Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think a saving grace is after 16 fixtures and mid November, there's the long break of no matches for a month.

That period is going to be key for getting a new managers system full integrated into the team and get them to perfect fitness for the restart. Hopefully recruitment starts early as soon as that break hits, so boys are ready to sign and be in on Jan 1st, maybe even have done some training sessions with us before officially being unveiled and straight in for Livy on the 2nd Jan.

It might be a horrible first half of the season and require a good bit of patience but if we can stay within distance, the World Cup break could be the thing that saves our season from being a complete nightmare.

Anyone here know who exactly it is that "lives inside a camel?" The Bois are not always at peak elocution, at least as much as my ears can make out.

As far as the game goes, meh. Remember how people want a better style in a results driven business? Today seemed to be heading that way. Seemed a lot less highballs to space/no-one today. Dare I say it, we even strung some passes together on the ground!* Of course there were limitations; it's been a week, and the players are not suddenly Messi-in-disguise. But it was encouraging I thought at the time. At least, better than January-May. Still lost though.

* 8hrs and 4 cans of lidl gin later, not watched the highlights/BBC ALBA showing back yet.

3 minutes ago, AnderooMFC said:

Deafness confirmed. Who, though?

It's a throwback to old Scotland songs I am sure.

Posh spice is a slapper
She spits just like a camel
and when she's shagging beckham
She thinks of Stevie Hammell.

8 hours ago, welldaft said:

Please tell me in your infinite wisdom who should have been MOM. Then we can all agree, because clearly what you say is to go unchallenged as you are the wise one amongst our support. 

I can be condescending at times. I know that but you take it to a different level 🙈

Honestly? It’s a difference of opinion & not expected to go unchallenged. Nobody proclaiming wisdom and your claim to the contrary is churlish at best.

MOTM? It’s not a favoured subject but, for me it was Goss. Was unsure in the thinking of moving him inside but, that was the platform for control of the second half aided by adding energy from Cornelius.

Thoughts on McGinn? Painfully slow, not the strong nor reliable defender he’s been made out as & has offered nothing going forward. He does though suit the instruction to shell the ball forward that O’Donnell disagreed with. Recruitment team played a blinder trailing this one since January…

That was a strange match in that I was hugely annoyed to lose it so late, but overall came away feeling slightly positive about the season. The team needs work, there's no doubt about that, but there were signs yesterday that we are capable of more.

Goss was definitely the pick of the bunch for me. Constantly involved and always looking for a pass, although often having to go sideways due to a lack of movement ahead of him. Maguire had a slow start but grew into the game and started to do some neat stuff in the middle to win and retain possession. I'm still concerned about the amount of time he seems to need though. Not sure he has the quick decision making needed to survive in CM at this level.

Happy enough with the two full backs. Neither are blessed with pace but both SOD and McGinn looked to get forward as much as possible and got some tempting deliveries into the box. Just a shame we don't have a goalscorer looking to get on the end of them.

The forward line is a concern. Shields and KVV both offer something in certain situations, I think, but don't do it for me as a pair. Shields certainly has the physical attributes and causes issues but seems rather naive in his positioning and decision making. KVV needs people moving off him and none of Efford, Shields or Morris seem capable of doing that. Tierney seems to link well with him, but we need someone with a natural instinct to get into scoring positions to finish it off.

My shopping list? Striker, left-back, centre-back and winger, in that order.

Hopefully this week sees the new manager appointed and a chance to improve the squad before the window closes. It'll be a work in progress but there was a glimmer of hope yesterday that there's enough about the team to build on.

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Honestly? It’s a difference of opinion & not expected to go unchallenged. Nobody proclaiming wisdom and your claim to the contrary is churlish at best.

MOTM? It’s not a favoured subject but, for me it was Goss. Was unsure in the thinking of moving him inside but, that was the platform for control of the second half aided by adding energy from Cornelius.

Thoughts on McGinn? Painfully slow, not the strong nor reliable defender he’s been made out as & has offered nothing going forward. He does though suit the instruction to shell the ball forward that O’Donnell disagreed with. Recruitment team played a blinder trailing this one since January…

I don’t expect to go unchallenged in my views and often I have acknowledged I was wrong or posted comments that were over the top.
But for you to use the word churlish is somewhat ironic ! Try simply posting that you disagree with me on MOM and that you thought Goss played well and was your MOM. Instead of your usual glib tone…….

FWIW I do agree Goss was good yesterday but I very much disagree with your comments on McGinn performance. I thought he played well. Got up and down the line to more effect than SODs. For me anyway it is easy to see why he would be the favoured right back. But since we don’t now have a left back (until we sign one) then SOD’s will presumably be our solution.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

How many times do folk need to say you come across as a bit of a nob in your replies before you accept that you come across as a bit of a nob? 

This isn't steelmen online. Everyone is decent here, try not ruin it eh? 

Quite gutting to lose in the way we did but I thought we were actually good in that second half particularly. There's more emphasis on trying to pass the ball to each other and less fucking pointless long balls. 

Goss was great. Move the ball around really well and put in some good set pieces. Would be happy if he could keep that form for a while. 

Maguire is rubbish. I think he's a big unit of a guy who is doing his absolute best but his best is nowhere near good enough to be a starting 6 in this league. Always looks like he's in the wrong place and doesn't anticipate anything. 

Shields is somewhat similar but probably has a bit more about him to be a busy forward who can get us up the park. 

Joe Efford though. What kind of hallucinogens was Alexander taking when he signed him up? The guy is a proper dud. Yesterday he cut in off the left then I've never seen anyone look so completely devoid of ideas. Ended up falling over his own feet in the end. 

We are also in need of a solution to the defence. We've now got no left backs, Ricki Lamie is our best centre back and Mugabi is looking like the original edition we signed. We can't rely on Ojala to be fit and Sol is still a bit of an unknown. 

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I don't want to be too harsh on Carroll given he's apparently just spontaneously combusted but our history with left backs is mental, have we arguably had one good one in the last 20 years?

Apart from Stevie Hammell?