Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

It would be interesting to know if his family is ‘Rangers minded’ and if that is still the big determining factor in these decisions.

Rangers seem to have hoovered up a number of starlets from Scottish clubs this season.

I'd guess his Da will be getting a few special handshakes at the lodge tonight. General consensus on the grapevine is that the family were agitating for the move during negotiations on his professional contract. Which is their right of course, but I don't think it's the best option for Rice at all.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, I take your point but other than the expense there's nothing to stop trialists going to Austria if we wanted.

AFAIK St Johnstone haven't announced Carey but he's over in Spain with them and presumably having a lovely time.

Also, FWIW we were at training camps when we announced Ciftci and McCormack (albeit in the January window).

Yeah I get that but the two signings we’ve made and the promotion of the boys won’t be far of the wages savings from those we released. So by my reckoning we’ve still got a tidy amount left to do some business.

I dunno, I suppose the sort of players I aspire we get wouldn’t be at a place to prove themselves to gain a contract.

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's obviously slightly disappointing but I find it pretty hard to get worked up about a 15 year old boy deciding to play football somewhere else. Born in 2006 ffs, f**k me.

It all depends. If he is is good as everyone says he is. And (a big if) he fulfils his potential then the outcome of this is we could have lost millions in a potential future transfer fee. He could have been the next Turnbull. 

Then again he could end up not making the grade and to be fair this happens to Celtic and Rangers also. The most high profile one is Billy Gilmour joining Chelsea from Rangers. Even recently Rangers lost a striker to Aston Villa for a fee around £350k. I doubt we would have got that but hopefully we got decent enough compensation 🤷‍♂️

Aye, I find it difficult to get hugely annoyed when the young players go at that age. 

Could be the next best thing could be the opposite. 

Was it Tom Leighton who was the next big prodigy, went somewhere else and is now at Albion?

16 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It's obviously slightly disappointing but I find it pretty hard to get worked up about a 15 year old boy deciding to play football somewhere else. Born in 2006 ffs, f**k me.

Tbh, it's hard to get worked up about the Rice thing as at the age he is his career could go in any direction. Yes it'd have been nice to keep hold of him if he's as good as folk seem to think he could be but ultimately he's 15 you've got to let him make his choices.

Jamie Semple (whose brother also signed for Rangers a while back) is a good example that the whole "you should stay at the club..." doesn't always play out.

He was linked with big clubs as a teenager (Man City, Liverpool, Spurs), IIRC McGhee wanted him in training with the first team at 14, played in the Scotland age groups - he stuck around signed his pro deal and an extension at 18 before being released and ending up part of an East Fife team relegated from L1.

Rice might turn out to be fucking brilliant or...not. It's tough to get bent out of shape about it especially when the other Scotland Youth *did* actually sign pro terms with the club.

You win some, you lose some eh?

10 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Aye, I find it difficult to get hugely annoyed when the young players go at that age. 

Was it Tom Leighton who was the next big prodigy, went somewhere else and is now at Albion?

Can't mind him but Semple was definitely a 'next big thing' and look how that turned out.

There are enough examples to show there's no guarantees.

One thing that's always bemused me given how often star kids don't make the grade is how little credit Robinson got for bringing in Turnbull successfully. Even now the narrative is generally he played him because he had no choice, he should have picked him sooner etc when you could just as easily make the case that SR, actually knowing his player personally, judged the timing perfectly and absolutely nailed it.

Was it Leighton that was linked with some big Spanish clubs?

Agree on failing to get fussed by it. Between 15 and being David Turnbull there's a tonne of ifs, buts and maybes. I mind being fairly vexed at Slane leaving for Celtic, but his 'comeback documentary' highlights quite how fucked he was by injuries almost immediately at Celtic, and the rest all followed. 

In another timeline Turnbull heads off before his breakthrough with us, his medical reveals the same weird knee thing and he's struggling for gametime at Clyde. 

28 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Karamoko Dembele immediately springs to mind. Everyone raved about him when he was 13/14. Now he just got released by Celtic and absolutely nobody noticed.

Yeah Tom Leighton was on trial with Benfica i'm sure. 

Echo the above, at that age, it's not really a choice of breaking into the first team versus another year or two in the Rangers B team. it's literally a case of playing at the exact same level, under (i'd imagine) better coaches, better players, top level facilities for more money, bit of a no brainer?

7 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Was it Leighton that was linked with some big Spanish clubs?

4 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Yeah Tom Leighton was on trial with Benfica i'm sure. 

Aye, Leighton was Benfica. https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/14711158.tom-leighton-scottish-youngster-time-benfica-becoming-next-oliver-burke/

Ended up moving to Watford. https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/16269862.watford-youngster-tom-leighton-sets-sights-first-team-breakthrough/

The only player leaving that got me worked up recently was Watt - but that was for badge-kissery (and Utd doing a pretty good number on us TBH) rather than a promising player leaving too early. I don't think it's possible to get worked up about someone none of us have seen play - it's like a younger version of Casper Sloth.

Jamie Semple will always have his cut back for Turnbull to score that one two with the crossbar goal. His small moment of fame.

Just as Dom Thomas will always have a nutmeg on Jim Goodwin before setting up the 5th goal in a 5-0 win if my memory serves me right.

45 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Someone was asking about the whole ST/streaming patter a while back.

Mildly interested to see Burrows reply on the subject.

Interesting to see that, I guess for us it was financially beneficial rather than detrimental. I can only think that is what fuels Flao’s support.

I imagine it’s detrimental for the OF hence why the fingers have been snapped and Doncaster is doing their bidding.

Can’t we just go rogue like The Rangers or do we actually abide by the rules?

Edited by Kapowzer

On 27/06/2022 at 22:37, Busta Nut said:

There is a shitey wee account claiming we've signed someone. Not the Japanese or Faroese persons

See that boy is apparently still at Morecambe (also the shitey wee account has deleted the original Tweet :lol:).

And now he's signed a contract extension...

Edited by capt_oats