Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I half-wonder if Josh Morris has held on to his receipt and looking at the small print of his contract given he's almost certainly here because of his previous with Alexander.

I actually wondered if Morris was part of the reason he's been mutually consented. Not single handedly obviously, but as part of the bigger picture of giving Alexander the summer to fix things, change style, bring in quality. 

I don't want to sound harsh as Ive not seen enough of Morris to judge, but the board / senior players / Hammell etc will have a better view. I wonder if the board thought we gave him a few quid from the kitty to see what he would do with it and he's fucked it. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

In and of itself it's a general platitude but given the post-Alexander messaging from Hammell and recently SOD about style it feels like it's something we're consciously leaning into. What that actually means or how it plays out IDK but it really feels like we're doing our best to distance ourselves as far as possible from Alexanderball.

I mean it must be a pretty fucking grim feeling trying to teach your youth players how to play football in a way that involves passing when you then look at the first team and the gameplan makes you want to pull your eyeballs out your skull as a spectator. 

As it stands I reckon it'll be Simo. Hammell is a maybe. 

I also cannot see us appointing Mackay due to his views being from the dark ages. 

2 hours ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

🤫Screenshot_20220810-130746.png.120ef60620f8bf53c37a7e458dad7447.png

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Now we're fuckin TALKING.

Simo for manager,  big Sieb for goalie coach..... if Flao has gone all in on a retro nineties vibe for his entire backroom staff and Holm Kraska or Mickey Doesburg are spotted down Brandon Parade wi initialled trackies on, I'm calling the job fucked and getting the big man sectioned.

9 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Simo for manager,  big Sieb for goalie coach..... if Flao has gone all in on a retro nineties vibe for his entire backroom staff and Holm Kraska or Mickey Doesburg are spotted down Brandon Parade wi initialled trackies on, I'm calling the job fucked and getting the big man sectioned.

Get Sasa Curcic in as chief happiness officer.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't really understand this. In what way would getting knocked out of Europe be likely to be contractually relevant to the sacking of a coach who took over a club bottom of the league?

Find that hard to believe. It's unlikely to have been in his contract that he can be binned if they get knocked out of ECL in the qualifiers. Agreeing to a clause like this would be allowing himself to be fired for being successful then losing one tie. Since they didn't play any other competitive games under him after finishing fifth in the league, this basically means he'd have had to agree to a clause that said 'if you're successful, you put yourself on a tightrope'.

Surely only plausible if Alexander has the world's worst agent.

That's my point - it was, in the end Alexander coming to the club that did it. 

Sacking him end of season - non starter, full compo 99% nailed on. 

Wiggle room, the key phrase, after being pumped out Europa 'early' or a poor start to season could have been the opening to a break in contract at not full compo given basis contract was signed on and certain clauses/agreements. Sounds vague and it was I believe. Thats all I know really from someone close to the club. 

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't really understand this. In what way would getting knocked out of Europe be likely to be contractually relevant to the sacking of a coach who took over a club bottom of the league?

Find that hard to believe. It's unlikely to have been in his contract that he can be binned if they get knocked out of ECL in the qualifiers. Agreeing to a clause like this would be allowing himself to be fired for being successful then losing one tie. Since they didn't play any other competitive games under him after finishing fifth in the league, this basically means he'd have had to agree to a clause that said 'if you're successful, you put yourself on a tightrope'.

Surely only plausible if Alexander has the world's worst agent.

If Alexander had performance bonuses for reaching europe  then subsequent bonuses for progressing through each round he can argue that if he wasn't in charge for the Euro matches he should get the bonuses anyway.

There was similar chat around Celtic binning Lennon and the fact they held on for so long was that if he got sacked before THE TEN was mathematically impossible they could still have to pay the bonuses in the contract.

49 minutes ago, eliphas said:

That's my point - it was, in the end Alexander coming to the club that did it. 

Sacking him end of season - non starter, full compo 99% nailed on. 

Wiggle room, the key phrase, after being pumped out Europa 'early' or a poor start to season could have been the opening to a break in contract at not full compo given basis contract was signed on and certain clauses/agreements. Sounds vague and it was I believe. Thats all I know really from someone close to the club. 

But that’s the crux of my argument, the difference between full compo and what he got, if it’s more than £350k then fair enough to wait. But I doubt that so why not take the hit, punt him get a new guy in and let him recruit effectively to at least show up in the ECL.

Not that progression against Sligo was a given whoever we had in place as where we are at present anyone in the top half of the championship would give us a scare.

Article from the Sun there with KuPS owner saying we’d have to pay out a hefty compensation fee for Simo. Don’t know how much manager’s compensation fees tend to be but surely if it’s affordable the correct manager is similar to a new signing. 

Not to be too hyperbolic but it feels like one of the most important appointments in recent years with a lot of make or breaks and costs involved such as potential manager compensation fees and the subsequent recruitment of coaches and hopefully good players. The main names on the shortlist we know about (Hammell and Valakari) have a massive element of risk but the fans could get behind them for their links to the club. There’s a real sense of excitement but also anxiety from fellow supporters I’ve spoken to.  

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

There was similar chat around Celtic binning Lennon and the fact they held on for so long was that if he got sacked before THE TEN was mathematically impossible they could still have to pay the bonuses in the contract.

Digressing slightly, but surely binning Lennon early and securing 10IAR would be worth whatever bonus Lennon was due?

No-brainer. It would have been a feat never to be repeated.

1 hour ago, Ill Ray said:

Article from the Sun there with KuPS owner saying we’d have to pay out a hefty compensation fee for Simo. Don’t know how much manager’s compensation fees tend to be but surely if it’s affordable the correct manager is similar to a new signing. 

The article in The Sun is pretty much just a re-write of the story that went out yesterday in the Finnish press with the quotes from the owner.

It's possible I'm just a bit naive but I'd be surprised if we were at the interview stage and didn't have a ballpark idea of the compensation figure. Like, Simo's application's been in for a week and a half and we'd need KuPS' permission to speak to him it seems wild that no one on either side would have thought to at least broach the subject.

Edited by capt_oats