Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Paul Lambert gives me the fear more than Simo or Hammell, Hammell I disregarded initially but after his two games I rated how he identified issues and made change needed for the Saint  Johnstone game in the second half. It’s just whether he’s up for senior management at this point of time but I can’t see why he’s not as good as say Alex Neil when he first started or have a mad season like Davidson, impossible to identify how good a manager will be in their first club job. 

Got major FOMO regarding Simo and by all accounts in Finland he’s a decent manager and highly regarded over there.  I’m ready for us to take a punt. 3rd application (allegedly) lucky.

We’re well overdue the slip, give it to Simo for the fresh ideas and let’s see what happens. 

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

We made more passes on Saturday than we did in any game last season.

Was about to post and thank the admin for the stats but this really does speak to Hammell's point about "it'll take time" - better pass accuracy seems a relevant point too up 10% from last week.

Even in the St Mirren game last week we made (marginally) more passes than the opposition.

FZfWwNPXkAgTbDw?format=jpg&name=medium
FZAe0pDWYAAxj4W?format=jpg&name=medium

An increase of 8% passing accuracy over two games. If I know anything about graphs and statistics and trajectories then we'll have 100% passing accuracy by the Inverness game at the end of August. We'll also get beat 10-1. 

Wasn't Mixu Paatelainen in charge of Killie when Alexei Eremenko made Connor Sammon look like Lewandowski for a season?  Not that Killie were particularly successful at that point, but you'd call it a decent job. They were a good side then.  Mixu made a Noel Hunt of his time at Tannadice, however.
If Simo gets it now, it probably shows how poor the level of applicant has been, given how many times he's been overlooked before.  I'd assume we'll have a better idea of the shortlist by the middle of this week.  I would also assume Hammell will be in charge for Saturday again, because even if the new man gets appointed Thurs/Fri, I would imagine they'll be giving the idea of their first game being Aberdeen away a massive swerve.  
Paatelainen did come to mind but more for his time at Hibs and Dundee United which were underwhelming at best and shambolic at worst. He did okay at Killie but I suspect much of that was down to Eremenko who was a class above everyone outwith the Old Firm.

In terms of the management candidates it's probably worth taking into account the brief for the job that Burrows outlined the other week which was essentially:

• win games (duh)
  • develop players
  • work alongside the club to develop their management career
  • relentlessly improve people's lives (be on the same page as the club in terms of community and engagement. "Someone who can lead, someone who can inspire")

There are pros and cons with all the options.

• Hammell has his badges but is inexperienced and has been Academy Head rather than necessarily coaching but seems committed to a style of play and has been in and around the club to be aware of the issues.
  • Simo's never managed in Scotland but has 300+ games as a manager and experience of coaching and implementing his style of football - whether that translates to Scottish football and the squad he has at his disposal is a different question. The main difference compared to his previous applications is really the timing - we're not deep into the season.
  • Lambert's clearly experienced, coached at a high level and has the profile of a European Cup winner and international footballer and I'd imagine he'd be likely to be more 'pragmatic' but we'd be his 10th club and there's probably a question of how 'motivated' he'd be to manage Motherwell.

Beyond the chat amongst fans on Twitter there's been nothing concrete about Duncan Ferguson AFAIK but since his name's mentioned a couple of posts above arguably he fits (roughly) the sort of candidate profile Burrows was outlining more than any of the others: he left Everton last month because he's looking to manage so is presumably motivated for a management role, while he only has a handful of games as caretaker to his name he's been on a coaching staff with some genuinely exceptional managers (and presumably managed Everton's academy sides), he has experience in academy football and as a 'personality' he feels like the sort of character that could get the fans onside.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Beyond the chat amongst fans on Twitter there's been nothing concrete about Duncan Ferguson AFAIK but since his name's mentioned a couple of posts above arguably he fits (roughly) the sort of candidate profile Burrows was outlining more than any of the others: he left Everton last month because he's looking to manage so is presumably motivated for a management role, while he only has a handful of games as caretaker to his name he's been on a coaching staff with some genuinely exceptional managers (and presumably managed Everton's academy sides), he has experience in academy football and as a 'personality' he feels like the sort of character that could get the fans onside.

“Build me one of these below the Sky Sports scaffold and I’m yer man”

image.thumb.jpeg.fd03c2442261b2c7fc45d42b53787fd0.jpeg

4 hours ago, Desp said:

Wasn't Mixu Paatelainen in charge of Killie ...

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Paatelainen did come to mind

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I had to Google his career.  I have absolutely no memory of Mixu managing Hibs.  

His current team are currently adrift at the bottom of the Veikkausliiga

I know it's already been discussed on here but that SOD interview is interesting, not in so much that he's confirming the fall out with Alexander or that he's saying signing players is more of a priority than the manager but rather his emphasis on a 'style of play' and signing "good" players who "fit a profile" in order to help change.

"But the recruitment is probably more important right now. You can sign good players if you have a style of play.

“The fans weren’t happy with the previous style and if you want to change that you need to bring in players who fit a profile."

Link

41 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I know it's already been discussed on here but that SOD interview is interesting, not in so much that he's confirming the fall out with Alexander or that he's saying signing players is more of a priority than the manager but rather his emphasis on a 'style of play' and signing "good" players who "fit a profile" in order to help change.

I mean I'm not surprised he's hating the style of play. Alexander seemed hell bent on telling SOD not to do anything he's at all good at. If he went past the halfway line you could practically see the veins pop out of his head.