Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I noticed a lot of comments about lack of helmets.

Ha, that was literally the first thing I thought when seeing that. I guess a couple of kilometres in a sleepy part of rural Austria hardly the most risky mind.

9 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I noticed a lot of comments about lack of helmets.

Something very meta for helmets to complain about helmets.

Looking for their next teaker "My kid watched that and he now thinks its OK, thought you guys were meant to be role models?", "The pitch isn't flat?" and the obligatory "who we singing next Alan?"

13 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Ha, that was literally the first thing I thought when seeing that. I guess a couple of kilometres in a sleepy part of rural Austria hardly the most risky mind.

See, the first thing i thought of was that there was a pre-season video published of McGhee taking the team out on bikes along the Clyde canal but looking through the archive on the MFC YouTube I couldn't find it.

Turns out they've made it private.

1540361785_ScreenShot2022-07-03at17_45_56.thumb.png.29bf9a2d42f20154ffa7bc68175d912f.png

Footgolf is still there though...

Edited by capt_oats

Rather than raging about helmets, what's vexing me most atm - in a curious manner, I'm not going full blown Twitter - is that we're 2.5 weeks away from a crucial opening game to the competitive season and the only friendly we have announced is Thistle. I know there's the reported match against Steyr in Austria but unless I missed it the club didn't actually confirm it, suggesting it might be more a 3x30 minute kickabout than anything approaching a dress rehearsal.

It's one thing treating the LC group as semi pre-season given a combination of the opposition, the stakes and that in a group with 1.5ish going through you obviously have a bigger safety net than a two-legged knock-out tie.

I know back in the days we entered Q1 in the first week of July against pub teams as we felt we couldn't fit in a proper break, training and friendlies but that doesn't seem as necessary now. I hope we know what we're doing!

Edited by Handsome_Devil
typo

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Rather than raging about helmets, what's vexing me most atm - in a curious manner, I'm not going full blown Twitter - is that we're 2.5 weeks away from a crucial opening game to the competitive season and the only friendly we have announced is Thistle. I know there's the reported match against Steyr in Austria but unless I missed it the club didn't actually confirm it, suggesting it might be more a 3x30 minute kickabout than anything approaching a dress rehearsal.

It's one thing treating the LC group as semi pre-season given a combination of the opposition, the stakes and that in a group with 1.5ish going through you obviously have a bigger safety net than a two-legged knock-out tie.

I know back in the days we entered Q1 in the first week of July against pub teams as we felt we couldn't fit in a proper break, training and friendlies but that doesn't seem as necessary now. I hope we know what we're doing!

Also, the game against Partick isn't even confirmed either. It all relys on Partick ground being ready by that time.

If you remember the state of Particks ground last season......

Oh, sorry for the Double post but the Motherwell colts/B team will be drawn in the Spfl trust trophy today at 1pm.

We could getbthe following:

• Albion Rovers
  • Cowdenbeath
  • Bonnyrigg Rose
  • East Kilbride 
  • Spartans
  • East Stirlingshire

Would like away to East Kilbride as that would be a nice away day to go to. Pretty close as well.

39 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, well fan for life said:
If they were out on a serious bit of cycling I'd be inclined to say they should have helmets on. But seeing as they appear to be pedalling along at walking pace through a quiet Austrian town I reckon they're probably fine.

But did they stop at red traffic lights?

Hopefully not. While also flagrantly not paying road tax. All the hits.

1 hour ago, Phillips455 said:

Oh, sorry for the Double post but the Motherwell colts/B team will be drawn in the Spfl trust trophy today at 1pm.

We could get the following:

• Albion Rovers
  • Cowdenbeath
  • Bonnyrigg Rose
  • East Kilbride 
  • Spartans
  • East Stirlingshire

Would like away to East Kilbride as that would be a nice away day to go to. Pretty close as well.

We've got EK at home.

Annan at home in the 2nd round should we qualify.

Edited by capt_oats

I suppose the announcement of the B team cup fixtures and Burrows suggesting the Reserve league is restarting begs the question - who's taking the B/Development Team? Kerr alongside his role with the 18s?

It was obviously the position Ross was in previously but what with that tier having effectively been mothballed/binned through the pandemic we've not really had to replace him (albeit Lasley seemed to have filled his role with the 1st team).

Then again, Alexander suggested that we were still in the market for a coach when he spoke to the press the other week. Which makes sense as at the moment the first team coaching staff consists of him, Lucketti and Dibble (plus the assorted S&C types).

"Staff recruitment is harder than player recruitment.There's good people out there but we work so, so much together.

"We work every day morning until night. It's a really challenging career, coaching and managing. You need to have good people around you.

"We have spoken to a couple of people so we have ideas. I'm sure we will get the right people in but if that needs to take a bit of time, I'm happy to take it, rather than make a wrong decision.

"I'd rather it be the right person. They need to fit in with Motherwell too. That is important."

Link

Edited by capt_oats