Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

19 minutes ago, CoF said:

Not to add to the outrage against the team / certain players but I'm surprised Van Veen's comments “I feel like I could work harder for my team-mates and my team-mates could work harder for me." seem to have gone under the radar. It's pretty self-damning in terms of attitude. 

There have been plenty of 'Well teams in the past that have (usually because they were limited) that have outworked/outfought the opposition - and to be fair, this was true under GA during his best spell - but this current team is definitely not that, so maybe KVV has a point.

18 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

If any of you missed it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_scotland_fm

Starts about 14:15

I always think Alan Burrows represents the club extremely well and speaks with an honesty that other clubs fans can only dream of, but for me a wee bit too much weight was placed on fans focus on the shorter term. I think there's a bit missing in the whole narrative since Thursday and that's Graham Alexander's ability (or refusal?) to communicate effectively with the fans. I think it's a big part of why things were so toxic in the end. 

He lost a lot of good will by making sure press conferences were as uninformative as possible. It was his opportunity to talk to the fans, to explain his thinking, to help us understand what was going on with certain players. We probably could've cut him a bit of slack if he offered some insight into the tactics and why player X was chosen over player Y. It's possible to do all that without criticising individuals and without throwing players under the bus. He instead just waffled on for fifteen minutes about vague notions of hard work, endeavour, belief, focus, picking ourselves up, wanting it etc etc etc. It quickly became tedious and pointless. 

I'm not sure if he was intentionally secretive or if that's just how he delivers his messages (if it's the latter then no wonder the dressing room switched off), but it always had a hint of arrogance - the fans pay their money for a seat in the stand but they're entitled to f**k all else. 

I listened to the whole interview, as mentioned above, Burrows does always come over well when chatting to media.

Although I might give it another listen just to count the number of "you knows" in there...!

Edited by KirkySuperSub

re-upping this post from May about the general profile of managers we've tended to go for.

On 02/05/2022 at 12:07, capt_oats said:

Give or take you can generally profile what we look for: 40-50, some experience - likely with 1 or 2 jobs behind them plus coaching, we generally don't make appointments who have managed at other Scottish clubs and I'm pretty sure you have to go back as far as Davies for a former (or current) player.

Of our recent managers Brown and McGhee are really the only ones who don't fit that description in terms of age and experience, although we seemed to go through a phase in the 90s - 00s of giving folk their first management jobs. Understandably we haven't done that since Malpas.

Also AFAIK McGhee's the only manager we've had to have 2 stints in the job.

Since McLean;

(94-98): McLeish -35, Previous club managed; n/a
(98): Kampman - 43, Previous clubs; Reipas (?), MyPa47 (?)
(98-01): Davies - 34, previous club; n/a
(01-02): Black - 39, previous club; n/a
(02-06): Butcher -43, previous clubs; Coventry (33.33%), Sunderland (30.23%)
(06-07): Malpas -43, previous clubs; n/a
(07-09): McGhee - 50, previous clubs; Reading (43.2%), Leicester (31.4%), Wolves (40.9%), Millwall (46.0%), Brighton (28.8%)
(09): Gannon - 40, previous clubs; Dundalk (36.1%), Stockport (43.4%)
(09-10): Brown - 69, previous clubs; Clyde (33.17%), Scotland u21s (43.18%), Scotland (45.07%), Preston (33.96%) 
(10-14): McCall - 46, previous club; Bradford (34.6% win)
(14-15): Baraclough - 44, previous clubs; Scunthorpe (23.5%), Sligo (55.0%) 
(15-17): McGhee - 58, previous clubs; Reading (43.2%), Leicester (31.4%), Wolves (40.9%), Millwall (46.0%), Brighton (28.8%), Motherwell (39.8%), Aberdeen (27.4%), Bristol Rovers (26.7%)
(17-20): Robinson - 42, previous club; Oldham (21.2%)
(21-present): Alexander - 49, previous clubs; Fleetwood (38.6%), Scunthorpe (46.9%), Salford (48.2%)

1 hour ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I listened to the while interview, as mentioned above, Burrows does always come over well when chatting to media.

Although I might give it another listen just to count the number of "you knows" in there...!

Probably can't beat Stubbs for 'you knows'. 2 withing first twenty seconds and couldn't watch it after the 'you know' episode starting at 2 minutes 20. Burrows and Stubbs would be ideal together you know.

McGhee loved a y'know as well.

There was a Southampton interview with Jo Aribo recently littered with "like", as the kids do these days. Even more pronounced as the subtitles/captions included them all.

Edited by Richie

Just listened to Burrows’ interview there. No reason to not believe him when he said they have/will receive applications from all over the world given the nature of football manager roles, which makes it even more wild that Robinson is being mentioned. 

7 minutes ago, stu92 said:

Just listened to Burrows’ interview there. No reason to not believe him when he said they have/will receive applications from all over the world given the nature of football manager roles, which makes it even more wild that Robinson is being mentioned. 

Apart from anything else - they would be crazy jumping in and appointing Robinson (which I still don't believe for a second BTW) before seeing who else is available. 

Paper talk comes into a few categories

1. Lazy Ex-Rangers and Ex-Celtic "candidates" who can be used to get a hack's page views numbers up or used as a favour
  2. Lazy ex-motherwell connections like robinson
  3. Foreign ex-internationalists that folk have heard of
  4. Shite trawled from forums such as this
  5. The actual candidate, broken by Scott Burns the night before they sign on officially.

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

Apart from anything else - they would be crazy jumping in and appointing Robinson (which I still don't believe for a second BTW) before seeing who else is available. 

Paper talk comes into a few categories

1. Lazy Ex-Rangers and Ex-Celtic "candidates" who can be used to get a hack's page views numbers up or used as a favour
  2. Lazy ex-motherwell connections like robinson
  3. Foreign ex-internationalists that folk have heard of
  4. Shite trawled from forums such as this
  5. The actual candidate, broken by Scott Burns the night before they sign on officially.

Completely agree, almost certainly pure fabricated pish from a red top here.

I’d put money on our new manager being in category 5. 

10 minutes ago, ropy said:

What if Hammell wins the first two games, surely he wouldn’t want the gig when he has a job for life at the moment. 

Unless Hammell makes it clear he wants the job or he's quitting the club, we shouldn't even be considering him regardless of what results he gets - the academy is running well and is too important to be mucked around with for something as short-term as the first team manager.

Fair play to Hammell btw for his first act as manager being a restart of the 'where's Slattery' campaign, didn't have nearly enough of that last season.

Otherwise, meh...I'd have had Cornelius in and thought SOD might get a run.

Would be thrilled and surprised with a point.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Fair play to Hammell btw for his first act as manager being a restart of the 'where's Slattery' campaign, didn't have nearly enough of that last season.

I’m sure Slattery is suspended today and possibly next week too

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Slattery not even on bench, so assuming he's not fit/serving carried over suspension? I'd agree with Cornelius getting a chance for a bit more energy in the middle. Just not a Goss fan at all.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Of course! Forgot all about that.

I’ve always felt he’d be the player that would benefit most from having the Alexanderball shackles taken off too but we’ll have to wait for that theory to be proven wrong