Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

12 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Very good interview with Flow on Radio Scotland there. He commented on Kelly's comments by praising the fans and he's going with the line of it being mutual consent. Supposedly Alexander started the conversation on Friday morning that led to the decision.

If any of you missed it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_scotland_fm

Starts about 14:15

Edited by Kapowzer

1 hour ago, Swello said:

For some reason, I find it hard to imagine Liam Kelly using the word "toxicity" - I just can't put that word and his voice together :)

You don't have to imagine it. There's a video where he makes what you read, sound even more stupid.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Motherwell managers survive by spreading the inevitable bad stuff in amongst good wins/good form and he started with plenty of goodwill from the support. At the winter break last year his stock was high even if not everyone liked the style of play to put it mildly.

People need to be honest with our trajectory - it's almost certain the next manager will fail and that's fine, it's just how we go.

In my time 15 managers have departed, four poached for better things (McLean, McLeish, McGhee I, Brown) and even if you generously say Butcher and Black were genuinely mutual (the former had clearly peaked, the latter clearly never had it) that still leaves nine as leaving because we chased them out the door. So a 'failure' rate of at least 60%, 80% if you're mean spirited. The most recent poached guy is more than a decade ago and two of the four are 25 years ago.

So the next manager, be it Stevie Hammell, Simo, big Duncan or anyone to else to the man on the moon will likely leave under a cloud.

What matters is what they deliver in the meantime and by and large nearly every manager has produced something positive (though at times you need to look pretty hard).

I'm clueless and intrigued as to who we get next - but certainly not worried.

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think there might actually be something in the SR stuff going by Burrows there.

It'd be an odd turn of events but I can sort off see the logic in it from all 3 parties.

I struggle to see the logic from our side I must admit...he'd run out of ideas and we moved on from his very transfer approach.

I've nothing against him coming back at some point - five years from now, we're one point off bottom in February, he's unemployment, we catch his eye across a crowded bar... - but going back now is an utterly terrible idea.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I struggle to see the logic from our side I must admit...he'd run out of ideas and we moved on from his very transfer approach.

I've nothing against him coming back at some point - five years from now, we're one point off bottom in February, he's unemployment, we catch his eye across a crowded bar... - but going back now is an utterly terrible idea.

We're in a pretty unique situation, in that we're looking for a new manager, one day before the season starts and with a month left of the Summer window. I can see a guy that obviously knows the club structure/playing squad and that the board allegedly didn't actually want to leave being a fairly appealing option to Burrows etc, especially if there's maybe a suggestion that Robinson/St Mirren would be amenable to it.

I'm not saying I expect it to happen- or that he'd be my first choice- but I can see why his name would come up, at least. 

2 hours ago, CoF said:

No sure there's much wrong with what's been said there. 

That's what I took from it. The fans were toxic towards GA. That's just the truth.

He essentially then says they need the fans support (true) then also says the team need to give us something to support (also true).

Nothing to see here for me other than he obviously gets on with GA and has passed on a bit of the chat 

17 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We're in a pretty unique situation, in that we're looking for a new manager, one day before the season starts and with a month left of the Summer window. I can see a guy that obviously knows the club structure/playing squad and that the board allegedly didn't actually want to leave being a fairly appealing option to Burrows etc, especially if there's maybe a suggestion that Robinson/St Mirren would be amenable to it.

I'm not saying I expect it to happen- or that he'd be my first choice- but I can see why his name would come up, at least. 

I get the point that he would pretty much be a manager that could come in up and running already. Is it possible to get a manager in on loan ?! If we can does that mean he takes all our dross back to st mirren with him again ? 

I can't get my head round this "return of Robinson" pish. There can't have been many people who weren't happy to see him go not that long ago. (Not that there wasn't gratitude for the better times, and I liked guy well enough, but it ended how it always ends.)

The only skill he's demonstrated since then is signing up people he already knows, and the people he already knows are all a few years older and slower now than when we punted them. I just don't get it.

39 minutes ago, eliphas said:

That's what I took from it. The fans were toxic towards GA. That's just the truth.

He essentially then says they need the fans support (true) then also says the team need to give us something to support (also true).

Nothing to see here for me other than he obviously gets on with GA and has passed on a bit of the chat 

Liam Kelly is within his rights to bring up stuff in an discussion, however if he's going to be so candid in a "fair fucks" interview if he's going to mention toxicity then he also needs to at least acknowledge the reason for it. Without any context as to why patience was eroded it becomes a "poor Graeme, arsehole fans" piece.

Dugmeat since Christmas and devoid of entertainment in 18 months and papped out of Europe at the first hurdle. If he thinks that is all covered universally in "the team needs to give the fans something to support", then he's doing us a disservice.

I will draw the line firmly at any of our support going onto social media to rant at his family members, that's a special kind of cretin.