Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

I'm the opposite, I've got time for supporters of any club within 20 miles of Glasgow who don't align with the OF bullshit.

I would be up for us signing Gogic just because they want him back, keeps the banter bus bobbing along.

I agree with this largely. Provincial sides within the catchment area of the gruesome twosome. The fact that catchment area is probably 200+ miles means a lot of credit is given to those who support other teams within the central belt and Strathclyde specifically. 

Edited by welldaft

Why? I enjoy a little bit of temporary needle with a bigger fish that pinches our folk periodically (namely our never-learning friends in the north) but outside the Old Firm and 'derbies' the only mob I take particular pleasure in beating is Hearts, the trauma of a youth spent getting soaked on the Gorgie terrace watching us get utterly humped in the late 80s.
When we have no real connection to them I can't understand why anyone registers any animosity for St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Falkirk etc. It's even an okay away day so it's not like you'd get rid of a Livingston/St Johnstone like trip should they go down.
Completely with you on the feelings for Hearts. I've mentioned before that I'm not one for holding a grudge but still have a thing about Hearts for them being so detestable in the 80's. [emoji16]

As for St. Mirren, in the absence of a proper local derby, a bit of kiddie-on needle for banter's sake helps to spice things up. No great animosity on my part though.

5 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

' the only mob I take particular pleasure in beating is Hearts, the trauma of a youth spent getting soaked on the Gorgie terrace watching us get utterly humped in the late 80s.

This. And for this reason. Also Dave McPherson and Craig Levien and John Robertson and Walter Kidd and Henry Smith....

3 minutes ago, Swello said:

This. And for this reason. Also Dave McPherson and Craig Levien and John Robertson and Walter Kidd and Henry Smith....

Used to absolutely love watching McPherson losing his shit and going all shades of purple in rage when the East Stand gave him the old donkey noises every time he was near. 

3 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Used to absolutely love watching McPherson losing his shit and going all shades of purple in rage when the East Stand gave him the old donkey noises every time he was near. 

Yeh - two things happened in the early 90's that calmed me down at the football - we started beating Hearts quite regularly and we started to win at Pittodrie. There was definitely a point where I prized beating Hearts over any other team, including the OF. 

To echo others, I've never had any specific needle towards any other team like us - it's varied over the years depending on results and who was playing for them. Accies are probably the only team that have had me close to the edge in recent times - not because of any derby stuff per se but just because they managed to be (a) fucking horrible to play against, (b) had players that I hated or (c) handed out some ridiculous doings to us (and (d) sometimes all of the above were true in the same game).

34 minutes ago, Well Well said:

This guy has posted on twitter he is in Scotland on trial with a club. 6'08" striker. Not sure it's with us though. Although we do have a few players in on trial from a few posts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Frederiksen

So, a 26 year old Faroese giant whose career highlights so far, outwith his homeland, have been bouncing around the lower leagues of Finland, Denmark, and Austria? 

At 26, and with that track record, i'd put him in the 'extreme longshot' category no matter who he's on trial with. I'm calling Ross County on this one.

(Now half expecting a double whammy of him being paraded at our new away kit unveiling before the week's out, if they can find one big enough).

I think the business decision to do the free season tickets was a good one - over and above being the right thing to do, it kept everyone in the habit of buying season tickets.  I'd be interested to know what the picture looks like across the league (I noticed Hearts actually sold out of season tickets which is really impressive)

50 minutes ago, Swello said:

I think the business decision to do the free season tickets was a good one - over and above being the right thing to do, it kept everyone in the habit of buying season tickets.  I'd be interested to know what the picture looks like across the league (I noticed Hearts actually sold out of season tickets which is really impressive)

Aye. No doubt.

Tbh, it caught my eye as it's felt like the ST stuff has been a bit more low key this summer - the socials has really just been re-posts of the promo video. Maybe that's because we still seem to be short of a 'Head of Digital. Brand and Communications' (the vacancy is still listed on the official site) or it's been a conscious strategy decision not to kick the arse out of it (or maybe there's been no difference and I've just not been paying attention).

Either way, it's good to see the numbers are "going really well".

Edited by capt_oats

With the rise in the cost of living, I wod have expected a large decrease in season ticket renewals/purchases.

How many people had a season ticket last season but now couldn't really afford to spend the £350~ due to Electricity and food costs? Still glad the sales have been going well so far.

8 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

With the rise in the cost of living, I wod have expected a large decrease in season ticket renewals/purchases.

How many people had a season ticket last season but now couldn't really afford to spend the £350~ due to Electricity and food costs? Still glad the sales have been going well so far.

It's a fair point and one I would have expected the club to be a bit more proactive in addressing through the media/campaigns/branding/whatever you call it. We got away with things last season having made Europe so the chance would have been there to build things up again. OTOH, there clearly is a gap in the media dept right now and if we're approaching similar numbers of 'real' ST sales then perhaps the club was right to keep things low key.

I do think though - and this is a feeling rather than objective fact - that we're drifting a bit atm rather than working up a head of steam for the season. Does it matter now? Not really...but fairly or not any kind of malaise means tempers will be short should we not start the season in form and I'm genuinely surprised the club aren't working on it when the chance is there. Plenty time for that to come ofc.