Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when the stadium is full with people that don’t normally go? Could do with their support week in week out, not just for a ‘glamour’ match. You get used to the folk you know nearby then the ones that just show up seem to be rude, entitled and hostile regarding seating, standing and the rest of it. 

As for the game the less said the better, no faith in Alexander from me, would be happy to be proven wrong but even the style of football is gruelling. 

7 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when the stadium is full with people that don’t normally go?

Often see a few bangers that turn up only in times of "glamour".

54 minutes ago, Marinello said:

Only 3 areas of consolation;

* Goals away rule no longer applies.

Away goals have zero bearing on a 0-1 defeat at home, even in the old days.

9 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when the stadium is full with people that don’t normally go? Could do with their support week in week out, not just for a ‘glamour’ match. You get used to the folk you know nearby then the ones that just show up seem to be rude, entitled and hostile regarding seating, standing and the rest of it. 

Me and the 2 old guys that sit behind me were saying that tonight. There was definitely some fans there tonight who were entitled like you said.

1 hour ago, Kapowzer said:

Sad days when performance of the fcuking scoreboard is a parody of what panned out.

Goes to shit .... reboot required .... cobbled together solution .... came back worse.

I did enjoy that we apparently have a shortcut dedicated to "Livingston". Maybe a holdover from the Robinson days.

5 hours ago, welldaft said:

I was saying this earlier to friends and had been thinking the same.  To go into any European tie with a bounce game v a second tier Austrian side and friendly against Partick Thistle tells me were criminally underprepared. Sligo have had 24/5 competitive games. Whilst we could not hope to replicate that I think the Manager and club have ballsed up on this front.

I know it is not easy to organise games at this time of year and then you have to worry about injuries, but no one is telling me (and the evidence tonight supported it) that we were ready despite the gospel according to Graeme Alexander (press conference). 

That was my concern too...I don't think we were quite as bad individually as it felt at full time but obviously absolutely toothless.

Starting KVV was clearly the wrong decision, keeping him on absolutely mind-boggling.

Tierney should start next week. The rest...god knows.

5 hours ago, welldaft said:

I was saying this earlier to friends and had been thinking the same.  To go into any European tie with a bounce game v a second tier Austrian side and friendly against Partick Thistle tells me were criminally underprepared. Sligo have had 24/5 competitive games. Whilst we could not hope to replicate that I think the Manager and club have ballsed up on this front.

I know it is not easy to organise games at this time of year and then you have to worry about injuries, but no one is telling me (and the evidence tonight supported it) that we were ready despite the gospel according to Graeme Alexander (press conference). 

He said something on the radio about a team(s) cancelling on us at the last minute, and due to our pitch situation we’d been reliant on other teams being able to host us. Any ideas who bailed on us?

I'd given the benefit of the doubt that maybe he'd learn from last season, but nah, we're up to another 38 games of slow and anaemic buildup, or launching it aimlessly 80 yards, three midfielders the wrong side of the ball, three forwards nowhere near one another and one good performance in six. 

The system does not work. You're asking players to be in two places at once, still. It didn't work 30+ times last year, it won't work 30+ times this year. 

Life remains unimproved.

7 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I posted last year, asking when was the most appropriate age to start taking yer kid to the football...right now, there is no fuckin' way I'm taking him to this debacle...

I started following 'Well 88, 89 at 13, 14 years old...we were pish, but little did I know, that in less than 2 or 3 years my ultimate high as a fan was going to be achieved...

Point being, I was an impressionable teenager at the time, I was invested into the "brand"...my kid is at the other end, I want him to experience this lifetime of pain that I'm in, - (no, not really, but aye 🤪🤣) - but already his best wee pal is a die hard Rangers fan - (due to dad!)- so I fear the long game...other than totally disowning him...

Point being, if we were a far better team than we currently are, I wouldn't be at risk of having to disown my 5 year old son?! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤪🤣

I was thinking about this a couple of weeks back. Used to love going with my dad to early season games in the sun(occasionally). My wee boy is 4 and obsessed with football. Would love to take him along to his first live game at Fir Park but, to hold his interest for any length of time, he needs to see goals. He’s not going to get that with Alexander in charge. 

Maybe next year. 

Gonnna be weird here and say that I actually thought we played ok 1st half. Popped it around well. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that’s despite GA’s tactics, not because of them. (I acknowledge that we were completely toothless throughout the game). We’ve clearly spent our time in Austria  practicing switching it from one flank to the other. 

I’ve said what I’ve thought about Alexander many times before so won’t bore yous again but all I’ll say is that I think we’ve got some decent players in that squad and I hope that eventually we find a system to allow them to flourish.  

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

I'd given the benefit of the doubt that maybe he'd learn from last season, but nah, we're up to another 38 games of slow and anaemic buildup, or launching it aimlessly 80 yards, three midfielders the wrong side of the ball, three forwards nowhere near one another and one good performance in six. 

The system does not work. You're asking players to be in two places at once, still. It didn't work 30+ times last year, it won't work 30+ times this year. 

Life remains unimproved.

this

2 hours ago, stu92 said:

He said something on the radio about a team(s) cancelling on us at the last minute, and due to our pitch situation we’d been reliant on other teams being able to host us. Any ideas who bailed on us?

No idea who bailed on us but that, like everything he says is nonsense - if you want games to get legs under you you’ll always find it even if it’s intra squad nonsense at dalziel park or phoning round the local junior sides at late notice to see if they fancy a runout of an evening. 

The pitch ‘situation’ was hardly an unknown in advance and to use that as part of his excuse is pitiful. 

Get the small minded petty useless individual away from the club before he does further damage. 

Wonder how much the fine will be from UEFA for the moron who threw the water bottle onto the park near the end. Referee made a point of handing it to the UEFA delegate and indicating it had been thrown onto the pitch

8 hours ago, Ill Ray said:

Depends why they're there and how they behave. Some folk have to pick and choose their games for all sorts of reasons, and I've no problem with them only showing up for "glamour matches" (as if there's every anything glamorous about watching us). And some of them will likely drag along some mates who don't usually go, or normally go and watch someone else, and that's fine too, provided they don't act like arseholes.

If we'd like more folk to come regularly, those folk need to come along for the first time, and that's always more likely to happen at "big" games. Obviously we'd prefer it if they weren't obnoxious twats, but on the plus side, they're the least likely to come back.

I didn’t think last night would be easy but that was just brutal. I was one who’d always be trying to give GA the benefit of the doubt but that has broken me last night. 

His post match interview was embarrassing. I get how managers need to try and remain defiant or cling on to some positives. But that was just pure delusion. 

Final point (which is not GA’s fault) is on the seating in the POD stand. I bought a ticket for my ST seat and was given no info about that section being closed. It was a bit of a shambles to be honest. Heard some others got a phone call to notify them? 

Edited by tonicg

10 hours ago, Desp said:

If you can't trust a manager with a transfer budget, he shouldn't be at the football club. There's still time to change it, get rid of the c**t. 

The managers transfer budget was spent on the pitch. 
He was told to reduce the wage bill from last season 

So we end up with what we’ve got Spittal McGinn and Morris