Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

A guy on our forum suggesting you lads are looking at Jordan McGhee.

Had a tough, torrid season in the Prem. Could easily be one of those that are too good for the Championship but can't manage the step up to the Prem. I personally believe it was injuries that ruined him being more invaluable to us last season. Injured during pre season then again early on and just couldn't catch up on himself.

Prior to that he's been a bawhair away from being our PotY (a tie between him and Paul McGowan was settled due to McGowan's longevity at the club) in his first season at CH, was the player that got our season going in his second as a CM doing all the running about in midfield for Charlie Adam and Shaun Byrne and helping out at RB in a pinch as well.

Due to last season, McGhee won't have as many people tearing up if he leaves, but he's one of our more invaluable players IMO, but as I say, might be one of those weird one's that struggles with the step up.

Would require a decent, modest fee but his versatility even if his not guaranteed quality would make it worth it for anywhere up to a £150k punt (possibly get him for considerably less - just plucking a hugely optimistic figure out of nowhere).

Think he'd be best suited to a 3 man midfield or 3 man defence. Good with the ball at his feet. Would ideally need an absolute brute alongside him at the back though.

Hope it's not true.

Edited by Ludo*1

44 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

A guy on our forum suggesting you lads are looking at Jordan McGhee.

Had a tough, torrid season in the Prem. Could easily be one of those that are too good for the Championship but can't manage the step up to the Prem. I personally believe it was injuries that ruined him being more invaluable to us last season. Injured during pre season then again early on and just couldn't catch up on himself.

Prior to that he's been a bawhair away from being our PotY (a tie between him and Paul McGowan was settled due to McGowan's longevity at the club) in his first season at CH, was the player that got our season going in his second as a CM doing all the running about in midfield for Charlie Adam and Shaun Byrne and helping out at RB in a pinch as well.

Due to last season, McGhee won't have as many people tearing up if he leaves, but he's one of our more invaluable players IMO, but as I say, might be one of those weird one's that struggles with the step up.

Would require a decent, modest fee but his versatility even if his not guaranteed quality would make it worth it for anywhere up to a £150k punt (possibly get him for considerably less).

Think he'd be best suited to a 3 man midfield or 3 man defence. Good with the ball at his feet. Would ideally need an absolute brute alongside him at the back though.

Hope it's not true.

Is the guy that mentioned it on TDBF not a bit of a shitehawk? I notice he's replied to a guy saying it's not something that he's read but instead he's "been told" that we're "sniffing about". Any time I've taken a dip into that forum he seems to have been swinging his dick about something.

Tbf, someone like McGhee would kind of fit in with the trend Spittal/McGinn trend we've seen ie: relatively experienced Premiership players and as you say he's versatile which although we have Barry Maguire for that sort of role we've also lost both O'Hara and Donnelly so it wouldn't be massively surprising if we'd taken a look at him.

It's been mentioned a fair bit on this thread but our squad is pretty stacked at the moment and there's probably not that much room so being honest I'd say that it feels like our priorities at the moment should probably be a centre forward and an actual midfielder.

Edited by capt_oats

Alexander does like a player who can cover multiple positions and CH, RB and MID would be in his mindset. If he could do LB then I’d say it was a much more attractive.

I suppose it all comes down to if he thinks £150k is better spent on a transfer or a £3k a week salary for a  quality free agent (at our level). Which option is going to offer a better potential transfer fee in 2 years?

If a move is made it would probably be at the expense of an existing defender such as Ojala.

He’ll be worth buttons in January and heehaw next summer I guess?

Irony of us taking a CH off you after the whole Lamie thing in January.

20 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Is the guy that mentioned it on TDBF not a bit of a shitehawk? I notice he's replied to a guy saying it's not something that he's read but instead he's "been told" that we're "sniffing about". Any time I've taken a dip into that forum he seems to have been swinging his dick about something.

Tbf, someone like McGhee would kind of fit in with the trend Spittal/McGinn trend we've seen ie: relatively experienced Premiership players and as you say he's versatile which although we have Barry Maguire for that sort of role we've also lost O'Hara so it wouldn't be massively surprised if we'd taken a look at him.

It's been mentioned a fair bit on this thread but our squad is pretty stacked at the moment and there's probably not that much room so being honest I'd say that it feels like our priorities at the moment should probably be a centre forward and an actual midfielder.

Aye, he tends to be extremely stubborn and is usually involved in the more heated debates. I don't think he's ITK at all but not the type to just make pish up either.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Aye, he tends to be extremely stubborn and is usually involved in the more heated debates. I don't think he's ITK at all but not the type to just make pish up either.

Yeah, that's the impression I got, which is why I asked.

Like I say, given we've lost both O'Hara and Donnelly from the squad it wouldn't be a huge surprise if we'd taken a look at McGhee as an *option* but chucking money at Dundee to get him is a completely different conversation.

To that point, is there a chance McGhee has some sort of relegation clause or agreement with the club that would make it easier for him to move for a more nominal fee?

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, that's the impression I got, which is why I asked.

Like I say, given we've lost both O'Hara and Donnelly from the squad it wouldn't be a huge surprise if we'd taken a look at McGhee as an *option* but chucking money at Dundee to get him is a completely different conversation.

To that point, is there a chance McGhee has some sort of relegation clause or agreement with the club that would make it easier for him to move for a more nominal fee?

I don't think a nominal fee is out of the question. Really depends on our budget and Bowyer's opinion of him rather than any clause or agreements. Bowyer might fancy having the ability to spend McGhee's wage on his own man.

I do know that McGhee didn't feature in our first friendly and we had two different 11s playing and there was no mention up until now at least of him being injured.

As I say, I plucked the 150k out of thin air. There's nothing to suggest we'd not take something much, much lower than that.

25 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

If we're spending anything on a player, I don't see it being more than around 50k.

Vaguely related but I noticed this from Burrows in response to one of his reply guys who is "Concerned about the early signing philosophy, no longer players to be developed and sold…a lot of good things off the pitch just nothing on it so far".

God grant me Alan Burrows' patience etc...

I'd not be unhappy if we picked up McGhee for free/buttons to add some depth to the squad, if we were paying anything significant for him as fee/wages to start regularly I'd be concerned.

Tbh Spittal, McGinn and McGhee, should he appear, are all fine but I must say when we were only supposedly to be going for four-six players this summer, I was hoping we'd set our sights a little higher. Kelly/SSJ/Slattery/Ojala obviously provided a mixed return but I don't think there's much doubt they all at least indicated an ambition significantly higher than merely solid.

19 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I'd like us to sign someone who excites me, but that's me being selfish.

You've made some bad posts in the past, but this is a real nadir.

It always amazes me when people think we should have a 20+ man squad full of players who are brought through from youths or bought for £20k and we'll sell them all for £2m each.  

Guys like Paul McGinn & Blair Spittal are very 'meh' signings, but every single Motherwell squad in history is littered with guys like that. Brought in for f**k all, do us a turn for a year or two, then leave again.  Do folk really think there's an endless supply of folk playing for Shrewsbury or Nuneaton fucking Borough that we can scoop up, turn into a star and sell for a massive fee?

Football fans are morons.  Every one of us.