Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Just when you think it can’t get any worse than Neil Lennon and Glacé cherries, along lumbers noted racist and arsehole Malky Mackay. That’s a proper, genuine, ‘Widnae be back’ shout. 

Edited by Swami

The more I think about it, the happier I'd be with the mystery box option.

Lambert and Thomson aren't bothered if they don't get then job - they just want a free advert showing they're available.

Folk credible enough to get to the last four and who feel secure enough in their status not to call the Sun straight after applying, or who would consider being being kb'd by Motherwell a blot on their reputation, are probably of a level we'd feel happier with.

Or so I'm telling myself anyway.

If Mackay is viewed solely in football terms his record is highly impressive. 

Re his 'baggage'  clearly this can't be minimised but surely his evidenced rehabilitation as per voluntarily undergoing a re education programme allows him some slack.

Also need to remember that for us the sun didn't fall out the sky when we signed Gallagher .

10 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye I maybe should have worded it less flippantly, I just meant artificial pitches in general rather than K-Park specifically. 

I feel like the club have read your post and just decided to boot you square in the balls for no reason.

5 minutes ago, Marinello said:

If Mackay is viewed solely in football terms his record is highly impressive. 

Re his 'baggage'  clearly this can't be minimised but surely his evidenced rehabilitation as per voluntarily undergoing a re education programme allows him some slack.

Also need to remember that for us the sun didn't fall out the sky when we signed Gallagher .

THIS...

Quite the opposite. After his 1st season Gallacher was lauded as our best player and a great signing.  Q a few saying well I never accepted him.  A man who assaulted someone with a baseball bat and served time in prison.

I respect everyone's views and I knew the mere mention of Mackay would prompt a response. What Mackay did was wrong. Plain and simple. I am sure everyone who is naysayer has led an exemplary life until now and made no mistakes. 

I don't know if it's a knock on from there not really being any betting markets outside of McBookie but it's been interesting that there have been few, if any, names linked/reported from the sort of managerial pool we've historically tended to look at ie: L1 in England - the McCall/Alexander sort of profile.

As much as some folk on here are clutching their pearls about the squad and what not I genuinely don't see that the job would be any less appealing now than any other time it's been vacant. Not least as we're only two games (of which we've won 1 and lost the other in the 94th minute) into the league season and there are still 3 weeks of the window open for a manager to do a bit of business.

Are those circumstances really any worse than being joint bottom of the table in January having been scudded 3-0 by Accies? Not for me, Clive.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, welldaft said:

It would appear to be almost exactly the same sadly. 

How did the young boys play tonight ? 

Basically, they actually played pretty well apart from the first and last minute.

But in both of those times, they let themselves down and Conceded 2 goals. It's a shame since they were pretty dominant in the second half but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, welldaft said:

THIS...

Quite the opposite. After his 1st season Gallacher was lauded as our best player and a great signing.  Q a few saying well I never accepted him.  A man who assaulted someone with a baseball bat and served time in prison.

I respect everyone's views and I knew the mere mention of Mackay would prompt a response. What Mackay did was wrong. Plain and simple. I am sure everyone who is naysayer has led an exemplary life until now and made no mistakes. 

Malky Mackay has shown himself to be a racist, sexist, out of touch person on multiple occasions going by those texts/emails. That's not making a mistake that's a core personality trait. And that's only the texts we've seen I'm sure he'll have said countless more over and above. 

You don't need to have led an exemplary life to call out his behavior, and whilst people are due a second chance for me that person's second chance should not be at a community centric club like Motherwell FC. 

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

THIS...

There's a difference between signing a player with Gallagher's baggage and what a management role represents.

By Burrows own admission part of the job brief is "representing the club, having the same mentality and ethos that we do about our community and our supporters. Someone who can lead, someone who can inspire".

It'd take a hard neck to preach that then wheel out a racist, sexist anti-Semite as your new manager.

Edited by capt_oats

35 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

Malky Mackay has shown himself to be a racist, sexist, out of touch person on multiple occasions going by those texts/emails. That's not making a mistake that's a core personality trait. And that's only the texts we've seen I'm sure he'll have said countless more over and above. 

You don't need to have led an exemplary life to call out his behavior, and whilst people are due a second chance for me that person's second chance should not be at a community centric club like Motherwell FC. 

I think it would be bizarre if we tried to get Malky the racist - especially as it was mentioned at the AGM how central to the future direction the whole “ethical community club” thing was in terms of reaching beyond our current fan base. 

This is hard for me to say but I’d rather have Alex McLeish back (and hand him a big transfer budget) than Malky McKay. 

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

LOLZ

Brilliant.

Part of me says if our top-flight time has to be up, let's implode properly rather than being relegated by a couple of points or the playoff. Appoint Lennon. Let's have one win at Xmas and struggle to reach double figures. Sack Lennon. Burns bridges and go down with bodies everywhere.

After 37 years it's the only way to go.

46 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

I wouldn't want him, but we wouldn't exactly be his second chance. He's had several jobs since then, in which his conduct has been uncontroversial to the best of my knowledge.

18 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Brilliant.

Part of me says if our top-flight time has to be up, let's implode properly rather than being relegated by a couple of points or the playoff. Appoint Lennon. Let's have one win at Xmas and struggle to reach double figures. Sack Lennon. Burns bridges and go down with bodies everywhere.

After 37 years it's the only way to go.

What's interesting about this to me is that it means whoever is getting the job has a completely clean slate when it comes to coaching staff which is pretty unusual for us. For the most part the incoming manager has inherited staff - as it stands there are vacancies for assistant manager, first team coach and now goalkeeper coach.

Confirmed on the official.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, Gallus Numpty said:

I wouldn't want him, but we wouldn't exactly be his second chance. He's had several jobs since then, in which his conduct has been uncontroversial to the best of my knowledge.

The trouble with a scandal which is not a mistake but a personality thing is his public conduct is no indication of whether he has indeed learned the error of his ways. Maybe he has become a better person. Maybe he's still the same p***k he was before but with the sense not to write things down.

I would - very, very grudgingly - trust the club of they thought he'd reformed and was now the man for us but I and countless others would be far from happy. And with that in mind, kmi just don't see us taking that risk - AB himself implied on Twitter (in a Goodwillie context maybe?) we wouldn't be signing anyone with heavy baggage and I'd be amazed if we change that policy for Mackay.