Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Would we be happy with David Healy?

Just saw that shout on Steelmen.

In terms of profile ie: age, playing experience etc he's in line with the sort of manager we'd go for IMO. The only question mark is transferring managing at Linfield to us.

This is from an interview in The Guardian the other week:

Having won four consecutive league titles with Linfield, Healy has been linked with a move to England, Scotland, or perhaps even the Northern Ireland job. Right now, his family are settled in the seaside town of Bangor and he is enjoying building a lasting legacy at the club. He knows that eventually a job offer may come in and test his mettle, but that time has not come yet.

“I was never one as a player to shout for moves, although I look back and maybe I could have stayed at some clubs a little longer. I don’t sit at home and wish I was managing elsewhere. I feel honoured and privileged to still be at Linfield. I’m really passionate about Northern Ireland and its sport. I want to eventually manage in England, Scotland and Europe, but when the time is right and it’s too good to pass up.”

Link

I've no idea about his merits tbh. They have done ok in Europe, to my perception at least, and he got a tune of out of Christy Manzinga...

Intuitively I feel he's worth a crack and in the absence of a safe option better than Hammell and on a par with Simo.

Concern is managers from that island tend not to do well in Scotland... Shields won a fortunate cup but was a loony, Baraclough, Kenny etc. 

I’d rather have Hammell than Healy, Healy’s won trophies with one of the wealthier teams in that league who’ve also won a lot in their past. Think they’re one half of a ‘big two’ with Glentoran which makes it unclear on how successful the transfer of his experience will be. 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Probably pretty similar pedigree to Simo, really, with similar potential downsides, would be happy enough with whichever one comes across better in their interviews. 

Not that I'm fully advocating him for the job but the upside of Healy is probably that he wouldn't need a work permit/visa (Linfield still have a European qualifier to play tomorrow though).

He's also been involved in the Scottish game far more recently than Simo and has been actively recruiting from Scottish/British football as a manager. (OK those signings were Christy Manzinga, Jake Hastie, Ben Hall and Mich'el Parker but still...)

The main question mark is whether appointing someone from the NI league is any more/less of a risk than a guy from the Finnish league.

I mean, obviously everyone can use Wiki but here's his playing record....

1962280572_ScreenShot2022-08-10at20_28_37.thumb.png.fe6036bc44da6667ea02df1dd9124fc5.png

And of course 2 of his 4 league goals for the **** were against us...

2033083379_ScreenShot2022-08-10at20_12_34.thumb.png.5846a3a43e66c4d2f68c64a6b8f3606c.png

Edited by capt_oats

Trying to work out how you can amass 137 appearances over 3 seasons and went to Norwich in the middle of it for 6 months. The English lower leagues are a slugfest but even still.

He also got a goal every three games for PNE. Does not compute.

Edited by Kapowzer

35 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Trying to work out how you can amass 137 appearances over 3 seasons and went to Norwich in the middle of it for 6 months. The English lower leagues are a slugfest but even still.

He also got a goal every three games for PNE. Does not compute.

Speaking of Preston. Healy was also a teammate of Alexander, Lucketti and Robinson.

Healy would be an incredibly uninspired choice.  I don’t know much about his management career but he strikes me as another Robinson, in terms of his general profile.

I’m kinda of the opinion that the club needs to do a bit of work to win the fan base back round after Alexander, no guarantee the likes of Simo would be much different but I’d assume Healy would be dealing in pretty much the same transfer market as Robinson,  Alexander and even Baraclough.

Simo at least has the cult hero thing and whilst that’s no guarantee of success at all, it’s a touch more interesting than the usual.

So what do we reckon, announcement tomorrow?

"I took training this morning, I've also got tomorrow to get a feel for the team before Saturday" or

"Stevie Hammell will continue in his caretaker role while ______ will take in the game from the main stand". 

4 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

So what do we reckon, announcement tomorrow?

"I took training this morning, I've also got tomorrow to get a feel for the team before Saturday" or

"Stevie Hammell will continue in his caretaker role while ______ will take in the game from the main stand". 

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

My out there hunch is non-hammell appointment tomorrow with Hammell plus another tbc as assistants. Ask mcbookie and blame me later.

I can't see an announcement tomorrow if it's either Healy or Valakari given both their teams have European fixtures tbh.

Also, I'd be surprised if Hammell was an assistant given the decks are clear for the new guy to bring in whoever he wants and lest SH go back to running the Academy.

Edited by capt_oats

4 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

I think it's Simo. Always did and just had a wee feelin' fae the start. But whoever it is this will defo be the line when announced (on Friday).

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Speaking of Preston. Healy was also a teammate of Alexander, Lucketti and Robinson.

Only PNE link I want at the club going forward is Louis Moult if OCP get hold of him and Robocop retrofit his legs.

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I can't see an announcement tomorrow if it's either Healy or Valakari given both their teams have European fixtures tbh.

Also, I'd be surprised if Hammell was an assistant given the decks are clear for the new guy to bring in whoever he wants and lest SH go back to running the Academy.

Neither are live ties really though and we'll have two assistants, designated however...so promoting Hammell a freebie on all sides.

An outside bet, mind, I agree.

I see initial reports suggesting an announcement will be made at some point today.

I get a sense that unless the club were blown away by any of the other applicants Hammell may well be offered the gig full time. I think given his connections with the club he may well be more amenable to a open ended contract to see how it goes for both parties.

If it works well then great, if not so well he can stay at the club in his current role. I appreciate that means a replacement for the Head of Academy role for the short term future at least. 

Just speculation. Knowing Motherwell they will announce someone no one has been talking about or is aware of. There seem to be 4 on shortlist and two others mentioned are Healy and Simo. Leaving the one unknown…..

Edited by welldaft

45 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

So we were in for Callum Hendry.

CH: "I felt like it was the right time to start a new chapter. Dad did say you could have a great season again at Saints, but compared to having a great season at Salford, if you want to make a name for yourself, people are going to notice you more scoring goals for Salford."

Guess it depends where you want to be noticed then, how did Adam Rooney get on there.....? 

33 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Just speculation. Knowing Motherwell they will announce someone no one has been talking about or is aware of. 

FWIW, totally agree with this. I get the Simo 'feeling', but if I was to bet, I'd bet on the mystery box.