Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

The usual from the naysayers. We see you.

Not involved personally, but, vexed at the reaction of some. Strange thing to boo in many’s opinion.

What was this all about? I couldn't see from where I was sitting.

Hammell is right about the penalties, although those were before we eventually scored anyway. He is also not hiding the fact that Alexander really fucked us, which makes it even more frustrating that we didn't take action in the summer.

Morris and Sheilds were caught on their heels way too often, while Efford would react well and then totally f**k it. Spittal was also miles off the pace.

I thought Morris might be just adjusting to the pace of our game, but I think he's actually toast. At best he could function in a midfield role, but he's not a forward. Has he had a shot?

I expect that we'll bring in a bunch of loans in the next couple of weeks, is there a limit to how many we can have?

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

What was this all about? I couldn't see from where I was sitting.

Backlash from an event last week from what I seen.

Certainly worked to effect but, not to the liking of some, especially the fella sat around the 140 ish mark around 4/5 rows from the back. That’s two home fixtures he’s spent roundly booing and it just makes you think football isn’t the spectator sport for him.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

This is my overall feeling after the first few games of the season - we look a fucking mile off it. If you take McGhee 2007 as the gold standard of what a team can be like after pre-season (they even went to Austria) - and you look at the state of us at the moment, it's an embarrassment. 

The evidence to this is becoming overwhelming but when you look back to April/May you have to wonder what the hell happened over summer.

We'd been crap January to March yes, but even critics of GA acknowledged the team was still fighting for him, as could be seen in all the many comebacks. We then finished the season P7 W3 (including two balls-like-watermelons crucial victories), D1, L3 (a deflection at Tannadice and two v the OF, one of which was a dead rubber). So results wise we even finished perfectly fine.

How on earth does SOD go from playing like a man possessed in Dingwall (with the wonderful shoving Cornelius out the way) and v Hearts to being shown the door? Did GA just jog it in over summer - pre-season, friendlies, recruitment - because he knew leaving was just a matter of time? 

And if the players - who, minus Watt, were basically fourth last Xmas - were key to getting him removed due to the issues Hammell is hinting at now, would there not be more of a reaction to him going? 

The whole thing is bizarre, especially if the rumours of the board holding back on funds are true - which you now need to hope we see confirmed by spending in the next few weeks.

14 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

The usual from the naysayers. We see you.

Not involved personally, but, vexed at the reaction of some. Strange thing to boo in many’s opinion.

Naysayers?

I’ve said on more than one occasion that I think they deserve credit for what they bring to games. That doesn’t mean they get a free reign though. Against Sligo they brought religion into their songs, and then today they hurl shite onto the pitch which gets the game paused when we’re on the ascendency and then continue to hurl shite when Kelly is over trying to clear the pitch. No “tapping into subjects” or claims of being “an über fan” here, just stating that to me (and seemingly also a large proportion of the rest of the Hunter) they looked like daft wee boys. 

But that’s the beauty of an online forum I suppose, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. No knowledge of the event from last week you mention, feel free to divulge details if it helps us misinformed fans get on board. 

If you're in the East Stand, you can't really see what's happening at the far end. I would assume most people just saw some stuff getting chucked onto the pitch and motherwell players looking unhappy that any momentum or idea of a quick start at the beginning of the second half was up in smoke.

If they were protesting about the treatment at St Mirren (which is a guess on my part), fair enough and I would agree with them having seen it first hand - but I get why folk might be frustrated by it given the timing and the way the game was going.

Just now, Swello said:

If you're in the East Stand, you can't really see what's happening at the far end. I would assume most people just saw some stuff getting chucked onto the pitch and motherwell players looking unhappy that any momentum or idea of a quick start at the beginning of the second half was up in smoke.

If they were protesting about the treatment at St Mirren (which is a guess on my part), fair enough and I would agree with them having seen it first hand - but I get why folk might be frustrated by it given the timing and the way the game was going.

Aye exactly. I heard the booing and obviously realised the game had stopped but couldn't see why. 

Ach its not that big a deal really is it? It's not like we were peppering their goal at the time. 

7 minutes ago, stu92 said:

Naysayers?

I’ve said on more than one occasion that I think they deserve credit for what they bring to games. That doesn’t mean they get a free reign though. Against Sligo they brought religion into their songs, and then today they hurl shite onto the pitch which gets the game paused when we’re on the ascendency and then continue to hurl shite when Kelly is over trying to clear the pitch. No “tapping into subjects” or claims of being “an über fan” here, just stating that to me (and seemingly also a large proportion of the rest of the Hunter) they looked like daft wee boys. 

But that’s the beauty of an online forum I suppose, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. No knowledge of the event from last week you mention, feel free to divulge details if it helps us misinformed fans get on board. 

You win. Hardly crimes of the century, the mock outrage from some though is beyond the pale.

3 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

You win. Hardly crimes of the century, the mock outrage from some though is beyond the pale.

No need for winners or losers surely? Just a bit of friendly discourse.

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

General stewarding issues that St Mirren seem to have or something more than that?

59 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Was told today Carroll is fucked and he's not even been able to collect his motor from FP.

That would presumably put us in the market for a left back then?

Reason I mention is there's a bit in The Record from Hammell's interview suggesting that we'd be open to looking at signings regardless of the manager situation, essentially if the "right player" was available.

Steven Hammell says recruitment at Motherwell will continue despite their being no permanent manager in place.

It is not his main focus, but the interim boss has revealed that if a player that could help the ML1 club becomes available, they will 'make that decision.'

Recruitment as a whole isn't stopped as they are 'keeping the door open.'

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Shocking that we have went in to a season with our two left backs as Carroll and McGinlay.

Now we have Carroll out for months and presumably McGinlay isn’t being risked due to the chance of sunshine breaking out.

What an absolute shambles Alexander has left

24 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Prey tell! What has transpired?

Just a training injury. Saw someone mention he was on crutches today. ( not sure where i read that. might have been this thread.)

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

My boy was quick to point out that McGinley's picture is missing from the squad list in the program today , would it be too much to hope that something unfortunate has happened there too ? 

He's been injured since last season has he not?

He popped up in the background in the video from 1st day of pre-season but he's not been seen since.