Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I wasn’t there, I will at some point this week sit down and watch the 90 minutes.  I did however see their winner. A lob to the edge of the box and Sol heads it backwards into the box so that St Johnstone could complete their attack.  Did I see that right?

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

I wasn’t there, I will at some point this week sit down and watch the 90 minutes.  I did however see their winner. A lob to the edge of the box and Sol heads it backwards into the box so that St Johnstone could complete their attack.  Did I see that right?

Why? 

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

So that I can understand the wise words of those of you who witnessed the crime, and I can join in.  It may be Wednesday or Thursday before I am ready,

I'd watch anything with James Corden, Dirty Dancing, Cricket, Love Island or a even snuff movie before a rerun of that.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/stephen-odonnell-opens-up-graham-27681866

Not exactly putting the boot in but certainly colours to the mast etc.

As someone in a group chat said, falling out with SOD - a career long solid pro - looks incredibly bad management regardless of the details.

Also interesting is just how explicit Hammell and now SOD are about the need for new players. Usually those within the group are a bit more diplomatic but you don't have to read much between the lines here to draw a conclusion that even those people think we're fucked.

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/stephen-odonnell-opens-up-graham-27681866

Not exactly putting the boot in but certainly colours to the mast etc.

As someone in a group chat said, falling out with SOD - a career long solid pro - looks incredibly bad management regardless of the details.

Also interesting is just how explicit Hammell and now SOD are about the need for new players. Usually those within the group are a bit more diplomatic but you don't have to read much between the lines here to draw a conclusion that even those people think we're fucked.

“No one didn’t not want to do well for the last manager”

You can’t say fairer than that.

12 hours ago, CoF said:

Sportsound yesterday saying 4 candidates have been selected for interview next week, with the only known names being Hammell and Valakari. 

Hammell wouldn’t be my first choice due to a) lack of experience, b) his work to date with the academy, and c) the possibility of a club legend being in charge when we get relegated. Having said that, I’d still be more interested in him getting the job than a Tommy Wright, etc.

Having said that, I wonder how much of his inclusion on the shortlist is due to being a serious candidate and how much of it is due to being associated with the club/caretaker/already in the building. Hammy may very well be a good coach, but it never felt to me that Lasley was ever a serious candidate any time he was in the mix. 

8 minutes ago, stu92 said:

Having said that, I wonder how much of his inclusion on the shortlist is due to being a serious candidate and how much of it is due to being associated with the club/caretaker/already in the building. Hammy may very well be a good coach, but it never felt to me that Lasley was ever a serious candidate any time he was in the mix. 

Possibly. Agree on Lasley, it seemed the polite thing rather than a serious consideration.

A lot might depend on Hammell, how genuinely he wants to move on from the academy - which while hugely important is obviously a million miles away from the glory of first team manager.

I wonder if a compromise might be considered if we appoint Simo or someone from England now we've established that two assistants are fine - they can pick one of their choice but have to take Hammell as the other. The new man would have no trouble selling it at the press conference - delighted to have him as he knows the Scottish game in general and club inside out etc - Hammell would get a promotion of sorts and do the day to day with the first team with a view to him replacing Simo/guy from England when they move on in a couple of years. 

Didn't work with Lasley ofc...big caveat is the moving on has to be with us in a solid place rather than a crisis and that's increasingly rare in the last decades.

2 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

Any idea/rumours about who the other two are on the shortlist?

Hammy, Simo and…?

Lambert given his 'come and get me plea' arguably merits an interview even if you're not 100% convinced by him.

The fourth I've no idea. Would we even bother talking to a Kevin Thomson sort? You would hope it someone credible from England who is serious enough in their stature and interest they've not phoned the Sun 10 seconds after applying but I'm buggered if I know who that might be.

34 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Lambert given his 'come and get me plea' arguably merits an interview even if you're not 100% convinced by him.

The fourth I've no idea. Would we even bother talking to a Kevin Thomson sort? You would hope it someone credible from England who is serious enough in their stature and interest they've not phoned the Sun 10 seconds after applying but I'm buggered if I know who that might be.

Scott Burns' Express piece last week suggested that there were a few options that we wanted to "sound out" which gave the impression that we had at least one candidate in mind who may not apply but we'd like to speak to.

Of the options so far ie: Hammell, Valakari and potentially Lambert none of them really fit the profile of manager we've gone with in recent years, not least that all 3 are former players.

Given it took Burnley an age to get Vincent fucking Kompany a visa/work permit it makes me wonder how long that process would take for Valakari given the increasing emphasis being put on the need for finishing off recruitment.

You'd think we'd want whoever gets the job to be able to get their feet under the desk stat.

Edited by capt_oats

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Scott Burns' Express piece last week suggested that there were a few options that we wanted to "sound out" which gave the impression that we had at least one candidate in mind who may not apply but we'd like to speak to.

Of the options so far ie: Hammell, Valakari and potentially Lambert none of them really fit the profile of manager we've gone with in recent years, not least that all 3 are former players.

Given it took Burnley an age to get Vincent fucking Kompany a visa/work permit it makes me wonder how long that process would take for Valakari given the increasing emphasis being put on the need for finishing off recruitment.

You'd think we'd want whoever gets the job to be able to get their feet under the desk stat.

Good point on Simo and the profiles.

But even if we were the ones making the first move, I find it surprising there hasn't been a whisper of it in the press. 

If you assume we're highly unlikely to pay compensation (except perhaps if Simo has a modest UK release clause) that leaves unemployed folk and there don't seem to be that many of them who are viable either according to transfermarkt...Darren Ferguson? Nigel Adkins? A younger guy who has failed in an early job such as Woodgate/Bowyer would surely be a massive punt.