Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Blink182 said:

Malky Mackay has shown himself to be a racist, sexist, out of touch person on multiple occasions going by those texts/emails. That's not making a mistake that's a core personality trait. And that's only the texts we've seen I'm sure he'll have said countless more over and above. 

You don't need to have led an exemplary life to call out his behavior, and whilst people are due a second chance for me that person's second chance should not be at a community centric club like Motherwell FC. 

Well technically you do not believe in second chances if it comes with conditions. And arguably this is not a second chance as he has already been given that opportunity by Ross County and he has done very well in that job so far. 

Simply put I think he would be a good choice based on his abilities to manage and get the best out of a limited squad of players. Which is what we have at the moment.

Based on his past misdemeanours then I fully understand that many would not want to go down that road and I suspect that includes Burrows and the Board. So I doubt it would come to fruition and as far as we know we are not even in discussions with him. I very much doubt that he would not tell Uncle Roy and very much doubt that Uncle Roy would not have something to say publicly regarding compensation and not wanting him to leave etc etc. 

Edited by welldaft

25 minutes ago, dezz said:

Im Out GIF

100%

Tbh, I half-wonder if Josh Morris has held on to his receipt and looking at the small print of his contract given he's almost certainly here because of his previous with Alexander.

I mean, reading the statement about Dibble it's absolutely fair enough - the previous manager brought him in, circumstances have changed.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Well technically you do not believe in second chances if it comes with conditions.

That's not really true though, is it? The whole principle of rehabilitation in the UK is underpinned by the disclosure system where convictions for certain types of offences preclude employment in certain sectors. So someone covicted of fraud or theft would be allowed to re-enter the workforce after serving their sentence/paying their fine (their 'second chance') but would not be allowed to work in finance for example, or in posts where they were responsible for cash or budgets, even if they had worked in those kind of positions before.

I don't think it's a massive leap form there to say that Mackay is welcome to work in football in some capacity but that he would not be a suitable fit as a manager of a fan-owned community club like ours. That's not a contradiction.

Either way, it's a big red NO from me.

1 hour ago, Marinello said:

evidenced rehabilitation

[1] Citation needed. From memory it was "Blowing off steam", and "banter", rather than an actual apology.

I found it surreal that he got a gig at the SFA, I empathise with County fans fuming about it when appointed, I don't think I'll be going back to Fir Park if he's appointed. 

1 hour ago, DeadStar said:

Heard some rumblings about Mark Fotheringham... Thoughts?

He once bought his sister a horse and it ran around Fintry for a bit. 

Apparently.

Malky is on to a good thing at Ross County, all things considered. He is well backed by the chairman and, despite the initial furore, his strategy of completely avoiding the elephant in the room has worked.

Having said that, he will have seen from Goodwillie's move to Raith Rovers that it isn't as easy to launder your reputation through being good at your job as maybe it used to be. County have a mostly mild-mannered , ageing support and don't typically have the volume of people to stage an effective protest: a good environment for someone of his reputation to work in. I think he is aware of that and would have to choose his next job very carefully. 

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

What's interesting about this to me is that it means whoever is getting the job has a completely clean slate when it comes to coaching staff which is pretty unusual for us. For the most part the incoming manager has inherited staff - as it stands there are vacancies for assistant manager, first team coach and now goalkeeper coach.

Confirmed on the official.

What it tells me is that everything is done and dusted.

18 minutes ago, santheman said:

What it tells me is that everything is done and dusted.

Aye it has a heavy whiff of the new guy having his own ideas about coaches.

Can someone nearby check for white smoke coming out the FP chimney?

5 minutes ago, Al B said:

Aye it has a heavy whiff of the new guy having his own ideas about coaches.

Can someone nearby check for white smoke coming out the FP chimney?

For anyone looking, it's not in the main stand "due to its wooden construction".

I think we're gonna be pleasantly surprised as to who rocks up.

5 hours ago, eliphas said:

Re comments on Flow/McMahon and contract - More to do with the contract breaks/clauses being performance related. Clubs hands were tied in as much sacking in summer would have meant full compo or thereabouts. Exiting the Europa League and/or poor start to the league season would have gave them wiggle room. Alexander did a really come to them in the end and a deal was done. Should also be said, although both those guys lead the club and decisions, the whole board are involved in the decisions.

Your finger seems to be on the pulse with respect to Alexander’s contract intricacies. So would the full compo been in excess of a progression to Q3?

Let’s not kid ourselves, if Flao and McMahon approach the board with strong support for something, it’s gonna carry.

Someone flagged this on Steelmen but it's probably worth a mention.

That was Kerr talking in his post-match about "We've seen real attack minded, fast flowing football going forward and that's how we want, as a club here, our teams to be playing."

In and of itself it's a general platitude but given the post-Alexander messaging from Hammell and recently SOD about style it feels like it's something we're consciously leaning into. What that actually means or how it plays out IDK but it really feels like we're doing our best to distance ourselves as far as possible from Alexanderball.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, DeadStar said:

Heard some rumblings about Mark Fotheringham... Thoughts?

Where are you hearing said rumblings? Would not be surprised if it had surfaced somewhere after someone read this thread yesterday. I’d be relatively pleased with that I think given his coaching career so far, despite none of it being as a manager.

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

Reading between the lines and from the tweet from yesterday Valakari would require even greater compensation so not sure how that is a starter.

I stand to be corrected, but if Simo is as desperate for the gig as he appears to be he could resign from his current job. He’d receive no pay off from them but they’d receive no compo from us. That’s maybe over simplified but may be something he would need to consider to make it happen. 

10 minutes ago, stu92 said:

I stand to be corrected, but if Simo is as desperate for the gig as he appears to be he could resign from his current job. He’d receive no pay off from them but they’d receive no compo from us. That’s maybe over simplified but may be something he would need to consider to make it happen. 

I'm fairly certain that canny happen otherwise compensation would never be paid for any player or manager? 

There will be conditions of ending the contract with obligations on both parties. 

6 hours ago, eliphas said:

Re comments on Flow/McMahon and contract - More to do with the contract breaks/clauses being performance related. Clubs hands were tied in as much sacking in summer would have meant full compo or thereabouts. Exiting the Europa League and/or poor start to the league season would have gave them wiggle room. Alexander did a really come to them in the end and a deal was done. Should also be said, although both those guys lead the club and decisions, the whole board are involved in the decisions.

I don't really understand this. In what way would getting knocked out of Europe be likely to be contractually relevant to the sacking of a coach who took over a club bottom of the league?

Find that hard to believe. It's unlikely to have been in his contract that he can be binned if they get knocked out of ECL in the qualifiers. Agreeing to a clause like this would be allowing himself to be fired for being successful then losing one tie. Since they didn't play any other competitive games under him after finishing fifth in the league, this basically means he'd have had to agree to a clause that said 'if you're successful, you put yourself on a tightrope'.

Surely only plausible if Alexander has the world's worst agent.

Edited by VincentGuerin