Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If he comes offering empire biscuits with jelly tots on them (as is correct), he's got the job.

Back to Finland if they have glace cherries on them.

What was Simo like as a player? 4 years, 30 odd caps and off to Premiership team suggests he's a few levels above anyone we could attract right now.
I can't remember. I probably saw every one of his games in the flesh, but was mainly looking at Tommy Coyne.

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

What was Simo like as a player? 4 years, 30 odd caps and off to Premiership team suggests he's a few levels above anyone we could attract right now.

Very solid as what I guess we'd now call a defensive midfielder or six. Strong tackler and made simple passes to others to do the football.

Famously never scored for us and from what I remember he was never even close either...then pinged one in from distance early in his Derby career but I think that was it. 

7 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

There's still a dent in the bit that hangs down on the Davie Cooper Stand roof from all the shots at goal he attempted.

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Very solid as what I guess we'd now call a defensive midfielder or six. Strong tackler and made simple passes to others to do the football.

Famously never scored for us and from what I remember he was never even close either...then pinged one in from distance early in his Derby career but I think that was it. 

Fairly sure it was his debut but yeah, exactly as you say, an absolutely solid midfielder, my main memory is the big blue screen that was fired up between the south and the main and then taken down shortly after his departure. 

Being objective about it our options as reported are:

• Hammell - club legend with zero managerial experience whose role at the club until now has been largely strategic.
  • Valakari - former fan favourite with 300+ games in his management career (avg: 1.78 PPG), 1 league championship and 3 cup wins in Finland whose side are currently top of the league and playing a European qualifier this week.
  • Mystery box - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edited by capt_oats

I reckon we're only considering the obvious two and the mystery box is just a gift from the board to let us gossip for a day.

But if it's a genuine option, on the basis we just don't pay for managers, you need to assume it's either a youth or assistant coach - McManus? O'Dea? - or someone who has a modest get-out clause to a club like ours, which puts a fair limit at their current level. And I really don't think we'd chuck it to someone untested unless it's an insider like Hammell.

Would Coyle want the option to escape Queen's Park should a top-flight club call? Would Derek Adams consider the Alexander approach, bored of lower leagues so wanting another go at 'cups and Europe'? Billy Dodds? A complete outsider from abroad - ie a Simo with no previous club connection hence not picked up?

I still find it impossible to think we'd seriously consider going back for Robinson so soon, even if St Mirren were up for it.

There's also the obvious question to ask of how come our new best friend in Helsinki can claim to know more about the process than Burns, Mullen et al...who I imagine are having a challenging conversation with their bosses around now.

Edited by Handsome_Devil