Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'm with Desp, tbqhwy.

Easy to pitch it as a risk, or lazy, but with the context of the nick of the place at the moment, whats required and what's expected, Hammell is a good choice for me.

Is his lack of managerial experience a risk? Yes.

Do I think there was some kind of top tier candidate applying? No.

Is Simo a similarly huge risk? Yes.

Is some c**t that you've never heard of really able to come in, recruit and sort it before the window closes, which in reality is what is required right now? Probably not.

I'm into it, particularly the bit in the statement about a club wide plan for playing folk, that's class.

Every great manager started somewhere.

One thing I’m confident about he’ll have the whole team pulling in the same direction …. which will be nice for a change.

He is undoubtedly tuned in to the support. As for addressing the issues  with the squad he’ll have better knowledge on day one than anyone else.

Now give him as much money as we’ve got left and let him go shopping for defenders Flao.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Who was the last club hero appointment that worked out in Scottish football without it ending in tears?

All of our managerial appointments end in tears - it comes down to what happens in between.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Who was the last club hero appointment that worked out in Scottish football without it ending in tears?

Aside from Gio getting to a europa league final, Callum Davidson winning two cups or Robbie Neilson collecting the best of the rest trophy?

Hardly any, I guess.

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

Aside from Gio getting to a europa league final, Callum Davidson winning two cups or Robbie Neilson collecting the best of the rest trophy?

Hardly any, I guess.

I seem to remember Neilson being hounded out at Hearts with planes flying overhead demanding he leave first time round.

As for Davidson, I'm sure most of their fans would be delighted if he left right now.

Finally, Gio, still early days on that one for me. Amazing start he's had but I still reckon it'll end in tears.

It's a gamble for sure, but happy to go with the boards decision if they deem him the best man for the job. All the very best Hammy.

Now, the announcement has been made nice and early in the day, so I see no reason why we can't have at least two new signings announced before close of business.

Get it sorted Burrows!!!

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I seem to remember Neilson being hounded out at Hearts with planes flying overhead demanding he leave first time round.

As for Davidson, I'm sure most of their fans would be delighted if he left right now.

Finally, Gio, still early days on that one for me. Amazing start he's had but I still reckon it'll end in tears.

Cool so discounting the three in the league right now who have all won trophies and or reached cup finals in the last two seasons I guess you're right. 

19 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'm with Desp, tbqhwy.

Easy to pitch it as a risk, or lazy, but with the context of the nick of the place at the moment, whats required and what's expected, Hammell is a good choice for me.

Is his lack of managerial experience a risk? Yes.

Do I think there was some kind of top tier candidate applying? No.

Is Simo a similarly huge risk? Yes.

Is some c**t that you've never heard of really able to come in, recruit and sort it before the window closes, which in reality is what is required right now? Probably not.

I'm into it, particularly the bit in the statement about a club wide plan for playing folk, that's class.

Aye, for all I was saying I couldn't talk myself into Hammell earlier - this is a reverse ferret from me.

Like, the other options all had/have risks so mitigating that by giving the job to a guy who's actually in the building, has a knowledge of what he has to work with and can literally start the second the news story is published seems sensible given the apparent lack of obvious candidates for the job.

Tbh, I'd absolutely take Hammell over a RangersTV shill like Kevin Thomson. So there's that.