Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Hope this is a good appointment, can remember Stevie breaking through in the reserve team next to Mcleish who referred to him as "Shagger" all through the game! Also, didn't he once stitch up a gash on his ankle or something instead of going to hospital? 

31 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

If he got a tune out of his kitchen accoutrements he might be straight on to a winner, as your average pepper mill is more mobile than van fucking veen at least 5 weeks out of 6.

I had the mustard pot up front with the salt cellar coming in off the wing.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

I would like to think that Hammell has been rehearsing for this role for the past year.  Every Saturday night in our winless period he would be going home and shuffling the sauce bottles and pepper mills on his kitchen table into his preferred formations.  Now is the time to bring all that preparation to bear.

As long as he doesn't play Carroll at centre midfield in the cup final.

There was an astonishing stat last night, since United reached the UEFA Cup final they have only won five European ties, the last in 1997. They have exited at the first hurdle in their last five attempts.

Makes us look positively mighty.

I would have been happy to take a bit of a tonking for a jaunt away but dunno if 7-0 for a night out in Alkmaar a fair trade.

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
7 hours ago, 'WellDel said:
If he got a tune out of his kitchen accoutrements he might be straight on to a winner, as your average pepper mill is more mobile than van fucking veen at least 5 weeks out of 6.

#AnnouncePepperMill

Conor Pepper and Roger Milla’s boy - double signing,

I would like to think that Hammell has been rehearsing for this role for the past year.  Every Saturday night in our winless period he would be going home and shuffling the sauce bottles and pepper mills on his kitchen table into his preferred formations.  Now is the time to bring all that preparation to bear.
That's a lot of cleaning up if he's got the salt cellar as Slattery.

10 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

It feels like a massive few weeks for the club. First of all for new signings because the current squad would finish tenth at best. Secondly, who on earth is going to replace Hammell and Kerr with the youth team. Thirdly who will be in the coaching staff - no idea if that’s just a goalkeeper coach or more.

There’s no time for a honeymoon period anyway.

Aye. It's kind of stating the obvious but it feels like the recruitment/signings will massively dictate the direction of travel here. I've mentioned before but I think the fact that the squad is so obviously unfinished at the moment (whether that's by design or not IDK) is in our favour.

I'd be more concerned if there wasn't room to manoeuvre with the squad - which would have been the case if we were still adopting the Robinson approach of having everyone signed by the start of pre-season.

Similarly the coaching side of things feels hugely relevant now. I'm sceptical about Brian "lazy leg is lazy" Kerr being there as assistant but if Hammell's able to surround himself with some experienced coaches it'd help balance out his relative inexperience.

Edited by capt_oats

Currently on honeymoon and got some decent wifi for the first time in a fortnight… have I missed much? 👀 

Cautiously optimistic based on what I’ve read from SH so far this morning, but no idea whatsoever if he’s actually a good coach. I’d like to see a more experienced assistant to come in to support him in what is going to be a huge task to turn us around. If we can plug the very obvious gaps in the squad with a bit of quality over the next few weeks and begin to implement a non-eye bleeding style then we might just be ok this season.

35 minutes ago, dezz said:

Currently on honeymoon and got some decent wifi for the first time in a fortnight… have I missed much? 👀 

Cautiously optimistic based on what I’ve read from SH so far this morning, but no idea whatsoever if he’s actually a good coach. I’d like to see a more experienced assistant to come in to support him in what is going to be a huge task to turn us around. If we can plug the very obvious gaps in the squad with a bit of quality over the next few weeks and begin to implement a non-eye bleeding style then we might just be ok this season.

What you doing on here if you are on your honeymoon……Ah I see preparing for married life 😉 Congrats by the way 👍

Shite news about Carroll. Whether you rate him or not to miss a full season is a bummer and also leaves us short of LB options. Puts the emphasis on a 1st choice left back and not a squad filler especially since McGinley seems to be no nearer to return despite being seen in training photos 🤔.

I am glad Hammell got the job. I get the reservations but no guarantee an experienced Manager would succeed. I don’t expect miracles but if I see a more pleasing style of football and avoiding relegation I would consider that job done for his 1st season. I have already seen others disagree with such low ambitions but he has inherited a shitshow. And I guess backs up the assertion that being Manager of Motherwell you are on a hiding to nothing ! Even if you are a Legend of the club. No pleasing some 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

What you doing on here if you are on your honeymoon……Ah I see preparing for married life 😉 Congrats by the way 👍

Shite news about Carroll. Whether you rate him or not to miss a full season is a bummer and also leaves us short of LB options. Puts the emphasis on a 1st choice left back and not a squad filler especially since McGinley seems to be no nearer to return despite being seen in training photos 🤔.

I am glad Hammell got the job. I get the reservations but no guarantee an experienced Manager would succeed. I don’t expect miracles but if I see a more pleasing style of football and avoiding relegation I would consider that job done for his 1st season. I have already seen others disagree with such low ambitions but he has inherited a shitshow. And I guess backs up the assertion that being Manager of Motherwell you are on a hiding to nothing ! Even if you are a Legend of the club. No pleasing some 🤷‍♂️

Thanks! She’s already a few cocktails down, so I’m taking the opportunity to jump on here for some coherent chat (which is saying something!) 

Aye, shite news for Carroll. Was it not a similar injury that wrecked Craig Tanner? Imagine we’ll ‘do the right thing’ and chuck him a 6 month extension next summer to give him the opportunity to get back fit. 

3 minutes ago, dezz said:

Aye, shite news for Carroll. Was it not a similar injury that wrecked Craig Tanner? Imagine we’ll ‘do the right thing’ and chuck him a 6 month extension next summer to give him the opportunity to get back fit. 

It was exactly the same. Although he also had a dislocation of the kneecap.

(If you've got the stomach for it the clinic who did his surgery have a video up on YouTube - it's age restricted so no point linking on here but it's the 2nd video if you search for 'Craig Tanner injury')

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Quite a nice article from McGarry here.

Aye a decent article. Suppose the bit I'd pick out is: 

"The wish though from supporters – and, I understand, the boardroom – will be to progress towards a more attractive style of football."

I'd be keen to emphasise on this point that we don't want a Stephen Glass or Shaun Maloney type effort to play a free flowing passing style with players that aren't good enough to play it. "A more attrractive style" Absolutely but I actually think the fans don't ask for too much on this front. We just want a team that is capable of stringing more than two passes together and whose style isn't solely based around lumping balls into the box and hoping the ball will fall to somebody. I'm far from fussed if we're not the best team to watch in the league, I just expect a top flight football team in Scotland to actually look to play some football rather than a weird game of hit and hope.