Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I've liked the shouts that big Sol getting a month off to plough his girlfriend and go to a few BBQ's is gonna make him show up this season as a world beater.

We should have arranged a game for tomorrow, even if it's First team vs kids.

4 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Question is, who do we get to replace him?

With Lasley away it's even interesting who'd be caretaker as Lucketti will surely get emptied too. Hammell/Clarkson/Kerr even as an emergency solution isn't hugely appealing.

As for the next permanent boss, who knows - no one obvious given the evidence of the last 39 years of appointments.

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

It really is that simple, aye. 

Felt that we were shifting to a 5 which looked like a good fit for all the players we have, the new bodies I think are fundamentally an upgrade on what we had, but nah. Same old.

Also is Frazzle on here? What's this Frank patter? :lol:

Aye I was the same. Was sure with the signings that we’d made we were moving to a 5 and that fresh change of approach at least gave me something to look forward to seeing going into the new season.

Early days still but the signs aren’t good. If I’m made to sit through many more matches like the ones last season then sadly win, lose or draw I can see myself going along to games less and less. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

You haven't fielded an ineligible player and been knocked out of the competition as a result yet. 

They were out the competition regardless of ineligible players.

Guest Cooper Stand
16 hours ago, well fan for life said:

16 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Actually I Said Rose tinted Spectacles if you can't see that, you should maybe get along for a stronger pair. 

Loving @Cooper Stand's positivity since his recent arrival on the site.

I, for one, have certainly had my hood un-winked and am feeling a lot less stressed about our glaring defensive deficiencies, our lack of creativity in midfield, and our front line which is as toothless as the front row of a Sydney Devine (r.i.p) concert. (gag courtesy of Tam Cowan, OTB, 10th April 1996... maybe).

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that, with this squad and my newly instilled optimism, we will make the top 11 at least.

In GRAHAM we trust.

200.gif
Velma in 'Well colours just makes this more pertinent, well played sir.

I'm also a fully paid member of the speccy club but even without glasses I could have seen how pedestrian we were on Thursday and last Saturday. I wasn't particularly fussed about Alexander staying or leaving last season but genuinely feel we've gone backwards from what was a pretty low starting point.

‘IF’ Sligo were to knock us out on Thursday where would it rank in our embarrassing defeats? It would have to be up there as one of, if not the worst results for me.

Thankfully I’m working till 8 and won’t be able to check the score until HT. a blessing. 

Edited by ZX1886

16 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

‘IF’ Sligo were to knock us out on Thursday where would it rank in our embarrassing defeats? It would have to be up there as one of, if not the worst results for me.

Thankfully I’m working till 8 and won’t be able to check the score until HT. a blessing. 

It would have to be right up there.

Defeat by a League of Ireland team in Europe coupled with a loss to a Championship side in the league cup to start your season? Far from impossible to perceive.

Going by Thursday's showing, and my lack of faith in Alexander to drastically change things, it's a thought that's giving me the fear already.

12 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

It would have to be right up there.

Defeat by a League of Ireland team in Europe coupled with a loss to a Championship side in the league cup to start your season? Far from impossible to perceive.

Going by Thursday's showing, and my lack of faith in Alexander to drastically change things, it's a thought that's giving me the fear already.

Potentially tonked by a team of guys we freed on league opening day too...

I actually think we'll win on Thursday but if we don't for me it's not as bad as MyPa but level with Stjarnen. 

Our previous European debacles have also set the tone for the season...

It's very hard to compare it to domestic humiliations - you'd never say Sligo are like Albion Rovers, say, but then you're always unlikely to actually win the cup. But when losing on Thursday costs us at least 300k, never mind the psychological blow, it's safe to say it'd be an absolute disaster wherever you want to rank it.

6 hours ago, ZX1886 said:

Meh, not even close for me I'm afraid. They're no strangers to playing in Europe, they're well into their season and sitting top half of their domestic league, albeit only just. If they win I'll have forgotten about it by Christmas, but plenty of domestic league and cup games still haunt me years later.