Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

So Kevin Fotheringham then 🤔

Someone mentioned Fotheringham to me the other day, and I remember reading an article on the BBC about him a few weeks ago. I went back for a look there.

So what does the future hold for Fotheringham? The former Livingston and Ross County midfielder doesn't hide his ambition be a manager - in fact, it's a given in his eyes.

Where that would be, however, depends on the club having the correct structure in place, something he has learned to value immensely in Germany.

One thing for certain, though, is Fotheringham wants to eventually showcase back in his homeland what he's learned throughout his "apprenticeship".

"I'm born to be a manager," he says. "I'm learning from one of the best in the world. I would love to bring this style back home. I think you could be really successful with it if you got backing and had a good group willing to buy into it.

"But financially and professionally, it would be very hard for me to go back to a Scottish club. My target is to keep improving, but if the chance arose at the right club at the right time then I'll look at all my options."

He ticks a few boxes in that nobody has really considered him so far and he fits in the Graham Potter bucket, although it doesn't sound that he would be keen on coming back to Scotland. Having said that, I can't see him landing a Bundesliga gig having never managed anywhere before so his view may have changed since the article was written.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Being objective about it our options as reported are:

• Hammell - club legend with zero managerial experience whose role at the club until now has been largely strategic.
  • Valakari - former fan favourite with 300+ games in his management career (avg: 1.78 PPG), 1 league championship and 3 cup wins in Finland whose side are currently top of the league and playing a European qualifier this week.
  • Mystery box - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMO, we are in one of those pivotal moments that have characterised our long stay in the top flight as we going into one of those semi-regular seasons where we're not Top 6/Europe or mid-table obscurity but are pretty likely to be in the mix at the bottom of the table for much of the season.

We've survived more of these situations than literally any other team and so there is no need to overplay it or panic but I'm not currently convinced that a short list of Hammy, Simo + AN Other (regardless of my fondness for the first two on the list) is necessarily what we need given what's ahead.

If it comes down to it, Simo would seem the logical choice between Hammy and him simply as he's got a substantial management career behind him already and we should never be a first job for anyone no matter their brilliant service to the club.

That being the case - box 3 better be fucking amazing as I'm not convinced that Simo is the right candidate either given the logistical difficulties of getting him and the fact that his knowledge of Finnish football will likely be rendered near useless as the chances of us bringing in lots of Finnish players will be fucked by Brexit.

He ticks a few boxes in that nobody has really considered him so far and he fits in the Graham Potter bucket, although it doesn't sound that he would be keen on coming back to Scotland. Having said that, I can't see him landing a Bundesliga gig having never managed anywhere before so his view may have changed since the article was written.
Someone mentioned Fotheringham to me and, while I don't place much stock in his opinion, Alan Preston was singing his praises and recommending him for the job on Radio Scotland after Alexander got sacked. That probably just means he's his agent though.

I was fully on board with either Paul Lambert or Duncan Ferguson. Given that neither of them are contracted anywhere it would appear that neither are in the running.

I can see why folk are enthusiastic about the prospect of Simo but something about it just gives me the fear. I think too many changes would be required in a short space of time for him to be a success. Something which just doesn't seem possible with the shitshow Alexander has left behind.

28 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I can see why folk are enthusiastic about the prospect of Simo but something about it just gives me the fear. I think too many changes would be required in a short space of time for him to be a success. Something which just doesn't seem possible with the shitshow Alexander has left behind.

I'm in favour of Simo but very much relatively so to the seemingly realistic alternatives - I don't think anyone backing him is massively aboard the bus, everyone is aware there are massive risks.

Depending on mystery candidate three I'd have no trouble ditching him as my preference at all.

It's a shame the interviews are on zoom tomorrow, means no sightings in Upper Crust etc. No doubt it'll emerge eventually.

4 hours ago, DeadStar said:

Just me that calls this a joob joob? I thought it was a Lanarkshire thing...

It's only the lads out "Oor Wullie" that call them that.

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

What was Simo like as a player? 4 years, 30 odd caps and off to Premiership team suggests he's a few levels above anyone we could attract right now.

Great player. Shite at shooting.

I stuck a tenner on him a week and a half ago at 10s. So bring him home.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

IMO, we are in one of those pivotal moments that have characterised our long stay in the top flight as we going into one of those semi-regular seasons where we're not Top 6/Europe or mid-table obscurity but are pretty likely to be in the mix at the bottom of the table for much of the season.

We've survived more of these situations than literally any other team and so there is no need to overplay it or panic but I'm not currently convinced that a short list of Hammy, Simo + AN Other (regardless of my fondness for the first two on the list) is necessarily what we need given what's ahead.

If it comes down to it, Simo would seem the logical choice between Hammy and him simply as he's got a substantial management career behind him already and we should never be a first job for anyone no matter their brilliant service to the club.

That being the case - box 3 better be fucking amazing as I'm not convinced that Simo is the right candidate either given the logistical difficulties of getting him and the fact that his knowledge of Finnish football will likely be rendered near useless as the chances of us bringing in lots of Finnish players will be fucked by Brexit.

Aye.

Like, I've generally got implicit trust in Burrows/the board to make the right decisions but there's something about this one that feels like there's a chance we're going to do something really, really fucking dumb.

Which is a worry tbqh.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Pretty much my exact feelings on the matter.

Quite underwhelmed if we only have a shortlist of 3 people we are interviewing and two of them are Simo and Stevie.  You wonder what happens to the usual “we have been inundated with applications” statements that usually follow every managerial departure. Would there literally be none of those of interest ? Find that hard to believe. 

I was a fan of Simo when he was our player but I have a gut feeling it may end in tears. It always does of course but I mean pretty quickly. No obvious reason for this and his managerial record looks semi decent. I do think Stevie has done OK last two games. You can see obvious signs of improvement especially 2nd half at the weekend. I am certainly not going to blame him for the comic cuts defending for the late winner. If it was a choice of the two I would opt for Stevie. You imagine he would be easy to deal with. Along the lines of take the gig and see what transpires over next few months. If it is a success and we stay away from bottom 2 spots he gets a longer deal. If it does not work he could go back to the Academy and we get a new Manager in during break for the World Cup. 

Would we have approached the contracted Manager or him us ? In all honesty if those are the options I would rather we went for Malky Mackay. Doubt he would join us as he probably has a bigger budget at Ross County. I also expect a lot of naysayers given his background but…..if we can employ someone who served time in prison for a serious assault 🤷‍♂️

Edited by welldaft