Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Even though its a bad result (any defeat is) and maybe it’s purely because my own club had our own disaster a few years ago that I don’t look on this quite as harshly as some others.

First reason is that I don’t think Irish teams (north or south) are as bad as they were 40 years ago and we know that our league isn’t in the same place either.

Secondly, I‘ve been watching Scottish football since around 1995 and the feeling has always been that we should be hammering teams from smaller countries/weaker leagues. For people my age this has been taught to us and we’ve probably taught it to the next generation too.  In my experience though we don’t have too much to back this up though and it’s not a new thing, I remember us squeezing through against Shelbourne in 1997 (3-2 on aggregate). The same team were then 3-0 up against Dick Advocaats Rangers EBT 11, admittedly losing in the end up. I can’t be bothered going through to check all of the Scottish teams results against the others in the British Isles since then right now but might do later. But I doubt I’ll find many results this century where teams (outwith the obvious 3) from Scotland have easily beaten others from our neighbouring countries.

To summarize -  a bad result but not one that is completely unexpected.

3 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It felt very, very like we're about to get an interview with Keith Lasley saying "the players feel terrible we've let the manager down", yes.

Who's gonna lead the singsong? Sol is no stranger to a megaphone

4 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

So well fans who's next 

Stephen Glass, Shaun Maloney, or yogi Hughes 

Dud managers, Scotland centre-half's and shaved head strikers is a single direction sort of arrangement my Doric friend

Edited by Kapowzer

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I can’t be bothered going through to check all of the Scottish teams results against the others in the British Isles since then right now but might do later. But I doubt I’ll find many results this century where teams (outwith the obvious 3) from Scotland have easily beaten others from our neighbouring countries.

To summarize -  a bad result but not one that is completely unexpected.

Subtle stuff.... 😇

Edited by AndyX

McGinn and Sol found wanting for pace I think.

Shields let another couple of balls pass him by in the six yard box.

3 balls fired out the park behind the goals in the first 30 minutes.

Dont think their keeper had a save to make - I might be wrong I got distracted by p&b 

We didn’t score a goal, we were never recovering that tie after the first leg

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

Are Irish fitba fanboys going to just keep cherry-picking the handful of results they've had in Europe and ignoring all the bleachings, aye?

If only there was some sort of UEFA system that could weigh up all results in European competition to work out if the standard is any good or not.

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2022

28 minutes ago, virginton said:

Ranked 39th - Kosovo

Ranked 40th - Southern Ireland

Ranked 41st - Armenia

You might want to take it up with UEFA for counting all of your farmers' league pumpings then. 

Are we just ignoring the fact most of our ranking points come from Rangers and Celtic? 

In recent years Scottish clubs have been pumped out by Wales (ranked 50th), Kazakhstan (29), Azerbaijan (26), Sweden (23), Iceland (52). Scottish clubs tend to be shown up in Europe so let's not pretend we're not the ones with the record of farmers league pumpings.