Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

34 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

I’ve heard it’s ‘insert random name’. announced on Monday………..

Snodgrass, player manager, Alex McLeish style, banter up the dressing room. Make it so Flao. It'll be Tuesday though.

Edited by Kapowzer

20 minutes ago, Kapowzer said:

Snodgrass, player manager, Alex McLeish style, banter up the dressing room. Make it so Flao. It'll be Tuesday though.

You are right, it’s never going to be Monday

4 hours ago, Swello said:

For some reason, I find it hard to imagine Liam Kelly using the word "toxicity" - I just can't put that word and his voice together :)

GA had run out of road and he has been in football more than long enough to know that - there is genuinely no way back from long months of relegation form crowned with a gold-plated minter against Sligo, one of the worst results in the club's modern history. If there is some kind of narrative that the support suddenly turned on him or he is somehow a victim - that would be pretty dishonest.

Motherwell managers survive by spreading the inevitable bad stuff in amongst good wins/good form and he started with plenty of goodwill from the support. At the winter break last year his stock was high even if not everyone liked the style of play to put it mildly.

I was at Ross County in the midweek game after the break where I think the plot was lost and never found again (Bevis culpable again funnily enough) and he simply never showed the flexibility or imagination to change the script after that - instead opting for the type of scattergun approach that normally heralds the closing chapter of a managers' time at a club. That he survived until now was actually a testament to people's patience.

Frustration doesn't normally get a chance to build as long as it did here,  so if things were a bit toxic near the end, it's maybe not a surprise.

Think his toxic comment might have been as a result of Thursday night although I could be totally wrong.

2nd half a wee group of fans on the 18 yard line were giving him a hard time, not because of anything he had done but because he was the nearest Motherwell player and some of the comments were bang out of order and certainly even made me cringe.

Loud and incessant for 45mins, he couldn't fail to hear them and I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't impressed.

13 minutes ago, santheman said:

Think his toxic comment might have been as a result of Thursday night although I could be totally wrong.

2nd half a wee group of fans on the 18 yard line were giving him a hard time, not because of anything he had done but because he was the nearest Motherwell player and some of the comments were bang out of order and certainly even made me cringe.

Loud and incessant for 45mins, he couldn't fail to hear them and I could tell by the look on his face that he wasn't impressed.

Everyone got it on Thursday night - it was the most raging motherwell support I've seen for a while..

Sligo is a smashing wee place btw. I’d happily visit there again.

There’s always a wee bit of optimism when we’re looking for a new manager. I’m hoping we can play some better football but I’d rather watch paint dry than suffer Robinsonball again or a similar type to Alexanderball.

I can fully see us being appealing to Stephen Robinson. Bigger club. More money flowing than he got last time. Familiar. Basically the only place he's succeeded.

Why we'd fancy Stephen Robinson at this point however, is a bit beyond me.

23 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Sligo is a smashing wee place btw. I’d happily visit there again.

Aye - shame if that was lost in all the other stuff - really nice wee town and genuinely one of the friendliest/laid back places I've ever been. Build up in the Garvouge was great and the Sligo supporters were annoyingly gracious after the win (they all probably started pishing themselves laughing when we all left town). 

34 minutes ago, Swello said:

Aye - shame if that was lost in all the other stuff - really nice wee town and genuinely one of the friendliest/laid back places I've ever been. Build up in the Garvouge was great and the Sligo supporters were annoyingly gracious after the win (they all probably started pishing themselves laughing when we all left town). 

Agree with all of this but will be glad to never hear that fuckin Aidan Keena song again. Was on repeat there after the game. 

The young team certainly appreciated all the female students appearing late on after the game too.

5 hours ago, santheman said:

I told the podgy one to keep his mouth shut. Only not so diplomatically. What an absolute roaster shouting abuse at Kelly for a full on 5 minutes. 

The wee gang of pre pubescent kids around him were  trying to work out who said what with I am sure the sole aim of trying to pick a fight. Not long after another roaster head butted another Motherwell fan but somehow avoided arrest.

They should grow up and realise that they were casuals 20 odd years ago. It is a sad sight for sure. 

When all is said and done I enjoyed that trip better than Llanelli and Breidablik even though we won those two games. 

There’s not much that Kelly said that isn’t true really - fan toxicity did play a part in Alexander’s departure.

It’s a weird one where that kind of atmosphere clearly doesn’t help the team, or anyone, but at the same time, you can’t imagine or expect fans to react in a different way. Those who travelled and those who’ve watched us since January 100% have the right to be raging.

The full conference (to my knowledge) isn’t available anywhere. It could be that the media have jumped on a 30 second soundbite from a 5-10 minute video that will get them clicks. There may be more context.

What I do think is that it’s unnecessary to come out and say. When a manager goes there are so many generic, neutral phrases that can be trotted out to get you through the first press conference without anyone being chucked under the bus. Anyone with half a brain could understand that when fitba fans are raging, they don’t need to be antagonised further.

26 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

That's a lot to ask of a guy that probably thinks 5G will make his dug gay.

I laughed pretty hard at that, cos it's fucking true. Kelly is a roaster of the highest order.

Not to add to the outrage against the team / certain players but I'm surprised Van Veen's comments “I feel like I could work harder for my team-mates and my team-mates could work harder for me." seem to have gone under the radar. It's pretty self-damning in terms of attitude.