Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

With the rise in the cost of living, I wod have expected a large decrease in season ticket renewals/purchases.

How many people had a season ticket last season but now couldn't really afford to spend the £350~ due to Electricity and food costs? Still glad the sales have been going well so far.

Was thinking about this - I think football at our level has long since priced out a lot of people who will be worst hit by inflation/price rises (ie - those with the least money). When it's £25-odd quid for general entry across the country, folk with the lowest incomes probably couldn't afford regular football anyway (and would be the least likely to have £350+ lying around to be used or be eligible for credit to pay them up).

I think the current situation will further entrench the effect that we've seen over the past 15 years (and will obviously affect folk that were on the margins of affording a season ticket previously). The other part is that the clubs themselves aren't immune to inflationary pressures and will be in the situation of having to increase already overpriced gate prices and season tickets to avoid their budgets being killed.

I'm aware Motherwell do their best on this stuff but we are also in one of the poorest parts of the country so there are limits to what's possible I guess.

I think the business decision to do the free season tickets was a good one - over and above being the right thing to do, it kept everyone in the habit of buying season tickets.  I'd be interested to know what the picture looks like across the league (I noticed Hearts actually sold out of season tickets which is really impressive)

Would also be good to see how it compares across early bird discounts too, some teams have longer than others for their fans, would that play a part?

Hearts was a bit of a given since they reached the group stages of Europe, one way to guarantee a ticket.

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I'd be interested to know what the picture looks like across the league (I noticed Hearts actually sold out of season tickets which is really impressive)

St Mirren have a totaliser running on the home page of their website. Currently sitting at 2953.

Their early bird is up on 3rd July.

2056421910_ScreenShot2022-06-27at12_13_43.thumb.png.b31e0ed1abfa0f3adbdb3c32e60f22ce.png

St Johnstone aren't doing a running total AFAIK but @The Saintee pointed out on their thread that apparently someone on their version of SO counted them and their STs are around 2000.

1520235106_ScreenShot2022-06-27at12_23_31.thumb.png.16b2cf381e63d1f96b31525ea8ff39c1.png

Killie "passed the 3,000 Season Ticket mark" on June 17.

United "edging closer" to 5.5k

Edited by capt_oats

While we're on the subject of STs, quick question for those who may have experience since we switched to the electronic cards. I haven't been a ST holder for a number of years and it was always paper books. I got one again last season and have renewed this season, doing it online. Do we just keep the same card and it updates automatically, because on the email receipt it says pick up from Fir Park?

On the numbers, I think those look very promising given the current financial climate, indeed it made me think twice about renewing or potentially moving to a less expensive stand. If we get close to that 4400 number too, probably suggests the chat from earlier this year that Alexander's style might have a detrimental affect on sales haven't come to fruition. 

While we're on the subject of STs, quick question for those who may have experience since we switched to the electronic cards. I haven't been a ST holder for a number of years and it was always paper books. I got one again last season and have renewed this season, doing it online. Do we just keep the same card and it updates automatically, because on the email receipt it says pick up from Fir Park?
On the numbers, I think those look very promising given the current financial climate, indeed it made me think twice about renewing or potentially moving to a less expensive stand. If we get close to that 4400 number too, probably suggests the chat from earlier this year that Alexander's style might have a detrimental affect on sales haven't come to fruition. 
I have had the card for last two seasons and I went into ticket office they said they add it to the card automatically. So just use the same card this year. Pretty efficient.

1 hour ago, Mr Hahn said:

As @Well Well stated, it gets automatically uploaded to the card. For games not part of the season ticket (I.e. cup and Euro Games) you log in online and buy the tickets through the account assossiated with the season ticket and they should then be uploaded and usable for the match.

If there is issue with the card then i would suggest going to the ticket office to see what they can do.

Has anyone taken the option to spread the ST payments this year ? Renewed in person at the office about 3 weeks ago now, they took 1st payment then and there and said they'd send out details to set up a SO for the remaining payments , but so far no word from them . 

31 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Has anyone taken the option to spread the ST payments this year ? Renewed in person at the office about 3 weeks ago now, they took 1st payment then and there and said they'd send out details to set up a SO for the remaining payments , but so far no word from them . 

I phoned up to renew and they took the first installment over the phone, then sent me an email straight away with a receipt and the clubs bank details attached so I could set up the standing order for the remaining payments. I'd just give them a quick phone to get it sorted. 

7 hours ago, Swello said:

I think the business decision to do the free season tickets was a good one - over and above being the right thing to do, it kept everyone in the habit of buying season tickets.  I'd be interested to know what the picture looks like across the league (I noticed Hearts actually sold out of season tickets which is really impressive)

Brought it up in a thread a few months back that didn't get any traction. As one of 4 clubs that had interruption insurance in place (the others being Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee). Not so much a "good" decision, as a fan owned club when getting a payout from an insurance company to cover lost revenues then ask fans for season ticket money on top would have been a moral and ethical minefield. It was the only decision for where we are as a club.

However it seems the other three clubs had no issues and offered no gestures back (if they did nobody mentioned it in the thread).

Edited by Kapowzer

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I didn't know that. You wonder what fans of those clubs made of them getting the money in twice over.

Only had about a dozen responses and those that did didn't seem overly bothered or surprised. Aberdeen's payout was being contested.

Edited by Kapowzer

7 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

If we get close to that 4400 number too, probably suggests the chat from earlier this year that Alexander's style might have a detrimental affect on sales haven't come to fruition. 

I don't think we can underestimate how much securing top 6 then Europe will have made here. 

In another universe, Lamie doesn't pop up with that injury time equaliser and we sell considerably fewer season tickets instead. 

On 24/06/2022 at 21:24, welldaft said:

To answer my own Q. I read he is not 16 until October. So I understand he cannot sign a pro contract before then. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-celtic-transfer-fight-wonderkid-27341846

And there you have it….Rangers signing his brother with the hope it entices Bailey may give them the edge. Would be great if we could keep him…but I guess that just became a long shot 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, welldaft said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rangers-celtic-transfer-fight-wonderkid-27341846

And there you have it….Rangers signing his brother with the hope it entices Bailey may give them the edge. Would be great if we could keep him…but I guess that just became a long shot 🤷‍♂️

How much claim do we have on a boy who hasn’t signed a pro contract?

12 minutes ago, ropy said:

How much claim do we have on a boy who hasn’t signed a pro contract?

Not much tbh - we'd be due a small development fee (which would be tied to training and support costs during the player's time at the club, rather than any value we might think they are worth) which is based on some complex SFA maths I don't have the energy to interperet right now.

We'd also get solidarity payments from any future transfer fees which would be around 1.5%, as he's been registered in our youth setup for 3+ years since he turned 12.

If the club feels that we're unlikely to convince him to stay, then I think they could agree to transfer his youth registration to another scottish club in exchange for future add-ons or performance related payments I think. Again, the laws there are quite opaque there so unsure if there is an upper limit, and it relies on the other club being decent, which realistically wont happen if either of the ugly sisters are trying to poach him.

This is starting to feel like the well trodden story of a Da who’s getting tempted by the players lounge and all that goes with it at an OF club.

I wonder what kickbacks red top journo’s give to get all these wee stories out of Murray Park and Lennoxtown. 

The Rice scenario is something that's been often discussed on here, it is what it is.

What's slightly weird is that the Rangers and Manchester City interest was first mentioned months ago (like, 6 months ago) and it barely registered with Motherwell Twitter but now it's an 'Old Firm tug-of-war' folk are getting worked into a shoot.

Edited by capt_oats