Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Seems like a sensible appointment for many reasons. Last thing you need is someone who doesn’t know the club, or the players, and going through the usual square pegs in round holes scenario for several months. It’s good to see him getting his chance and it could be ideal for the academy to first team route as well. Not sure about Brian Kerr though. Hope SH does well, but not too well obviously. Surprised so many Well fans would settle for tenth place this early in the season!

10 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Hammell looks like he could stare someone to death, Las look like everyone's pal.

Aye, I thought that about Hammell too. For a guy who I can never really remember being wheeled out in front of the cameras as a player, I was surprised to see him speak with a confidence and authority and just the right amount of intimidation. 

21 minutes ago, CoF said:

Aye, I thought that about Hammell too. For a guy who I can never really remember being wheeled out in front of the cameras as a player, I was surprised to see him speak with a confidence and authority and just the right amount of intimidation. 

It's weird, I know basically nothing about Hammell other than he indulges in voodoo and has a great first touch. 

Lasley you feel like you know way more, and maybe that's why you'd worry more if he'd got it.

18 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It's weird, I know basically nothing about Hammell other than he indulges in voodoo and has a great first touch. 

Lasley you feel like you know way more, and maybe that's why you'd worry more if he'd got it.

This is a weird phenomenon. I've met Stevie Hammell several times in non-football contexts and he's been extremely pleasant, yet I still feel this way. Maybe he should tie a scarf round his head before the next game and give us a rendition of Twist and Shout.

1 minute ago, rowsdower said:

Lasley is a compliment sandwich kind of guy, Hammell is going to dismantle you with a sentence then look you out of his office.

I don't understand the voodoo reference.

It's a long running bit - the left back position has been cursed since he retired.

6 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Just out of interest, what are people's reasons for being so optimistic about Hammell? Only reason I ask is that when Lasley had been linked with the job in the past most people have been against it but in terms of profile, experience etc. Hammell and Lasley are pretty much identical.

For the record, I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic about the appointment but a large part of me has the fear.

Essentially, because no c**t knows how it will go, regardless of how any one person tries to justify their prediction. That leaves you the ability to decide for yourself if you want to be excited or worried. Neither is right or wrong because as I say, no c**t knows at this stage...so it's a straight choice about how you want life to be.

Sure, if you're optimistic you might be wrong, but so what....no-one's dying from this and at least you had that period of excited optimism that anyone who picked the other path didn't get. Hammy might end up shite and both paths lead to shitsville, but I'd rather have a fun journey while I'm on the way there.

It's only fitba'. Smile.

Edited by Al B

Can't believe he's no signed anyone
I feel like the club missed a trick here. They could have secretly gave him the job last week, then lined up the singings to parade at the end of his first day. He could have done his wee intro interview then ended it with, "right, I need a phone and a tractor, let's go"

I would like to think that Hammell has been rehearsing for this role for the past year.  Every Saturday night in our winless period he would be going home and shuffling the sauce bottles and pepper mills on his kitchen table into his preferred formations.  Now is the time to bring all that preparation to bear.

35 minutes ago, ropy said:

I would like to think that Hammell has been rehearsing for this role for the past year.  Every Saturday night in our winless period he would be going home and shuffling the sauce bottles and pepper mills on his kitchen table into his preferred formations.  Now is the time to bring all that preparation to bear.

If he got a tune out of his kitchen accoutrements he might be straight on to a winner, as your average pepper mill is more mobile than van fucking veen at least 5 weeks out of 6.

Edited by 'WellDel

It feels like a massive few weeks for the club. First of all for new signings because the current squad would finish tenth at best. Secondly, who on earth is going to replace Hammell and Kerr with the youth team. Thirdly who will be in the coaching staff - no idea if that’s just a goalkeeper coach or more.

There’s no time for a honeymoon period anyway.