's the position I'm most intrigued to see filled, by virtue of the man himself being a master of the art and, four years after retiring, still the last competent person we had to fill the berth. 

If he can pull a signing out the bag of someone with even half his ability, culture of his left peg and delivery, that'll do for me,  as none of the imposters who've followed so far have come close to lacing his boots.

I'm no fan of grasses but if we're after an experienced emergency left back who could presumably slot in to a team without needing their hand held I see Lee Wallace is still without a club after leaving QPR (I'm assuming he's not injured or whatever).

Edited by capt_oats

25 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'm no fan of grasses but if we're after an experienced emergency left back who could presumably slot in to a team without needing their hand held I see Lee Wallace is still without a club after leaving QPR (I'm assuming he's not injured or whatever).

Just turned 35. Despite where we are my preference in reverse order is:

• SPFL fringe player on loan
  • English loanee (unless there’s an option to buy)
  • Lee Wallace
  • Someone who offers a modicum of potential resale value

More quotes from Hammell's press conference:

On Carroll's injury, which came as a result of an awkward landing in training, Hammell said: "It's a ruptured patellar tendon so it's pretty serious.

"Jake's a great boy, a good player. He was one we had earmarked for improvement. He wasn't playing at his full capacity and we saw in the short space of time that there was a lot of improvement to come from Jake. I think he would admit that himself.

"He is going to be a big loss for us and I am absolutely gutted for the boy. He will be lucky to play this season.

"Nathan is still going to be out for a period of time."

"We have made enquiries about players," he said. "It's tough.

"Recruitment is key, recruitment is so, so important, and bringing the right person in. I would rather sign a seven or eight out of 10 player that is going to fit in with what we are trying to do here and fit in with the culture and environment, than a nine or a 10 that's going to give us problems.

"We need to be clever with it. It's difficult with how late we are but when we do it, of course it's never going to be perfect and there might be some kind of risk attached to it, but we need to be confident they are going to make an impact straight away.

"We have made enquiries about a couple and there's a couple that are slow burning.

"It's no secret we need a couple of attacking options as well as a couple of other positions. With Jake Carroll getting injured, obviously that's something we will need to look at quickly."

Link

and Sean Goss

Midfielder Sean Goss is one player who looks set to benefit from Hammell's approach of giving players more licence to express themselves and get on the ball.

Goss said: "All managers are different in the way they go about training. There's been a lot of short, sharp stuff, lots of touches on the ball, possession-based, just to get the boys going again, and hopefully get a bit more confidence in the side.

"It's obviously going to take time, you can't just change the way a team plays overnight, but all the lads are looking forward to it."

Tbh, I genuinely can't read anything that's coming out the club just now as anything other than low key digs at Alexander.

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, grassing aside, at 35 and assuming a level of fitness, he'd be a more than decent option even if he was amenable to a deal 'til Christmas then take it from there.

An experienced pro who could slot straight in is far from the worst option we could go for tbh.