Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
On 29/07/2022 at 08:47, thisGRAEME said:
Basically anyone that pays a fiver a month thinks they have a right to tell him he's getting the bullet, is the long and short of it.

Sounds exactly like SMISA.

Yeah, but I guess our moon howlers don't go on about crowd sizes in the 70's

Don't see anything wrong with what Kelly said there. You saw the state of Twitter, fb, and heard the fans on Thursday. A large group of fans turned against GA a while ago, and it was definitely toxic, so I don't blame him if that was a deciding factor.

It is funny that there are folk that have been giving him dogs abuse for the best part of a year now clutching their pearls because a tiny bit of criticism has come their way.

4 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Don't see anything wrong with what Kelly said there. You saw the state of Twitter, fb, and heard the fans on Thursday. A large group of fans turned against GA a while ago, and it was definitely toxic, so I don't blame him if that was a deciding factor.

It is funny that there are folk that have been giving him dogs abuse for the best part of a year now clutching their pearls because a tiny bit of criticism has come their way.

Football fans being thin-skinned? Well I never.

Liam Kelly blaming the fans for Sligo winning because the 'negative noise gave us too much of an uphill task' and blaming the fans 'toxicity' for Alexander leaving is absolutely wild.

Only beaten by some of you lads defending those comments.

13 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

A large group of fans turned against GA a while ago, and it was definitely toxic, so I don't blame him if that was a deciding factor.

It's good to have some proof at last that - despite the evidence of his post-match interviews and his persistent adherence to tactics that aren't working - Alexander isn't actually blind and deaf.

For some reason, I find it hard to imagine Liam Kelly using the word "toxicity" - I just can't put that word and his voice together :)

GA had run out of road and he has been in football more than long enough to know that - there is genuinely no way back from long months of relegation form crowned with a gold-plated minter against Sligo, one of the worst results in the club's modern history. If there is some kind of narrative that the support suddenly turned on him or he is somehow a victim - that would be pretty dishonest.

Motherwell managers survive by spreading the inevitable bad stuff in amongst good wins/good form and he started with plenty of goodwill from the support. At the winter break last year his stock was high even if not everyone liked the style of play to put it mildly.

I was at Ross County in the midweek game after the break where I think the plot was lost and never found again (Bevis culpable again funnily enough) and he simply never showed the flexibility or imagination to change the script after that - instead opting for the type of scattergun approach that normally heralds the closing chapter of a managers' time at a club. That he survived until now was actually a testament to people's patience.

Frustration doesn't normally get a chance to build as long as it did here,  so if things were a bit toxic near the end, it's maybe not a surprise.

Edited by Swello

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

For some reason, I find it hard to imagine Liam Kelly using the word "toxicity" - I just can't put that word and his voice together :)

GA had run out of road and he has been in football more than long enough to know that - there is genuinely no way back from long months of relegation form crowned with a gold-plated minter against Sligo, one of the worst results in the club's modern history. If there is some kind of narrative that the support suddenly turned on him or he is somehow a victim - that would be pretty dishonest.

Motherwell managers survive by spreading the inevitable bad stuff in amongst good wins/good form and he started with plenty of goodwill from the support. At the winter break last year his stock was high even if not everyone liked the style of play to put it mildly.

I was at Ross County in the midweek game after the break where I think the plot was lost and never found again (Bevis culpable again funnily enough) and he simply never showed the flexibility or imagination to change the script after that - instead opting for the type of scattergun approach that normally heralds the closing chapter of a managers' time at a club. That he survived until now was actually a testament to people's patience.

Frustration doesn't normally get a chance to build as long as it did here,  so if things were a bit toxic near the end, it's maybe not a surprise.

Hit the nail on the head mate.  For many the Sligo games were the straw that broke the camels back.  

3 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

had the group stuck together does anyone think they might have rivalled the OF In the way hearts in 04-06 and Hibs in 07 did?

No.

1 hour ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Liam Kelly has proved he's a moron before.

21 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Liam Kelly blaming the fans for Sligo winning because the 'negative noise gave us too much of an uphill task' and blaming the fans 'toxicity' for Alexander leaving is absolutely wild.

Only beaten by some of you lads defending those comments.

This guy knows