Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Hammell would give me the fear a bit. Nothing against the guy personally (the opposite, in fact) but I think we're in general too big a club to be giving folk their first crack in management, unless they seem to be a genuinely rare talent.

There's pretty tight margins in this league, having a rookie in charge compared to the teams around us, like McInness, Ross and Malky could easily be the difference between 5th and 11th at the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, CoF said:

Anyone else getting the vibe that Hammell hasn't been too impressed with Alexander's work? He's made a few comments in interview that could be seen as an indirect criticism - building the team around Slattery, comments about player fitness, being limited in his options because of a lack of game time and (similarly) yesterday's interview about getting badly needed game time in the bounce game vs Dundee. 

VERY much so.  Easy for someone to come into a job and besmirch the previous incumbent and that happens all too often. 

But it does not strike me like this would be in Hammells nature to do so.  So I find it quite telling that he is clearly stating the squad needs tweaking. The squad needs to be fitter. The team needs to be better in and out of possession and try and play more forward passes.  Lets be honest every fan that was at the Sligo games would have come to the very same conclusion. 

Appointing Hammell may well be seen as more risky as oppose to say a more experienced Manager.  I believe that too.  But he is saying the right things that I want to hear.  And if we win again today then he makes his case even stronger. 

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, welldaft said:

VERY much so.  Easy for someone to come into a job and besmirch the previous incumbent and that happens all too often. 

But it does not strike me like this would be in Hammells nature to do so.  So I find it quite telling that he is clearly stating the squad needs tweaking. The squad needs to be fitter. The team needs to be better in and out of possession and try and play more forward passes.  Lets be honest every fan that was at the Sligo games would have come to the very same conclusion. 

Appointing Hammell may well be seen as more risky as oppose to say a more experienced Manager.  I believe that too.  But he is saying the right things that I want to hear.  And if we win again today then he makes his case even stronger. 

I think the positive thing for most supporters is that he has identified all the things the fans have been shouting about for some time and is showing an appetite to fix them. That might not make him manager of the year, but it shows he isnt just some rookie without a clue. He has been involved in professional football for over 20 years, and been a youth team coach for the last 4, so he does have some experience behind him.

Its a bit like the argument with players. Do we sign an experienced journeyman manager who is never gonna be better than average, or do we go with a young inexperienced one whose potential is far greater but somewhat of a risk?

7 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

He has been involved in professional football for over 20 years, and been a youth team coach for the last 4, so he does have some experience behind him.

Not so sure that he was the coach … … He was head of the academy which involves a lot more than coaching.

9 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Not so sure that he was the coach … … He was head of the academy which involves a lot more than coaching.

Yes. Maybe a bad choice of words on my part trying to get my point across. Being Academy Director would undoubtedly bring experience of many transferrable skills. Coaching players being just one of them.

Anyone else getting the vibe that Hammell hasn't been too impressed with Alexander's work? He's made a few comments in interview that could be seen as an indirect criticism - building the team around Slattery, comments about player fitness, being limited in his options because of a lack of game time and (similarly) yesterday's interview about getting badly needed game time in the bounce game vs Dundee. 

There was something about the squad lacking balance too.

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

Looking at the signings Hibs, Hearts, Utd and Aberdeen are making, we really have fell well behind them. 

This summer has really been an utter cluster fu*k. 

Sadly we are not really competing with these teams in terms of budgets.

Hearts have sold out season tickets and have guaranteed European Group stage football. OK with that. 

Aberdeen have taken in £7m in transfer fees and spent about £2m. OK with that.

Hibs have a wealthy American owner who does not have a clue and seems willing to spunk millions down the drain. Hibs fans are OK with that.

United have a less wealthy owner who seems happy to throw his money at the club and incur losses year after year. Is it sustainable. Time will tell but again United fans seem OK with that. 

Trust us to get Les Hutchison who was happy to loan Motherwell money 🤷‍♂️. Then walk away. To be fair he did write off some money I believe but he was an atypical frugal Scot 🙈

Edited by welldaft

5 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Sadly we are not really competing with these teams in terms of budgets.

Hearts have sold out season tickets and have guaranteed European Group stage football. OK with that. 

Aberdeen have taken in £7m in transfer fees and spent about £2m. OK with that.

Hibs have a wealthy American owner who does not have a clue and seems willing to spunk millions down the drain. Hibs fans are OK with that.

United have a less wealthy owner who seems happy to throw his money at the club and incur losses year after year. Is it sustainable. Time will tell but again United fans seem OK with that. 

Trust us to get Les Hutchison who was happy to loan Motherwell money 🤷‍♂️. Then walk away. To be fair he did write off some money I believe but he was an atypical frugal Scot 🙈

We had John Boyle.

Look how that turned out!

Happy to be a fan owned club and compete within our means.

7 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Hutchison didn't want to own a football club though. He was clear about that.

He gave us a float to allow us to transition to fan ownership. Which is what we did.

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

Looking at the signings Hibs, Hearts, Utd and Aberdejouen are making, we really haves fell well behind them. 

This summer has really been an utter cluster fu*k. 

We can't compete financially with any of them, even United are throwing around comparative funny money this year, which I think they may feel adverse effects from a few years down the line. They won't be worrying about that just now though, and the gap in quality that's quickly expanding between them and us is alarming.

Our acquisitions are from a rung of the ladder below where they're recruiting and we need to make sure we're skimming the best we possibly can from that small pool. I'm far from convinced we've been close to doing that with the likes of Efford, or more recently, Morris. The few bodies we are likely/surely to bring in before the end of the window simply have to be bang on the money and ready to drop straight in and strengthen our starting XI.

Just now, joewarkfanclub said:

We had John Boyle.

Look how that turned out!

Happy to be a fan owned club and compete within our means.

We did.

Reminds me a little of what United are doing at the moment. But as we know there comes a time when a wealthy owner becomes a little tired losing millions. At least Boyle was a Well fan. The two guys that own Hibs and United I believe had little or no connection to either club. Never get the appeal myself.

In the unlikely event I had £20m I genuinely would be OK spending £10m on Motherwell. Spending £10m on an American baseball team or basketball team less so….

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Hutchison didn't want to own a football club though. He was clear about that.

He gave us a float to allow us to transition to fan ownership. Which is what we did.

Agreed. Just a shame he did not want to spend his millions on Motherwell. If I recall he was more a Rangers fan in any case. 

Maybe I'm mistaken but to the best of my knowledge not once in the history of Scottish football has a club regularly spending way beyond their operative means ended well. And I'm pretty sure it's not even a guarantee you get that much success on the way - Rangers obviously a counter example to that. Perhaps Hearts? But not many. 

The current European situation has definitely changed the risk/reward and that's why I think Hearts are taking a calculated, rather than reckless, risk. United though...jebus. And they've been here before with Eddie T and the hangover that followed. Their guy has invested "around 13 million" according to the Courier - perhaps there's a massive tax benefit to it back home in America for him, perhaps he just likes having an expensive toy. I'd have the absolute fear he'll be looking for his money back somehow, some time though if I were them but I hope they enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Fan ownership has some pretty massive draw backs and perhaps ideally you'd like a compromise solution where the WS retain control but we get individual investors looking for a return on transfer revenue or something. Dream solution one of us wins the old Euro millions ofc. But if you offered me what United/Hibs have and what we have, I'd take our structure every time even if that means we're waving them into Europe while we battle relegation for a few years.