Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I suppose it depends if by an "exciting" signing you're talking about a certain style of player, or just a glamorous name, but I'm not entirely sure that's what we actually need in tbh. Slattery, Tierney, Van Veen, Efford, Woolery and Shields are all recent signings that are probably looked on as potential matchwinners. Presumably the hope is that a few of them will kick on after a full pre-season-maybe supplemented by a few attacking signings, but the bulk of our other incomings will be more "solid" squad additions.

FWIW, I think Spittal is an upgrade technique wise on a few we've let go, even if he is a fairly boring name.

5 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd like us to sign someone who excites me, but that's me being selfish.

Not that he'd be interested, we could afford him and we'd make anying by selling him on, but as far as an exciting signings goes, Snoddy would be up there for me.

He'll end up hanging up his boots in 2026 in the Championship however making 4x as much per week as he would at Motherwell. Offer him a route to coaching however maybe got something, don't know if his Mrs is from up here too.

Complete wishful thinking.

I suppose it depends if by an "exciting" signing you're talking about a certain style of player, or just a glamorous name, but I'm not entirely sure that's what we actually need in tbh. Slattery, Tierney, Van Veen, Efford, Woolery and Shields are all recent signings that are probably looked on as potential matchwinners. Presumably the hope is that a few of them will kick on after a full pre-season-maybe supplemented by a few attacking signings, but the bulk of our other incomings will be more "solid" squad additions.

FWIW, I think Spittal is an upgrade technique wise on a few we've let go, even if he is a fairly boring name.
Probably spot on but, boo - boring answer [emoji1].

10 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

You don't like that I am not excited?

9 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:
11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
You've made some bad posts in the past, but this is a real nadir.

What's wrong with wanting to be excited about the football we're going to be watching?

Did you both miss the point of my post?

8 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Saints really enjoyed that relegation battle eh?

We hated the play off so much we plan on making sure we avoid it this time around...

No McGhee for us tonight. We played Cammy Kerr at CH in a friendly and signed a new CH today.

The rest of our missing players were in the stand. 

Reckon the McGhee thing is a goer.

We hated the play off so much we plan on making sure we avoid it this time around...
It would appear so. Was it some sort of very veiled reference to Ciftci? Sometimes these subtleties don't come off in writing. If not, please enlighten us.

Edit - no idea why the quote hasn't included your reference to mine and Busta's comments and can't be arsed looking into it at this time of night.

57 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

No McGhee for us tonight. We played Cammy Kerr at CH in a friendly and signed a new CH today.

The rest of our missing players were in the stand. 

Reckon the McGhee thing is a goer.

Out of curiosity, did McGhee ever play in a back 3 for Dundee?

Also, I didn't realise that he was born in EK.

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Out of curiosity, did McGhee ever play in a back 3 for Dundee?

Also, I didn't realise that he was born in EK.

Yep, that was McPake's original plan. McGhee, Jordon Forster & Josh Meekings. Forster as the 'brute' was an absolute disaster and the formation just didn't work out until Christophe Berra came in and organised them.

Best on the right side of a three.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Yep, that was McPake's original plan. McGhee, Jordon Forster & Josh Meekings. Forster as the 'brute' was an absolute disaster and the formation just didn't work out until Christophe Berra came in and organised them.

Best on the right side of a three.

This is what surprises me about the move, should it be happening obvs, as ignoring whether McGhee is an ok player for the league or not, he certainly isn't a massive upgrade on what we have, he definitely isn't the 'leader of men' type we need regardless of playing three/four at the back and  we just signed McGinn who covers there too.

Fair enough JM can possibly cover a few positions but again we already have bodies for the middle of the park, we need a genuine first pick six rather than yet another worker who can run up and down.

Edited by Handsome_Devil
typo

Hes probably seen as replacing Mark O'Hara and Liam Grimshaw in your squad.

CM who just rubs about lots, can cover at the back in a few positions, won't moan about being sat on the bench most weeks.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-mcginn-hibs-exit-admission-27402871

Interesting quote from the article in link above.

That’s his decision but at my age I don’t want to be having to fight my way into a team, I want to be playing all the time.

So Paul McGinn was told he would not be a regular starter by Lee Johnson so he chose to move on. Maybe wishful thinking on his part but it almost suggests he was told he would be a starter ? Possibly he weighed it up and thought I will have better chance at Motherwell. But as has been debated on a few occasions are we going to see a change in formation to 5 at the back. Like Scotland but with ODonnell as wing back pushing further up the pitch as he does / did for Scotland. 

Surely would take a lot for the gaffer to move away from his beloved the 4-3-3.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes probably seen as replacing Mark O'Hara and Liam Grimshaw in your squad.

CM who just rubs about lots, can cover at the back in a few positions, won't moan about being sat on the bench most weeks.

Perhaps...but we already have five or six midfielders, if we're trying to trim the squad (as stated) and keep a pathway for kids (as stated), I really don't see the point in adding another journeyman who doesn't definitively solve a problem in the first XI.

It's rare we don't have to do a complete rebuild of the squad over summer, the whole idea of only having to add a few players was to use the money saved from several departures on two-three of (relatively speaking) high quality who would make a difference. Or so I thought. Culling MOH, Donnelly, Grimshaw etc seemed a good idea, but it's rather pointless if we're just going to sign identikit replacements.