Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

For me a lot the club's output (and the way the folk involved talk about it) comes across as very *pleased* with itself pretty often- maybe justified since they seem to win every award going, but still a bit grating. 

Still, Motherwell's social media is pretty low down my list of priorities even when it comes to football,  so I'm maybe not the target audience, but I think I enjoyed it more when we'd get match updates, 5 minute highlights, and Bigi sacrificing rams than the current stuff. 

27 minutes ago, DeadStar said:

I'd love to have match updates again, especially for away matches.

There's not much point doing it on Twitter any more, these days most folk read Twitter via "the algorithm" rather than chronologically, so they'd probably get half the updates in the wrong order and never see the other half at all. I thought we'd said we were going to start doing live updates on our website instead though, don't know why that never happened.

34 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

For me a lot the club's output (and the way the folk involved talk about it) comes across as very *pleased* with itself pretty often.

I think to a certain extent a lot the stuff was (also) aimed at a non-Motherwell audience (and was naturally also part of building folk's CV's - eg, Turnbull documentary) - so there was definitely a bit of pretentiousness when they were talking about it.

Just got my ticket for the St Mirren game this lunchtime. The few people there were just constantly talking about Alexander to get the sack, that they are happy not to have gotten a ticket for the Sligo away game and that we should have signed Mitchell van der Gaag as the manager instead.

Now, I don't believe Alexander has that much left if things continue as they are, but he was definitely the right choice that saved us from being in a relegation battle the prior season and built the base of last seasons results. 

But maybe we now know why some clubs sacked him after some bad spells within those clubs.

For me the social media thing is a nice to have, but ultimately any feel-good factor around the club, at least with the fans, is going to be based on results on the park.

Whilst I don't think every club employee needs to be a supporter, I think it certainly helps to have some understanding as to how fans might be feeling, and rembering that the 4k that generally turn up to games are the ones we need to keep happy. Getting a reply on Twitter from Man Utd means f**k all if we're serving up pish on the park.

29 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Just got my ticket for the St Mirren game this lunchtime. The few people there were just constantly talking about Alexander to get the sack, that they are happy not to have gotten a ticket for the Sligo away game and that we should have signed Mitchell van der Gaag as the manager instead.

Now, I don't believe Alexander has that much left if things continue as they are, but he was definitely the right choice that saved us from being in a relegation battle the prior season and built the base of last seasons results. 

But maybe we now know why some clubs sacked him after some bad spells within those clubs.

I was happy when he came on board.  He was definitely my choice at the time.

How he has done it I don't know, but he has achieved all the realistic aims that the board and fans could ask for.  Avoiding relegation when it WAS a distinct possibility.  Achieving top 6 and then European football the next season when most if not of all of us expected bottom 6.  No-one is arguing that we got a little lucky along the way.  No-one is disagreeing that it was not pretty to watch. 

But having achieved that I was happy to press reset and go again this season.  BUT I am concerned that we (after 1 game albeit) are no further forwards. You can argue all you like about friendlies being cancelled and not being able to use Fir Park but it was clear to all that we were still woefully underprepared for Sligo.  That is on the management team imho. 

Not wanting to throw Mugabi under the bus as we could have lost a goal inside of 30 seconds and should have had a penalty against us.  But his penalty and sending off v Coleraine.  His red card v Hibs in a very winnable cup game. I like the guy but he is a squad player at best. Same can be said about Maguire and Carroll etc.  

I get that due to contracts and budget restraints we cannot sign up a whole new team of better players.  But the problems we had last season look (initially at least) to be happening all over again.  Again that is on the management team.  Woolery leaving was a surprise but we all know we desperately need another striker, starting CB and LB and winger even.  

I suspect the Management Team thought we could cope with Sligo with so few friendlies and so few replacements.  We may yet still do that but the signs are not good.  I expect and hope to see a better performance this week than last, but looking at the evidence other than having had one more competitive game I am not sure what this view is based on. 

Our recent away record is appalling.  The pressure and expectation is now on Sligo in front of a full and passionate home crowd. Lets hope they react like most Motherwell teams do when playing in front of a large and expectant crowd....

This might be the longest I've taken to recover from a shite result. I'm normally throwing out benefits of the doubts and happy clappy stuff a day or two after, but I listened to Graeme's terrace podcast this morning and just want to batter our players. I still feel bad for punching a kid when I was 10, so I feel like wanting to take on the whole team hardcore rules is an escalation.

Athough not quite ready to start recommending Griffiths and Scott Allan.

Edited by rowsdower

6 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

This might be the longest I've taken to recover from a shite result. I'm normally throwing out benefits of the doubts and happy clappy stuff a day or two after, but I listened to Graeme's terrace podcast this morning and just want to batter our players. 

Same  - but I also have a nagging doubt that we've all massively over-reacted to one game based on the 2nd half of last season (even if that's fair enough). I'll be back in the mood in the pub before the game on Thursday..

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Not wanting to throw Mugabi under the bus as we could have lost a goal inside of 30 seconds and should have had a penalty against us.  But his penalty and sending off v Coleraine.  His red card v Hibs in a very winnable cup game. I like the guy but he is a squad player at best. Same can be said about Maguire and Carroll etc. 

This is very much it, for me. These positions were notably our problem for the whole of our last season and we've done absolutely nothing to address them. I understand that we don't have an endless amount of money to throw at new signings but the fact we still have the same shite options is awful. 

I think Mugabi worked to at right back last season to an extent as he was out of harms road and lapses weren’t punished as easily. Right back in a Grezza system allows him to make the most of his good centre back attributes without exposing his bad ones. 

He’s absolutely got a moment like Thursday’s in him.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I liked the wee video of the young guy fae the yoof team.

It would be interesting following the story of a few of them and see if they get near the first team, might take 2-3 years though.