Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think it's fairly standard that the manager will get until late October at least, unless it goes seriously tits-up after the first few games.

Usually aye but if you look at our fixtures, if we don’t have a decent points haul by mid September then we’re potentially looking at no wins until mid November as we get into a really rough patch and given his form, that’s not going to happen.

The only benefit I can see to keeping Alexander in place for another few weeks is that it gives us time to get a shortlist to replace him sorted. I would’ve had faith in Lasley and Ross to oversee things for a few weeks, not sure I quite do with Hammell and Clarkson. 

Empty him now. I don't see any point in him carrying on in the hope that he'll turn this around. He's had time & resources to build this squad around what he wants and we are markedly worse for it. A load of sideways/backward passes, then an aimless launch up the park. I really don't understand what the f**k we are hoping for from it. 

I was there in Airdrie last summer. I was there at Cappielow at the end of Baraclough. I was there at the end of McGhee when they got battered 5-1 in 45 minutes. (Knock off Losing My Edge there). This was as bad as, if not worse, than any of them. At least the Airdrie game was a load of folk you knew weren't going to play for us long term. The starting XI in the last couple of games appears to be his strongest which is worrying to say the least. 

15 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Usually aye but if you look at our fixtures, if we don’t have a decent points haul by mid September then we’re potentially looking at no wins until mid November as we get into a really rough patch and given his form, that’s not going to happen.

This is it. 

We absolutely have to have points on board within the first 5/6 games as we’re getting nothing after that.

He’s had enough time and has shown he won’t be changing direction or tact. The board have to act now. 5/6 games time is far too late. 

I've seen some shite over the last 30 years of Motherwell but this is as bad as it gets. The Malpas side would tuck this current lot away nae bother. 

I've always went to the games, but honestly they can f**k off if they think I'm taking any part of this sham under Alexander. 

It might be reactionary, it might be a nothing gesture to most, but I'll telling the club to cancel my season ticket if they keep this guy in charge. 

Get him to f**k. 

11 hours ago, AndyX said:

Take out Rangers and Celtic points, and where would Scotland be?

Still a lot higher than Ireland, because then whoever our new champions were would also get 3 bites at the cherry every year dropping down through the various competitions the way the Irish champions do.

Edited by craigkillie

Can’t add much to what’s been said already, he has to go now.

Remember the chat last summer was that he was willing to let Watt go then? You wonder how quickly things would’ve gone downhill had we not had him scoring goals.

I do wonder if another manager will be able to get a better tune out of these players or whether we have just been lumbered with a shite squad for the foreseeable.

5 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Can’t add much to what’s been said already, he has to go now.

Remember the chat last summer was that he was willing to let Watt go then? You wonder how quickly things would’ve gone downhill had we not had him scoring goals.

I do wonder if another manager will be able to get a better tune out of these players or whether we have just been lumbered with a shite squad for the foreseeable.

Tbf, I could see us getting something out of this squad. The tactics have been one of the issues with Alexander and the lack of Plan B being one of them.

If a new manager comes in then we might get O'Donnell back in the squad which would be a plus right now.

1 hour ago, ZX1886 said:

We could win 10-0 on Sunday and it wouldn’t make me happy if he’s still in charge. There’s no way back for GA, the club has to recognise that.

Was trying to imagine how I'd feel in that scenario but I couldn't make it past first trying to imagine 10 goals from this squad under GA . 

ill be honest i was fully in the camp of this is no time to sack him... blah blah blah but now i don't think we can afford to keep him.

Sack him and keep lucketti and co. let them quit or follow him to his next gig. That will save us cash

Guest Cooper Stand

For those wanting cheered up, just read an article in yesterday's Daily Mail re Motherwell winning the first Spanish copa del rey, beating Real Madrid in 1927,they then followed it up later by beating Barcelona. I'm niw away to try and dig some of them up as they would be a damm site better than this lot. 

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's also worth noting the majority were willing to give him a fresh start if he acknowledged his role in the problems and made changes. If he'd done this and we'd still lost to Sligo, surrounded by building blocks, you could even have had a debate then if he could actually create a new side.

But his refusal to do this, instead doubling down, means there's no way back. 

I think this is it for me.

I didn't see the point sacking him last season when we weren't in any immediate danger. To be fair to him, we stumbled over the line and I was prepared to draw a line under it and let him rebuild this summer. These last two games though show nothings changed, except we might actually be getting worse.

For all you could criticize the quality of Alexander's team last season, I always felt at least they had a bit of fight and dig about them. Even during the 2nd half of last season there was Ibrox, Almondvale, Dingwall, final game against Hearts etc where we pulled out some big results when required(through character more than good performances). Last night though, the players looked liked they'd chucked it and at that point there's really no return.

Is it a surprise though? Constant rumours of fall outs have plagued his tenure and now he's stripped our captain of the armband and benched him before a ball had even been kicked this season. I can't imagine that had a positive influence on moral in the build up to a big European tie.

The summer business has been poor, no harm to them but all 3 have started both legs and we'd have been no worse off if we'd just went with Sods, Goss and Efford. Alexander seemed to hint there wasn't much to spend but given he spent big last summer I'm not surprised the board aren't trusting him with any more money. We spent good money to recruit Ojala and Sol only for them to become back ups to the two guys they were supposed to be upgrades for- one of which was culpable in 2 of the 3 goals we conceded during the tie.

Then there's the fans, there's literally nobody left fighting his corner. Even McGhee had more people supporting him towards the end. He's too far gone, there's no way back for him now and it's genuinely a case of when the board pull the trigger. The longer they wait, the less attractive we become.

In summary, thanks for keeping us up Graham but don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out.

Edited by Casagolda

Last night felt like a full stop. I'm pretty moderate when it comes to sacking managers but we are now - clearly - in the delaying the inevitable stage.

Getting someone in with some transfer window to play with and a kind run of fixtures is surely the only sensible plan. 

There are times to stand by a manager who is battling a horrendous injury run or some other stuff out with their control - that's not what this is.