Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 minutes ago, Desp said:

Had an Empire biscuit with my cup of tea tonight. Sensational. 

I know I started this debate but its way down my list. Traditional Scottish bakeries are awful. Roll n' cream in a kinda stale bun. hotdog roll with cream again and raspberry sauce swiggled down the middle .... just shite. Only thing of merit is millionaires shortbread, which when you think about it is a Twix and a helluva lot cheaper than £1.50 from Aulds.

Guess some of you boys will be wanting a square go?

23 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

I know I started this debate but its way down my list. Traditional Scottish bakeries are awful. Roll n' cream in a kinda stale bun. hotdog roll with cream again and raspberry sauce swiggled down the middle .... just shite. Only thing of merit is millionaires shortbread, which when you think about it is a Twix and a helluva lot cheaper than £1.50 from Aulds.

Guess some of you boys will be wanting a square go?

Possibly controversial to some, but I would add Yum Yums to the list of shte baked fayre. Not entirely sure if the origins are Scottish or not but they're just heavy, stodgy, over sugared shite.

On the side issue of the new manager, I'm hoping the mystery box guy turns out to be some unexpected and inspired appointment because, as it stands, I think it's too early for Hammell, and although he was a fans favourite back in the day, taking off the sentimental and nostalgia specs, the 30 years that Valakari has been away from our game renders him a massive gamble.

I've never once seen him linked to any other British club than us, and it feels to me that although i don't doubt he still has an affinity with us being the team he broke through here with, he sees us as his one way into a job on these shores. Just feels a bit contrived and desperate when he throws his hat straight in the ring every time. I'd obviously get behind him if he got it, but I'm not at all convinced he's our guy.

Edited by 'WellDel
Typo

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

So the kids can lose goals in the 94th minute too. Like Father like Son……

Down to 10 men so probably tough to hold out over ET. 

Our own website would have you believe we have played well. 

Don't be too hard on your b team tonight. Motherwell absolutely had us under the cosh the whole of the second half and for want of some better finishing would have seen Motherwell win.

I was surprised at the attitude of Motherwell though when they got the equaliser, thought they'd have went for the kill but seemed to be content to run down the clock to their obvious detriment.

A great goal for us to win the game but a boot in the baws if you're on the recieving end of a last minute goal like that. 

Motherwell were a strong physical side with lots of things to be positive about.

As an EK fan I'm more than happy to have seen us beat hearts Celtic and Motherwell in the past 2 weeks 

15 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

HOW VERY DARE YOU

133324421_YYpPodSsh3v8ndsIKqNNPHpqNT8k8.gif.6eea8e784d337a1a68641f0ed7f04272.gif

I remember passing this place regularly in my old job when I used to deliver to Minick's down the road. Next time I'm through Cupar I'll be sure to try it, I'll take some convincing though, almost as much as I would to believe that Simo is the answer to our managerial prayers.

I barely recognise any of the B tean players so spent half the game just watching Tierney and was a bit disappointed tbh. I've been a big proponent of his since signing but tonight was pretty similar to most of his first team starts in that there were a few nice touches but the game seemed to pass him by for the most part.

I don't want to jump to conclusions based on a Challenge Cup game on a shite surface but that was my main take home.

Back on manager chat. Hard no on Simo from me, only reason he's getting a look in is he once wore the C&A. Find it hard to believe we're in a position to pay compo on top of compo for Alexander and his No. 2 to walk. That is unless Flao's get out of jail free clauses added in January were watertight. I would have assumed we're in the free agent/golfing category. Also if he's got his head screwed on he'd have phoned Ojala, asked him for the lowdown and given a frank heads up on what he'd be getting himself into.

A lot of things have surfaced in the past week on top of all the other stuff we kinda but didn't kinda know. I don't think the Flao/McMahon has covered themselves in glory with how the last few months have transpired. Alexander got a reprieve down to Lamie's napper. Fair enough, but we withheld transfer funds which tells us an earlyish Alexander departure was inevitable, they were just looking for the justification. That reeks of being governed by how you are perceived over what is in the best interests of the club. It was a fait accompli he was going, it was just a matter of when. There could have been a legitimate rationale that his character and style was affecting squad cohesion to get him out after the season ended. But to prove we're not a firing club we go into Sligo hobbled .... £350k in the bank but missing out on another easy £350k is quite a price to pay to make that point.

But let's not make too much of this, the starting eleven were by and large the same who mustered over 30 points in the first half of last season. We had enough in the tank to slot them away. Only Tony was missing ...... ahhh Tony.

Bets on Flao staring at the phone would ring from a club looking to permission to speak to him from mid May till mid July? I'd say pretty high.

However all of the above tells me that Flao probably has had a constantly evolving list from mid-March. Full of character breakdowns, stats, pro's and con's. I expect it to be pretty meticulous. The issue is they won't know if many on it will welcome our approach or not until we were in a position to do so 12 days ago.

I guess and hope the two secret names in the pot are of such calibre that it merits radio silence. Without knowing any names I'd be totally up for a seasoned No.2 with exposure to high end training regimes, standards and expectations looking for to step out of the shadow and make a name for themselves. Michael Beale is that sort of guy, at Ibrox it was said he was the guy who had them ticking. He's ended up at QPR as a result.

Some may look for a manager who's here for the long term, improvements year on year. I think we shouldn't ask from our manager what we've came to accept from our players. If we get someone and they're being head hunted next summer then there will be a reason for it and it won't be Championship football.

Is it too much to ask for someone to emulate McGhee's preseason, McCall's momentum, Craig and Archie's getting a run going with a load of pish and Gannon's nouse/luck in the transfer market. Also 3x +£1m academy graduates would be nice.

Edited by Kapowzer

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I barely recognise any of the B tean players so spent half the game just watching Tierney and was a bit disappointed tbh. I've been a big proponent of his since signing but tonight was pretty similar to most of his first team starts in that there were a few nice touches but the game seemed to pass him by for the most part.

I don't want to jump to conclusions based on a Challenge Cup game on a shite surface but that was my main take home.

Shite surface 😂😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Back on manager chat. Hard no on Simo from me, only reason he's getting a look in is he once wore the C&A. Find it hard to believe we're in a position to pay compo on top of compo for Alexander and his No. 2 to walk. That is unless Flao's get out of jail free clauses added in January were watertight. I would have assumed we're in the free agent/golfing category. Also if he's got his head screwed on he'd have phoned Ojala, asked him for the lowdown and given a frank heads up on what he'd be getting himself into.

A lot of things have surfaced in the past week on top of all the other stuff we kinda but didn't kinda know. I don't think the Flao/McMahon has covered themselves in glory with how the last few months have transpired. Alexander got a reprieve down to Lamie's napper. Fair enough, but we withheld transfer funds which tells us an earlyish Alexander departure was inevitable, they were just looking for the justification. That reeks of being governed by how you are perceived over what is in the best interests of the club. It was a fait accompli he was going, it was just a matter of when. There could have been a legitimate rationale that his character and style was affecting squad cohesion to get him out after the season ended. But to prove we're not a firing club we go into Sligo hobbled .... £350k in the bank but missing out on another easy £350k is quite a price to pay to make that point.

But let's not make too much of this, the starting eleven were by and large the same who mustered over 30 points in the first half of last season. We had enough in the tank to slot them away. Only Tony was missing ...... ahhh Tony.

Bets on Flao staring at the phone would ring from a club looking to permission to speak to him from mid May till mid July? I'd say pretty high.

However all of the above tells me that Flao probably has had a constantly evolving list from mid-March. Full of character breakdowns, stats, pro's and con's. I expect it to be pretty meticulous. The issue is they won't know if many on it will welcome our approach or not until we were in a position to do so 12 days ago.

I guess and hope the two secret names in the pot are of such calibre that it merits radio silence. Without knowing any names I'd be totally up for a seasoned No.2 with exposure to high end training regimes, standards and expectations looking for to step out of the shadow and make a name for themselves. Michael Beale is that sort of guy, at Ibrox it was said he was the guy who had them ticking. He's ended up at QPR as a result.

Some may look for a manager who's here for the long term, improvements year on year. I think we shouldn't ask from our manager what we've came to accept from our players. If we get someone and they're being head hunted next summer then there will be a reason for it and it won't be Championship football.

Is it too much to ask for someone to emulate McGhee's preseason, McCall's momentum, Craig and Archie's getting a run going with a load of pish and Gannon's nouse/luck in the transfer market. Also 3x +£1m academy graduates would be nice.

Re comments on Flow/McMahon and contract - More to do with the contract breaks/clauses being performance related. Clubs hands were tied in as much sacking in summer would have meant full compo or thereabouts. Exiting the Europa League and/or poor start to the league season would have gave them wiggle room. Alexander did a really come to them in the end and a deal was done. Should also be said, although both those guys lead the club and decisions, the whole board are involved in the decisions.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Scott Burns today saying still four on the list, the mystery two aren't Thomson, Lambert or Duncan Ferguson.

someone at K park last night, involved in the club in some capacity, mentioned that Malky Mckay is possibly one of the options. 

I have no idea  who the guy is btw, and all he said was that it was a rumour going around fir park. Not claiming anything solid here at all.

anyway, the game last night. RE Tierney, showed flashes of what he is capable off, Particularly in the second half, managed to get on the half turn and drive at them, won the penalty and hit the post with a free kick. It was a very physical game, but he put himself about quite happily.

Kian Spiers and Adam Mcdonald were the stand outs, very tidy players, both physically up to it against older boys.

Ferrie up top, looks very quick, when he got the ball at his feet he looked dangerous, in the air though he was up against 2x two big central defenders so will definitely need to work on that side of things.

Definitely a few to watch out for. 

Also good to see Hammell, Burrows, Cornelius and Max Johnston along to watch. Assuming the latter is injured atm, otherwise he would have played.

28 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

someone at K park last night, involved in the club in some capacity, mentioned that Malky Mckay is possibly one of the options. 

I have no idea  who the guy is btw, and all he said was that it was a rumour going around fir park. Not claiming anything solid here at all.

anyway, the game last night. RE Tierney, showed flashes of what he is capable off, Particularly in the second half, managed to get on the half turn and drive at them, won the penalty and hit the post with a free kick. It was a very physical game, but he put himself about quite happily.

Kian Spiers and Adam Mcdonald were the stand outs, very tidy players, both physically up to it against older boys.

Ferrie up top, looks very quick, when he got the ball at his feet he looked dangerous, in the air though he was up against 2x two big central defenders so will definitely need to work on that side of things.

Definitely a few to watch out for. 

Also good to see Hammell, Burrows, Cornelius and Max Johnston along to watch. Assuming the latter is injured atm, otherwise he would have played.

Thanks for the update / summary. Glad to read a more positive appraisal of Tierney. High hopes for him based on the fact we paid a fee and other clubs were supposedly sniffing about. As I felt he was underwhelming when he came on Saturday. 

As to the Manager situation I said yesterday I would like Mackay but I did not think that was likely. Compensation would need to be paid and again he probably has a bigger budget at Ross County.  Plus would he do the dirty on County after they gave him the opportunity that many including their own fans did not want him to get ! That said we are a marginally bigger club in terms of fan base and more so in terms of history etc and it could be seen as another stepping stone on his redemption arc. He has done a good job at County. Still doubtful imho.

Reading between the lines and from the tweet from yesterday Valakari would require even greater compensation so not sure how that is a starter. That said St Mirren were prepared to pay £100k for Robbo. £200k for a proven Manager would be a lot less than what we would lose through relegation. 

Still doubt an appointment will be made before Aberdeen game. Even if it is I doubt the new Manager would lead the team unless the new Manager is Hammell. 

Edited by welldaft