Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 28/07/2022 at 22:02, virginton said:

Are Irish fitba fanboys going to just keep cherry-picking the handful of results they've had in Europe and ignoring all the bleachings, aye?

If only there was some sort of UEFA system that could weigh up all results in European competition to work out if the standard is any good or not.

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2022

On 28/07/2022 at 22:04, virginton said:

Ranked 39th - Kosovo

Ranked 40th - Southern Ireland

Ranked 41st - Armenia

You might want to take it up with UEFA for counting all of your farmers' league pumpings then. 

23 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Oh and 5-1 in Stavanger. 

Shocked to see that literally none of the Irish pub league fanboys on this thread have popped up to provide a suitably mewling apology. 

1467740578_mourinho-cr7(1).gif.95045955a1ef93f6bf459f60444ea7ef.gif

I honestly think that the ability of the squad who were bottom in December 2020 made the job more attractive than the ability of the squad at the moment does.

It’s easier to look like a hero coming in half way though a season when a team is bottom and keeping it up than it is taking a team who were 5th to a nice, safe, boring 7th or 8th or whatever a good season this year would look like.

I’m pretty sure the job would look more attractive to an incoming manager then with Campbell, Watt and Cole (albeit the goals hadn’t started yet) than it does with the current lot.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Shocked to see that literally none of the Irish pub league fanboys on this thread have popped up to provide a suitably mewling apology. 

1467740578_mourinho-cr7(1).gif.95045955a1ef93f6bf459f60444ea7ef.gif

Genuinely - what the f**k are you on about ?

Did you notice any other results last night or are you just on the wind up ? 

We lost to Sligo which was poor but Shamrock Rovers won 3-1 in the Europa League last night and St Pats won 1-0 away to CSKA Sofia. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Good lads...

Motherwell: Aitken, Ross, Garcia, Gould, Bone, Miller, Nevans, Wells, Ferrie, MacDonald, Ross (Sneddon, White, Beattie, Flatman, Tomany)

They will be quaking when our robust women are up there on Sunday.

17 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Genuinely - what the f**k are you on about ?

Did you notice any other results last night or are you just on the wind up ? 

We lost to Sligo which was poor but Shamrock Rovers won 3-1 in the Europa League last night and St Pats won 1-0 away to CSKA Sofia. 

It's not the 1980s anymore though and CSKA Sofia are an absolute nick of an outfit, just like the rest of Bulgarian football now.  

Two farmers' leagues scrambling for relevance then. 

15 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I honestly think that the ability of the squad who were bottom in December 2020 made the job more attractive than the ability of the squad at the moment does.

It’s easier to look like a hero coming in half way though a season when a team is bottom and keeping it up than it is taking a team who were 5th to a nice, safe, boring 7th or 8th or whatever a good season this year would look like.

I’m pretty sure the job would look more attractive to an incoming manager then with Campbell, Watt and Cole (albeit the goals hadn’t started yet) than it does with the current lot.

Fair comment. But there are plentY of candidates out there and we just have to make sure we choose the right one again.

I was impressed by Hammies interview today. Spoke well. Not sure the comment above about him not wanting the job. As mentioned it is VERY clear he would like the job. 

As an aside we in the East of Scotland supporters club have had an end of season dinner for the past 25+ years. We have had quite a few guests inc the likes of Kevin Twaddle Even had Stevie Kirk pulling out at the last moment because he suddenly remembered (on the day) it was his wife’s birthday. To be fair knowing Stevie that actually would not be a surprise. 

The point is we sponsored Stevie Hammells home shirt for a few years. He turned up twice and was very humble and genuinely gracious. Not saying that makes him a front runner. But win tomorrow and the momentum will start to gather. I want the best man for the job but Stevie is going the right way about it. As above even if he did not get the Managers gig. Would be happy to see him as assistant. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's not the 1980s anymore though and CSKA Sofia are an absolute nick of an outfit, just like the rest of Bulgarian football now.  

Two farmers' leagues scrambling for relevance then. 

In summary you are posting a told you so post without actually doing any legwork or research into whether you are remotely correct…..

I guess that is P&B in a nutshell. 

Tbh, I'm with @thisGRAEME in saying I don't think Hammell necessarily wants the job.

To my ear he was clever in what he said, he didn't say he didn't want it but chose not to commit to saying he did - saying “If that’s to then progress to the first-team manager, then fantastic. If that’s what the club want and they feel it’s the best thing for the club, it’s something I am prepared to do.” is different to saying he wants the job IMO.

Basically the way Hammell's played it lets him go back to his Academy role without it seeming like he's been overlooked which was an awkward position Lasley put himself in with the various times he put his name forward.

It really depends who else is actually in for the gig.

Edited by capt_oats

I must have looked at the interview differently than the general consensus on here . Imo I felt he was very much saying that he would take it if that's what the powers that be felt was the best solution because he would literally do anything for the club, all the while trying to hold back from saying that he'd be barking mad to leave what he's got going with the academy.  

3 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

I must have looked at the interview differently than the general consensus on here . Imo I felt he was very much saying that he would take it if that's what the powers that be felt was the best solution because he would literally do anything for the club, all the while trying to hold back from saying that he'd be barking mad to leave what he's got going with the academy.  

With you on this. Need to watch the interview again.

Because many on here are saying he is making it obvious he does not want the job. Like listening to a Black Sabbath album backward. Clearly subliminal messages I am missing. 

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I'm with @thisGRAEME in saying I don't think Hammell necessarily wants the job.

To my ear he was clever in what he said, he didn't say he didn't want it but chose not to commit to saying he did - saying “If that’s to then progress to the first-team manager, then fantastic. If that’s what the club want and they feel it’s the best thing for the club, it’s something I am prepared to do.” is different to saying he wants the job IMO.

Basically the way Hammell's played it lets him go back to his Academy role without it seeming like he's been overlooked which was an awkward position Lasley put himself in with the various times he put his name forward.

It really depends who else is actually in for the gig.

Why would you expect him to come out and say I 100% want the job ? Why would anyone say that who is currently employed in a very important role as Academy Director. 

Of course Hammell wants the job. That is very clear to most of us. He is being diplomatic and saying what any employee would say when employed in a different but important role. He is playing the game wisely. Kudos to him. 

If we win tomorrow then there will be an increasing groundswell of opinion he may well be the right appointment. I have said I still think Assistant Manager may be the right job for now. But yes it all depends who is in for the job…

Edited by welldaft

My feeling, overall, is that both Hammell and Lasley have clocked that football management at our level has very few ways that end well, and a lot of ways which see you looking for a job.

There's no chance they've not seen Robinson having to split time between here and across the water, broadly doing well for us and still ending up out on his arse, moving to Morecambe, only to be back here a blink of an eye later, then finding himself again on a shoogly peg.

Working in football is a class laugh, generally, but having a job in football that doesn't see you chased for results on a Saturday must be appealing.

32 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

My feeling, overall, is that both Hammell and Lasley have clocked that football management at our level has very few ways that end well, and a lot of ways which see you looking for a job.

There's no chance they've not seen Robinson having to split time between here and across the water, broadly doing well for us and still ending up out on his arse, moving to Morecambe, only to be back here a blink of an eye later, then finding himself again on a shoogly peg.

Working in football is a class laugh, generally, but having a job in football that doesn't see you chased for results on a Saturday must be appealing.

How do you reach that judgement ?  Lasley - yes. He has decided that the Commercial side is the route for him to take. He has said as much. 

Hammell may well feel that way but no interview or comments I have seen has indicated as much. 

Some on here have made a judgement and genuinely think they are right as they normally do 🥱

Hammell may not become the Manager but again I think he has clear ambitions to be one. We shall wait and see.

The only limiting thing with Hammy is I doubt he can open many doors with respect to loanee's or much knowledge of talent outside the current Scottish youth crop. But then Alexander didn't secure many loans but that may be under instruction to develop our own talent. The players we can say he definitely knew and have been conveyed in interviews were KVV, Morris and Niernnold. As for the rest, for many of them such as Goss, Woolery, was that from lining up against them at Salford, moneyball software or Nick Daws? I suspect Daws is responsible for guys like O'Connor and Slattery.

WIth Hammell at the helm he has final decision on who we pursue rather than a seat at the table offering names. If he does get it maybe we will see more Scottish talent brought in as that has been the pool he's swam in since hanging up his boots. The training compo needed for teenagers may prove prohibitive. Also if you are at Hibs, with good promise and turning heads what would attract you to move to us, first team blooding a bit earlier?

Where we are at present I'd say the perfect candidate for me is someone who can emulate what Steve Clarke did when he took over at Killie. Took Big Lee's team without a win in 8 to 5th, very much a silk purse sow's ear story. Are there many guys on the market who have held senior positions at 6 EPL clubs and been assistant to Gullit, Zola, Dalgliesh and DiMatteo?

I look around the other clubs in this league outside the OF and Hearts and most has strengthened while we (at present) have regressed. However St Johnstone are in the same boat. A full week with the team, you'd be hoping for not being under the cosh like we were in Paisley, especially as St Johnstone can't seem to score or recruit people who can.

I'm not keen on Simo. I do trust the board to find and appoint the right guy, they tend to have more success here than disappointment. However one thing has troubled me since reading it this morning, the withholding funds. I can empathise and see both sides of the argument, board not wanting to give manager they're not convinced on money to load the team with his players but also a manager that delivered on his KPI's (OK, by a bawhair and ugly as sin) being hobbled. It was alluded to me it was only a matter of time due to him ostracising yet more players and that certainly tips the balance in favour of the board. I suppose that's why you have a recruitment guy who has a long term view irrespective of manager and their specific desires in the moment.

I'd definitely get behind Hammell with gusto if he got the gig, certainly doing and saying textbook stuff to carry us all along. But I'd like a more tangible list of who's out there from who we've approached and are receptive and those who have a genuine something about them who have applied.

Without someone outside Upper Crust in an ACME Cleaning Services surveillance van, it would be interesting to see the calibre of the 80 who have applied. 70 have probably already been binned after being laughed at.

As a fan owned club I feel we should have hustings like that Tory crowd.  When the short list is announced, ballot papers go out until we are down to the last two, then there is a Q&A in front of the Davie Cooper stand.  Who will play a winger, who knows the key attributes of a left back.  Who can juggle soot?

7 hours ago, ropy said:

As a fan owned club I feel we should have hustings like that Tory crowd.  When the short list is announced, ballot papers go out until we are down to the last two, then there is a Q&A in front of the Davie Cooper stand.  Who will play a winger, who knows the key attributes of a left back.  Who can juggle soot?

"I've been very clear all along that a clean break with Europe is the best way forward"

8 hours ago, ropy said:

You would need to start that process even before you sacked the manager then hope that you pick one before the start of the new season 😉 

The interview gave me the overall feeling that he is an absolute shoe-in for the job and they may as well give him the job officially now. Added to the interview everything about it fits well with Motherwell.

Again, I'm in a position at the club. It's a senior football position - I'm grateful and privileged to be in the position I am just now and I'm grateful every day for that.

If that's to then progress into the first team manager then fantastic, if that's what the club want and they feel it's the best I feel like it's something I'm prepared to do, but if they feel like that is and that's the best thing for the club then great - we'll see how that plays out.

Obviously I'm in a good role within the club at the minute, but if the club feel that this is the right decision to make and we see enough just now then fantastic.

Steven Hammell

https://youtu.be/jeWby_E0boU?t=709

9 hours ago, ropy said:

Can't wait for the leaked video of his main stand hustings where he claims the funding formula is shoving too much investment into the east stand. 

Anyone else getting the vibe that Hammell hasn't been too impressed with Alexander's work? He's made a few comments in interview that could be seen as an indirect criticism - building the team around Slattery, comments about player fitness, being limited in his options because of a lack of game time and (similarly) yesterday's interview about getting badly needed game time in the bounce game vs Dundee.