Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Decided last minute to go to the match today. Waited 25 mins for a ticket before giving up once the match had kicked off.

we need to go back to cash turnstiles as we are not set up to sell tickets on match day.

Queue barely moved and was still almost round the corner when I (and a few others) gave up.

15 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Decided last minute to go to the match today. Waited 25 mins for a ticket before giving up once the match had kicked off.

we need to go back to cash turnstiles as we are not set up to sell tickets on match day.

Queue barely moved and was still almost round the corner when I (and a few others) gave up.

I appreciate that's hugely frustrating but I assure you whatever you're doing instead is better than watching this.

1 minute ago, Kapowzer said:

In other news, Big Dec got a red card at Pittodrie and cost the Penguins a pen which Aberdeen slotted away.

Only bright spark today.

The Motherwell-St Johnstone-St Mirren fight for 10th, 11th and 12th is going to be eye-bleeding this season.

10 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The Motherwell-St Johnstone-St Mirren fight for 10th, 11th and 12th is going to be eye-bleeding this season.

Genine question, if you don't think changing the manager is going to change anything, why call for change?

Had Alexander still been in charge I'd completely agree with you 100%, but I don't think anyone can hang onto the above opinion when we're about to bring in someone completely new, with new ideas and a fresh approach. Obviously it's not going to bring guaranteed (relative) success, but it's definitely going to be different otherwise we'd just have kept the severance package money and kept going with what we had.

*Edited for jobby fingers typing.

Edited by Al B

3 minutes ago, Al B said:

Genine question, if you don't think changing the manager is going to change anything, why call for change?

Had Alexander still been in charge I'd completely agree with you 100%, but I don't think anyone can hang onto the above opinion when we're about to bring in someone completely new, with new ideas and a fresh approach. Obviously it's not going to bring guaranteed (relative) success, but it's definitely going to be different.

*Edited for jobby fingers typing.

It's a bit of mid-game pessimism, I'm not quite finding a tall building just yet.

But we've only got a few weeks before the window and:

never mind no left-back, we have no central defensive pairing either. We're an open shop at the back.

At the other end we create absolutely nothing. It's about to be one freebie penalty in six hours of competitive football and scarcely a chance beyond it. Four wins in twenty-however many games etc.

Midfield, I'm not writing off completely, there might be something there with Slattery. It's weak, however.

So while I'm happy we're starting the change, you can acknowledge at the same time the task ahead is absolutely massive whoever takes over. If we move out some deadwood and bring in some better players by September, we might be competitive in lower midtable because the the vast majority of the rest have a very low ceiling indeed.

35 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's a bit of mid-game pessimism, I'm not quite finding a tall building just yet.

But we've only got a few weeks before the window and:

never mind no left-back, we have no central defensive pairing either. We're an open shop at the back.

At the other end we create absolutely nothing. It's about to be one freebie penalty in six hours of competitive football and scarcely a chance beyond it. Four wins in twenty-however many games etc.

Midfield, I'm not writing off completely, there might be something there with Slattery. It's weak, however.

So while I'm happy we're starting the change, you can acknowledge at the same time the task ahead is absolutely massive whoever takes over. If we move out some deadwood and bring in some better players by September, we might be competitive in lower midtable because the the vast majority of the rest have a very low ceiling indeed.

Absolutely! Was genuinely interested in your thought process as to be honest, I've pretty much written off any hope for massive change for now. Totally get the point about lack of chances and attacking play, let alone goals, but Hammy mentioned as much in his presser that the players have spent the last 2 years having that almost coached out of them, the way we were playing was (bizarrely) the way GA wanted us to play. That's going to take time to unpick and almost "un-coach" if you like, as for me the biggest goal in coaching is to have the players performing your instructions instinctively with autonomy. When your instincts as a player have been programmed in by someone that doesn't coach attacking and pressing football, then undoing that is never going to be a quick fix.

It's a big part of the double issue with O'Donnell for me, both the SOD/GA issue, and the Motherwell SOD/Scotland SOD, in that as far as I'm aware their tensions came because SOD was instinctively playing as an attacking full-back which GA didn't want.

Also, not trying to tell you or anyone anything they don;t already know ha, like everyone it's just the thoughts of the past year and the now coming out in a post 🤣

And also....... YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS goal!!!!!!

Edit - Aw for f**k sake.

Edited by Al B

8 minutes ago, Al B said:

Absolutely! Was genuinely interested in your thought process as to be honest, I've pretty much written off any hope for massive change for now. Totally get the point about lack of chances and attacking play, let alone goals, but Hammy mentioned as much in his presser that the players have spent the last 2 years having that almost coached out of them, the way we were playing was (bizarrely) the way GA wanted us to play. That's going to take time to unpick and almost "un-coach" if you like, as for me the biggest goal in coaching is to have the players performing your instructions instinctively with autonomy. When your instincts as a player have been programmed in by someone that doesn't coach attacking and pressing football, then undoing that is never going to be a quick fix.

It's a big part of the double issue with O'Donnell for me, both the SOD/GA issue, and the Motherwell SOD/Scotland SOD, in that as far as I'm aware their tensions came because SOD was instinctively playing as an attacking full-back which GA didn't want.

Also, not trying to tell you or anyone anything they don;t already know ha, like everyone it's just the thoughts of the past year and the now coming out in a post 🤣

And also....... YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS goal!!!!!!

Edit - Aw for f**k sake.

Aye, fair points. I'm also coming to terms with just how rooked we are. I thought for months we were underperforming, I'm far from convinced now. And yes while we overperformed Aug-Dec 2021 in terms of results, I just didn't see the collapse being so ingrained.

We were absolutely gifted a point today and still contrived to throw it away. Mugabi is an absolute wreck but he's not the only one. I dread to think what Aberdeen will do to us next week.

Edit to add: At least the other results went our way - I have the feeling we could be looking to that a lot in the months ahead!

Edited by Handsome_Devil

G.I. Joe must be fucking dynamite in training.

Shields has the unique talent to look like poacher but unable to poach.

The last Motherwell player to score in open play was Ricki Lamie vs Hearts.

Sorry Hammy, this wee blue fella now gets my vote as we’re gonna need three wishes.

aladdin GIF

Goss was our best player today I thought. Wasn’t at St Mirren but today was a marked improvement from the two Sligo games. You’ve got to feel that with a new manager and approach to games, we’ll be better than St Johnstone come end of the season as I thought they were pretty shite all in despite scoring more than us. 

Shout out to the bois for being utter morons again. 

1 minute ago, stu92 said:

Goss was our best player today I thought. Wasn’t at St Mirren but today was a marked improvement from the two Sligo games. You’ve got to feel that with a new manager and approach to games, we’ll be better than St Johnstone come end of the season as I thought they were pretty shite all in despite scoring more than us. 

Shout out to the bois for being utter morons again. 

This will be the one time he doesn’t win the man of the match on the bbc sport website

Despite losing l was impressed with Hammell’s quick changes in the second half as he realised the first half was terrible. If we were still under Alexander-ball we would likely have stuck with the 11 until 70 minutes and then been too far behind to chase the game. I wouldn’t hate the job going to Hammell but feel like we need something radical at this point but I reckon Hammell would see us comfortable anywhere from 10th-5th with a few new bodies in.