Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

I've never been too much of a fan of Alexander, but I feel he's got a very difficult task this season.  There's every chance we could improve as a team, but end up 8th or 9th.  Getting into the Top 6 looks a big ask.  It might be in the cup competitions where GA earns a bit of appreciation from the fans.

Taking away the Glasgow two, Hearts don't look any worse off and should be comfortably in the top four again.  Dundee Utd were fairly poor last season in 4th but have done some excellent transfer business and, for my money, have now got a far better manager.  I don't see them shifting too much.  Hibs have a new manager in and have brought a fair few in.  Aberdeen are chucking money about and look likely to spend in excess of £1.5m in transfer fees.  It's never a guarantee but you'd assume they'll be back up there. 

Realistically, Celtic/Rangers/Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen/Dundee Utd should be the Top 6.  Where we have been good at in recent years is taking advantage of when one or more of them make an arse of things.  We've had more than our fair share of Top 6 finishes in the split era, but I'm struggling to see any of those clubs falling short this season. 

Our targets for this year?  I don't think the Top 6 is the be all and end all for us, albeit it would be nice to be there or thereabouts.  A cup run would see some goodwill back into this side. Don't make a c**t of it in Europe.  Get through the 2nd Round, and see who we get next.  If we get papped out against a much superior side, so be it, but hopefully have a go in doing so.  I would like us to look like a proper team again.  It's GA's team now, it needs to look like it.  A settled side (where possible) is a must, and it would be nice for a change to give Rangers/Celtic a competitive game when they come to Fir Park.  Been far too many scuddings lately for my liking.  

Good post. Top six isn't everything for us, if we're eighth but a bit more entertaining, there's some development of players and we have a go in the cups I think most people will be happy.

Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen/Dundee Utd should obviously be the top six but as you say, at least one of them usually makes a horlicks of it. And not only that, with the money they're all spending, one of them is (unless they win a cup) guaranteed to fail as sixth for that outlay is the road to ruin - and we've also seen before that once that negative spiral starts it can be hard to stop.

Edit to add: the last time the 'big six' were the top six was 2009 and the time before that 1992. It also happened in 88 and 89 so four times in the entire modern era of Scottish football...for all that it should happen, it clearly doesn't happen very often!

Edited by Handsome_Devil

15 minutes ago, Desp said:

There's every chance we could improve as a team, but end up 8th or 9th.

This is pretty much where I'm at tbh. I fully expect that we will be better this season (day I say....enjoyable even?), but finish lower in the league. If we can combine that with being competitive enough to lift our skirt at a semi at Hampden and manage at least 2 rounds in Europe, I'd be absolutely delighted with that as a season.

Edited by Al B

32 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Good post. Top six isn't everything for us, if we're eighth but a bit more entertaining, there's some development of players and we have a go in the cups I think most people will be happy.

I think that's maybe wishful thinking. If we finish 8th, chances are we'll have flirted with relegation at some point, we probably won't have scored too many goals, there will be a winless streak in there and we'll have put in some absolutely shite performances along the way.

2017/18 we finished 7th and the only thing that made that season feel decent rather than forgettable was two cup finals. 8th and even having a go in the cups (getting to a semi?) I imagine will leave most feeling like it's a season to forget, and a sizeable minority will have the pitchforks out. 

4 minutes ago, CoF said:

I think that's maybe wishful thinking. If we finish 8th, chances are we'll have flirted with relegation at some point, we probably won't have scored too many goals, there will be a winless streak in there and we'll have put in some absolutely shite performances along the way.

2017/18 we finished 7th and the only thing that made that season feel decent rather than forgettable was two cup finals. 8th and even having a go in the cups (getting to a semi?) I imagine will leave most feeling like it's a season to forget, and a sizeable minority will have the pitchforks out. 

Yeah, it's certainly on the optimistic side of things...but it's also possible to finish eighth having been safe all year, narrowly missed the top six etc. Last year when there was a bawhair between fourth and 10th was highly unusual, even in Scotland with a small league and often little between the teams over 90 mins. There's usually some kind of structure to the table and so long as we're not in the fight at the bottom I think our fans - apart from a vocal minority - appreciate we're not going to be top half every year and a season when the top three look absolutely nailed on plus United, Hibs and Aberdeen are spending wildly, it's a year to look for positives/enjoyment beyond simple league position.

19 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I see the "why aren't we filling the first team with Academy players" crowd are at it again on Twitter.

giphy.gif

A lot of them are the same people who have been moaning that some clubs have brought in half a dozen or more new players while we've done nearly nothing too...

Flow was on SSN earlier - apparently we've kb'd offers from Holland for KVV and there's a new contract on the table for him (which we already knew I think). It's a very weird line of discussion though given it doesn't actually clarify anything and it's a conversation that I don't think anyone was really having (albeit I'd be well up for him extending).

Here's Andy Dibble.
Here's Kev and Blair
Edited by capt_oats

Anyone else think that the first row (possibly 2) are going to have a terrible view when the advertisement boards cover up the space? 

Considering how close and good a view it was before compared to the new view.

PS - Yes it's probably very boring chat if you don't sit in the front few rows. 

Screenshot_20220712-184353__01.jpg

Anyone else think that the first row (possibly 2) are going to have a terrible view when the advertisement boards cover up the space? 
Considering how close and good a view it was before compared to the new view.
PS - Yes it's probably very boring chat if you don't sit in the front few rows. 
Screenshot_20220712-184353__01.thumb.jpg.24e8aa09bac70c29ab30239672bd5ef1.jpg
Especially if you've got Alan Burrows standing in front of you!

12 minutes ago, ZX1886 said:

Clicked on this thinking it was going to be one of those wind-up pages with 120 followers. Hopefully not true…

Sorry but...:lol:

It's also beautifully timed if you started the day reading someone in the club's mentions wanging on about us not having any sellable assets in the squad.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sorry but...:lol:

It's also beautifully timed if you started the day reading someone in the club's mentions wanging on about us not having any sellable assets in the squad.

That's perfect. A Karen giving it, "Cheers, weans greeting". Social media top trumps there. 

Just now, Londonwell said:

That's perfect. A Karen giving it, "Cheers, weans greeting". Social media top trumps there. 

Tremendous.

If true, club possibly making a profit on a guy they paid a nominal fee for and who's replacement may already be in the door in Morris, but demented housewife thinks they should keep him off the back of her Shelling out about 50 sheets for a top with his name on!! Fucking love this stuff.

Not something I had expected to be honest, but if we were to bank a profit on Woollery after 1 okay season then I wouldn’t be too unhappy seeing him move on.
With Morris in the door and able play wide, Efford (kind of) and Shields able to do donkey work in the front line, and the rumoured/potential move to a 3-5-2 it’s maybe no surprise that the club are happy enough to see him go as I’m not entirely sure where he fits in in that formation.